Forums: Art & Literature:
Literature

Audiobooks

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 03:08:33
Do you listen to audiobooks? If so, what kinds of literature? How does it compare to reading? Any particular favorites you’ve listened to in the past?
mrmhead On about 18 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 11:32:40
I tried it once.

In the car, I'd either miss part of the story, or not be paying attention to traffic.

Sitting at home, I fell asleep.

I prefer reading on the Kindle. (white text on black background)
It's easier to go back to re-read a part.
chaski On about 6 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 15:31:15
Over all I would say that I prefer to read over being read to. I like to write notes in the margins of my books and sometimes underline things. So, reading real books is my preference. I do have an eReader, which I like also.

Anyway, on topic... samples from the Chaski audio library...

> A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan - Carlos Casteneda. I guess this is now considered "new age", but was originally meant to be more along the lines of "cultural anthropology". I preferred reading it to listening to it, so I did not get the rest of his books in audio. Also, I really didn't enjoy these books as much the 2nd time around as I did when I was 1st reading them in my early 20's... probably due to some quasi-counter culture attitude of the times.

> The Master Key System Charles F Hannel. I suppose this it considered a "self help/motivational" book; who knows, it might be the 1st "self help" book ever written. Anyone who likes the book "the Secret" should get rid of "the Secret" and just go with this book as it is ultimately the source of "the Secret". I might lean, a little, towards listening to it over reading it... maybe.

> The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. Comparative theology. This book is "dense" in terms of content. For some it is a hard read, so an audio book would be a good choice. I enjoyed it being read to me, but am glad I read it 1st.

> The Art of Mindful Living (Parts 1 & 2) by Thich Nhat Han. I guess this is considered either "spiritual", "religious" or maybe "self help"... depending on the book store. I like everything that i have read of Thich Nhat Han's. He is a great guide to leading a mindful anger free life. Again, I enjoyed them being read to me, but am glad I read them 1st.

I think I once started a novel, but it must not have impressed me very much as I don't remember any details.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#4New Post! Mar 31, 2019 @ 02:42:29
I prefer reading to being read to. Though sometimes a good narrator can make a book reading into a performance and that is interesting.

Unless it’s poetry. I can’t stand to read that s***. But spoken I can appreciate it.
Stalker

#5New Post! Mar 31, 2019 @ 03:01:30
@DiscordTiger Said

Unless it’s poetry. I can’t stand to read that s***. But spoken I can appreciate it.

Except for Haiku... right? When read you can take time to ponder its strange and bizarre point... especially if you are smoking ganja or drinking tequila.

Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Mar 31, 2019 @ 05:09:29
Thanks for the replies. I never have time to read books, but do spend a total of 7 or 8 hours driving each week, so I figured I could use some of it to learn a thing or two when not in the mood for music.
mrmhead On about 18 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Mar 31, 2019 @ 14:24:24
@chaski Said

Except for Haiku... right? When read you can take time to ponder its strange and bizarre point... especially if you are smoking ganja or drinking tequila.

I was on a board ages ago where they had "Haiku Wednesdays" (or was it Fridays?)
I think it was a thread that was dragged up one a week with everyone posting Haikus
Stalker

#8New Post! Mar 31, 2019 @ 22:48:03
@mrmhead Said

I was on a board ages ago where they had "Haiku Wednesdays" (or was it Fridays?)
I think it was a thread that was dragged up one a week with everyone posting Haikus

One of my offices used to have the Friday Haiku of Dispair challenge...
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#9New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 16:00:44
I listen to audiobooks on my commute to work or long car rides.
Right now I'm listening to John Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin. I usually listen to series or same character books, but with a classic shoved in there now and then.
Darkman666 On about 17 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Apr 02, 2019 @ 16:14:28
@floydgirrl Said

I listen to audiobooks on my commute to work or long car rides.
Right now I'm listening to John Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin. I usually listen to series or same character books, but with a classic shoved in there now and then.

one of tom Clancy's jack ryan better stories of the series. all jack ryan's books over 500 pages closer to 600. I read them all, not on audiobooks. I really holding the paperback in my hand than hardback.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs