The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Are forums still relevant in a Facebook world?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Mar 27, 2019 @ 10:42:01
Quote:
But roughly 20% of Americans still contribute to forums, according to a PostRelease/Synovate study, and nearly 30% read forums online, according to a recent Forrester report.

link

For me there is two things face book is good for, the first is family, Years ago when my brothers kid's flew the coop and started lives as adults , my brother who was a OTR heavy haul truck driver gifted his adult kids with lap tops with strings . Well one string, that they had to get a face book account , that way when he stopped for the night they could all visit and it didn't cost an arm and two legs . . Then he bugged my other brother and me, until, just to shut him up, we also got fb accounts, we each already had our own pc's . The brother who put us as a family on fb has since passed away and face book is the 'string' that keeps us all connected.
The other thing face book is good for is to f**k with Trumps base\fans , face book has a plethora of nuts who have their trump blinders straps so tightly buckled that their grey matter hasn't had any oxygen or blood circulation for more then two years . And that makes them entertainment/open season .
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Mar 27, 2019 @ 10:54:05
You can pump through your hat all you want to dad and grams on Facebook but you have more political influence when exposed to a large database of strangers......

On Facebook grams tells us as always 'Jeebus is the lawd'

In forums we have access to millions of other concepts other than just Jesus

Most people stick to FB though, they're scared to leave their front porch; just like in real life.

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Mar 27, 2019 @ 11:07:33
@Electric_Banana Said

You can pump through your hat all you want to dad and grams on Facebook but you have more political influence when exposed to a large database of strangers......

Most people stick to FB though, they're scared to leave their front porch; just like in real life.

Oh well see that's what makes picking on those fans so entertaining , I have pissed off two nephews and four cousins and most of the in laws connected to those family members, to the point that all of them no longer follow me , a couple of them say they unfriended and blocked me, ( but that's been proven false on a few occasions) And the bible humpers have been advised by unrelated fellow humpers to block me because I'm horribly disrespectful and totally un PC concerning their tender emotions and such .
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Mar 27, 2019 @ 11:47:05
I don't do Facebook. I have an account (or two) but I rarely use them.

I use this and sometimes one other forum for entertainment purposes. I also use this ID for other non-work, non-personal sites (i.e. no banks, credit card, utilities, etc)

And there are a few that I seem to hit on a regular basis related to work / tech support - aside from the manufacturers support/community forums.

I would not be happy if those were all on facebook.

I prefer to keep my entertainment, personal, and work identities separated.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! Mar 27, 2019 @ 16:59:28
I spend more time on here than Facebook. If I go on FB, I mess with a friend who has an obsession with Cara Delevigne and I say random happy birthdays.
TankGirl On December 10, 2019

Dublin, Ireland
#6New Post! Mar 27, 2019 @ 23:30:53
Well Reddit is still one of the biggest sites there is so I guess that's the main outlet for peoples forum fix. The upvote system that pushes the most approved comments to the top makes the discourse a little skewed and I find the layout grating, but if you want traffic and variety, it's all there is really.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Mar 28, 2019 @ 00:42:26
Gaming forums and product specific forums are still huge. But general forums like this have definitely gone by the wayside. 4chan and Something Awful May be the biggest ones that I can think of, but the former is primarily for shock-starved sheeple teenagers who have spent way too much time in front of their screens and the latter is a pay site, but that all may have changed in the several years since foruming saw its heyday 10 years ago. Facebook is definitely the reason for the decline.
TankGirl On December 10, 2019

Dublin, Ireland
#8New Post! Mar 28, 2019 @ 21:51:19
@Leon Said

Gaming forums and product specific forums are still huge. But general forums like this have definitely gone by the wayside. 4chan and Something Awful May be the biggest ones that I can think of, but the former is primarily for shock-starved sheeple teenagers who have spent way too much time in front of their screens and the latter is a pay site, but that all may have changed in the several years since foruming saw its heyday 10 years ago. Facebook is definitely the reason for the decline.

Oh there are many, many region specific general fora on Reddit. I'm from Ireland and there are several Ireland forums, and some more specialized subs as well. I'm not familiar with Something Awful, but I assume it's not as well populated as Reddit which generates an insane amount of content daily. Again, it's just the layout that grates.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#9New Post! Mar 28, 2019 @ 22:27:32
@Electric_Banana Said

Best you start respecting your grandmother this very moment. Judas Priest!
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#10New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 00:02:47
Apparently The Forum Site is important enough to get frequent spammers offering us various international passports and other nonsense.

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 00:11:02
@TankGirl Said

Oh there are many, many region specific general fora on Reddit. I'm from Ireland and there are several Ireland forums, and some more specialized subs as well. I'm not familiar with Something Awful, but I assume it's not as well populated as Reddit which generates an insane amount of content daily. Again, it's just the layout that grates.

Yeah I hear Reddit is popular. Like I say, it’s been 10 years since I was last interested in looking for forums to participate in. I’m too busy nowadays. I spend too much time on here as it is, which isn’t much at all.
Darkman666 On about 6 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Mar 29, 2019 @ 01:04:08
I heard about ' reddit ' years ago.

one day, this duck goes into a library and the duck goes about half away to the middle of the library stand in front of the library desk. a librarian was behind the desk, and a duck had a book inside his mouth. all sudden, the duck drop the book on the floor. and said "reddit " and he goes the library table and put another book in his mouth. then the duck leave the library.

so, this event with the duck keep happening once or twice a week to almost three weeks. the librarian will know where books going and forth every week. so, the duck comes back with a book in his head, and the duck drop the book on the floor. and then he said, " reddit ", and he grabs another book into his mouth. then the duck leaves, and then the librarian grabs her coat and follow the duck.

all sudden, the duck goes to a pond, and walks to a frog that sitting on a log and the duck drop the book in front of the frog. the frog look at the cover of the book, and said to the duck; " read it, read it, read it ! "
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Mar 30, 2019 @ 07:21:17
I've tried reddit but the boards are Nazi-managed, heavily

If they don't like your opinion they have a Texas-sized phone-book filled with terms and policies they can toss at any number of things you've done in any given post or thread and you're censored, blocked or banned instantaneously.

I've wasted a good fifteen minutes at at time creating a post sharing info on video games, sales, etc only for the 14-year-old mods to cipher it aside and trash it.
MarkAnthony On May 02, 2019

Dublin, Ireland
#14New Post! Apr 01, 2019 @ 13:36:29
I was a member here years ago and made some really good friends.

I recently left facebook, its nice to see photos of your family and see where people are in their lives but overall, its just really surface level.

There's very little space to actually build connections, you just like peoples pics and then post your own stuff, you comment on eachothers things maybe but in my experience Facebook doesn't build connections between people. It just helps you loosly maintain them.

Forums on the other hand I think give that opportunity by providing a space for real discussion and engagement.

n/a, New Mexico
#15New Post! Apr 01, 2019 @ 16:29:24
@mrmhead Said

I don't do Facebook. I have an account (or two) but I rarely use them.

I use this and sometimes one other forum for entertainment purposes. I also use this ID for other non-work, non-personal sites (i.e. no banks, credit card, utilities, etc)

And there are a few that I seem to hit on a regular basis related to work / tech support - aside from the manufacturers support/community forums.

I would not be happy if those were all on facebook.

I prefer to keep my entertainment, personal, and work identities separated.

I have only ever used the internet for personal ,
. Any thing concerning my finances is done in person. And since I'm so broke I don't even pay attention, that ain't no big deal.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs