Federal judge rules male-only draft is unconstitutional

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Feb 25, 2019 @ 17:14:47

Washington (CNN)US District Court Judge Gray Miller ruled late Friday that the Military Selective Service Act's male-only registration is unconstitutional.

The challenge was brought by a group known as National Coalition for Men and two men subject to the registration requirements...
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 25, 2019 @ 19:00:48
As much as I would usually oppose women being dragooned into military service, I have to concede that to have a male only draft does seem discriminatory.

Equality has to mean equality.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#3New Post! Feb 25, 2019 @ 19:46:31
I am not a fan of the draft the way we have used it in the past. However, I also agree that it should be everyone that registers, gender shouldn't matter. And I know it was a bunch of MRA's that brought this case about, but women should have been included a long time ago, the reason for leaving us out was sexist.

Im not opposed to mandatory service to the country of some sort, I'd like more options than just military in the middle of a conflict, but that is a different conversation and structure.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! Feb 25, 2019 @ 19:52:25
Registration for the draft is outdated, since we no longer have a draft, and haven’t been since the 70’s. However, if it were relevant, yes, both men and women should be required to register if there is a requirement.

I don’t support a draft anyhow. If we, as a nation, strictly adhered to the Liberatarian/Swiss view of non-intervention on all foreign affairs and relegated the military’s role strictly to defense of our soil, then it would have some merit, in my mind, but, even then, I don’t think we have a problem with volunteer numbers and the increasing technology we have to replace any lack of manpower anyhow.

Yes, I get the character building aspect, but there are many other ways that could be accomplished, and that should never be forced on any family just for that reason.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 01:03:16
I'm a believer in 100% conscription; either military or civil service.

Some state or local jobs should, maybe, be viewed as alternatives or exemptions; like fire department, ER, nursing, police...etc...maybe even teaching... and perhaps the most severe of medical conditions.

Anyway, for me it is kind of a no brainer... I don't care if you are male, female, Trans-something... essentially no excuses: serve your country.

I would allow the rich to buy their way out... say $5 million gets you an exemption...

However with the buy out you also give up the right to vote... AND the right to hold federal office... of any kind... you never get to be the President, Supreme Court justice, member of Congress, employed by a Federal Agencies... never get to be on the President's staff... nothing... etc... you basically pay $5 million to give up your citizenship... you can remain a "resident" of the USA, but not a citizen.

Of course "we" probably don't have the government revenue to fund the Chaski Plan.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#6New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 01:18:12
@chaski Said

Washington (CNN)US District Court Judge Gray Miller ruled late Friday that the Military Selective Service Act's male-only registration is unconstitutional.

The challenge was brought by a group known as National Coalition for Men and two men subject to the registration requirements...

The most dangerous group of all Is professional generational warriors. Once we lose the citizen warrior our country is doomed to failure. With each passing year with no draft we grow closer to this future.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#7New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 06:13:01
Personally, I would rid of the entire draft idea. I think it would do society good, for mandatory service. Once an individual turns 18, they serve 6 years mandatory service (3 years active, 3 years reserve).
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#8New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 06:43:08
@chaski Said

I'm a believer in 100% conscription; either military or civil service.

Some state or local jobs should, maybe, be viewed as alternatives or exemptions; like fire department, ER, nursing, police...etc...maybe even teaching... and perhaps the most severe of medical conditions.

Anyway, for me it is kind of a no brainer... I don't care if you are male, female, Trans-something... essentially no excuses: serve your country.

I would allow the rich to buy their way out... say $5 million gets you an exemption...

However with the buy out you also give up the right to vote... AND the right to hold federal office... of any kind... you never get to be the President, Supreme Court justice, member of Congress, employed by a Federal Agencies... never get to be on the President's staff... nothing... etc... you basically pay $5 million to give up your citizenship... you can remain a "resident" of the USA, but not a citizen.

Of course "we" probably don't have the government revenue to fund the Chaski Plan.

This is the stupidest idea I have ever heard of... and just to show you how dumb it is, I 100% agree with you.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#9New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 17:20:59
IF...

...a person were to join a branch of the military when they enter college and the first semester was basic training and they remained in ROTC as long as they are enrolled the military would pay all expenses room and board, books, supplies, tuition etc. and there would be a couple of weeks of active duty training every semester and then remain in reserve.

Then...people could get a free education and serve their country.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#10New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 17:23:45

And, of course, anyone with bone spurs would be exempt.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#11New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 17:28:53
@Erimitus Said

IF...

...a person were to join a branch of the military when they enter college and the first semester was basic training and they remained in ROTC as long as they are enrolled the military would pay all expenses room and board, books, supplies, tuition etc. and there would be a couple of weeks of active duty training every semester and then remain in reserve.

Then...people could get a free education and serve their country.

More realistic - Limit it to tuition only, and a minimum GPA has to be maintained.

... I missed that minimum GPA by less than .5 in my first semester
... thankfully
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 18:26:45
@Leon Said

Registration for the draft is outdated, since we no longer have a draft, and haven’t been since the 70’s. However, if it were relevant, yes, both men and women should be required to register if there is a requirement.

I don’t support a draft anyhow. If we, as a nation, strictly adhered to the Liberatarian/Swiss view of non-intervention on all foreign affairs and relegated the military’s role strictly to defense of our soil, then it would have some merit, in my mind, but, even then, I don’t think we have a problem with volunteer numbers and the increasing technology we have to replace any lack of manpower anyhow.

Yes, I get the character building aspect, but there are many other ways that could be accomplished, and that should never be forced on any family just for that reason.

Didn't you used to have the Monroe Doctrine...?

Shouldn't that be dusted off and reviewed...? Of course, commitment to alliances such as NATO would have to be considered, but basically, I thought non-intervention was what it was originally intended for.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#13New Post! Feb 26, 2019 @ 18:41:41
@Jennifer1984 Said

Didn't you used to have the Monroe Doctrine...?

Shouldn't that be dusted off and reviewed...? Of course, commitment to alliances such as NATO would have to be considered, but basically, I thought non-intervention was what it was originally intended for.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Monroe Doctrine defended the right to ask/force European countries from invading or meddling with land in the Western Hemisphere (not just the US), while honoring likewise abstinence from meddling in European affairs.

The former is still largely adhered to (which is why we had the Cuban Missle Crisis with the USSR), but the latter has largely been abandoned since WWI, when Europe welcomed our help.

None of it was law, as it was only a philosophical approach towards foreign relations by the US.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs