Forums:
Q & A

Arguing Your Point Back to You

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#1New Post! Dec 23, 2018 @ 14:37:19
So, this is an oddly specific question, but it seems to happen to me too often...

Basically, I make a statement about something. For example, "You're more likely to die in an airplane crash that a boat sinking."
Then another person says "No, it's the other way around. Planes are more dangerous."

They literally repeated my statement in the form of an argument. I'm not sure how to react to that... Is there a name for it?

I seem to encounter the most socially odd people, I swear
mrmhead On about 21 hours ago

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Dec 23, 2018 @ 15:19:55
They're more focused on their response than what you are saying.

I've run across people like that. You can tell by their replies that they either weren't listening, or are dead set on their "solution"
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! Dec 23, 2018 @ 15:43:05
@newcarscent7 Said

So, this is an oddly specific question, but it seems to happen to me too often...

Basically, I make a statement about something. For example, "You're more likely to die in an airplane crash that a boat sinking."
Then another person says "No, it's the other way around. Planes are more dangerous."

They literally repeated my statement in the form of an argument. I'm not sure how to react to that... Is there a name for it?

That is a question for Cpat. He is our resident psychologist.

anyway it seems to be a social game and it might be fun to investigate.

Eric Burne in 'Games people play' may have named the game NMW (no matter what). i.e. no mater what someone else says they are wrong. Clearly a conditioned response.

I can see no existential advantage other that placing one's self higher in a hirerache.

Psychological advantages might include but are not limited to a need to feel more intelligent than others. This can be ingrained by the practice of grading people in their education. i.e., it makes them feel good to feel more intelligent than others.

Colloquially ****s or ****s depending on gender

It is kind of like a little dog humping your leg. It can be annoying but it does not hurt.

The antithesis is to simply agree with them.
chaski On about 9 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Dec 23, 2018 @ 16:02:15
@newcarscent7 Said

I see a few responses to this sirt of thing.

1. Exactly

2. No! Planes are more dangerous!!

3. Are you stupid or do you have hearing problems?

4. Good point. You've changed my opinion to exactly what it was already.

Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! Dec 23, 2018 @ 19:57:50
@Erimitus Said

That is a question for Cpat. He is our resident psychologist.

anyway it seems to be a social game and it might be fun to investigate.

Eric Burne in 'Games people play' may have named the game NMW (no matter what). i.e. no mater what someone else says they are wrong. Clearly a conditioned response.

I can see no existential advantage other that placing one's self higher in a hirerache.

Psychological advantages might include but are not limited to a need to feel more intelligent than others. This can be ingrained by the practice of grading people in their education. i.e., it makes them feel good to feel more intelligent than others.

Colloquially ****s or ****s depending on gender

It is kind of like a little dog humping your leg. It can be annoying but it does not hurt.

The antithesis is to simply agree with them.

They aren’t fully listening. They misheard you and didn’t process the statement properly. I agree that you can agree with them, or you can simply tell them you said that. Worse case scenario, they can change the argument to say you said the following statement differently.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Dec 24, 2018 @ 15:22:53
“Yeah, that’s what I just said, stupid.”

Probably not the most tactful way
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#7New Post! Dec 24, 2018 @ 16:04:16
@Eaglebauer Said

But it's probably the most effective at getting the point across. Sometimes you have to be blunt with certain people
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#8New Post! Dec 25, 2018 @ 03:56:00
@Eaglebauer Said

I like that reply. Mind if I use it
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#9New Post! Dec 25, 2018 @ 12:33:19
you might turn it around and ask, "why do you think that"?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs