Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

Flying while intoxicated

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 00:21:47
Robins, cedar waxwings and other birds in Gilbert, Minnesota, are flying into windshields, bumping into trees and looking mighty disoriented.

Police there say there's no need to worry -- the birds are just a little drunk.

Birds

Oddly enough, I just found a young bird (looked full size, but it hadn't finished molting and had reddish tail feathers) dead on my patio yesterday. Not mauled by a critter or anything, I just figured it hit the window or something.

I've heard of this "drunk bird" thing before, because of fruit fermenting on the tree/bush/vine. The stories I've heard originated in California.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 01:13:47
Yes. Tis the season of fermenting fruit.

Be forewarned...

Yellow Jackets are mean drunks.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 01:35:52
I don't think that birds should be flying, while drunk. especially, they flying out of bars, not paid for the drinks.

just because birds have big noses, they should paid by the nose, they always paid their bills. have see how big their bill on their noses are?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 02:23:25
@chaski Said

Yes. Tis the season of fermenting fruit.

Be forewarned...

Yes they've been foraging my fallen apples.

I haven't found any nests/holes this year. (yet?)
Last year I posted about wasp nest in the neighbors tree. They dominated the apples last year.

A few weeks back, I learned that I am not acutely allergic to Yellow Jacket stings ... learned the hard way
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 03:30:16
@mrmhead Said

Yes they've been foraging my fallen apples.

I haven't found any nests/holes this year. (yet?)
Last year I posted about wasp nest in the neighbors tree. They dominated the apples last year.

A few weeks back, I learned that I am not acutely allergic to Yellow Jacket stings ... learned the hard way

So far in life the only insects that have a conflict with me are fleas.

Mosquito bites within 15 minutes you'd never know I was bitten. Bees, yellow jackets, wasps... don't ever bother me.

But fleas... little bastards think I'm a dog! A top of the line smörgåsbord!
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#6New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 15:56:47
@chaski Said

So far in life the only insects that have a conflict with me are fleas.

Mosquito bites within 15 minutes you'd never know I was bitten. Bees, yellow jackets, wasps... don't ever bother me.

But fleas... little bastards think I'm a dog! A top of the line smörgåsbord!

Mosquitoes are a*****es!

'Cause of my stinky feet, it's like they home in on me from all over. One of my dad's friends supposedly has a 'sweeter' blood type that they can't resist and they swarm her like crazy. Wouldn't be so bad if dad remembered to close the screen door behind him instead of leaving the back door wide open for every single bug in the back.

My cats only had fleas a few time. I don't know why, but I could see 'em really easily. I could spot one on the carpet without having to squint too hard.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#7New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 16:25:37
@chaski Said

Not just drunks, in general.

There's a row of 4 maple trees near the Pre-Teen after school care centre at Britannia and every year around fall, you see tons of yellow-jackets feeding off the sap on not just the trees, but the leaves. And there are times where the sap will actually stick their wings together and they'll fall off the trees.

Which is what happened to me one day when I was on my way back home from high school. A wasp fell down from the tree and somehow managed to land perfectly on the skin between my thumb and index finger, where it immediately started stinging and biting me. I already had a pretty s***ty day, so I freaked out, flung it to the ground and proceeded to stomp on it for a good 5 minutes. My hand swelled up for about a week and because it was my dominant hand, it made literally everything more difficult.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#8New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 16:28:05
@mrmhead Said

Robins, cedar waxwings and other birds in Gilbert, Minnesota, are flying into windshields, bumping into trees and looking mighty disoriented.

Police there say there's no need to worry -- the birds are just a little drunk.

Birds

Oddly enough, I just found a young bird (looked full size, but it hadn't finished molting and had reddish tail feathers) dead on my patio yesterday. Not mauled by a critter or anything, I just figured it hit the window or something.

I've heard of this "drunk bird" thing before, because of fruit fermenting on the tree/bush/vine. The stories I've heard originated in California.

The birds in Kamloops eat the fermented berries mainly to keep themselves warm, although they can get really rowdy sometimes. There have actually been 'fights' over the berries too, which is pretty crazy. It things get too rough, we just pound on the window and they take off for a bit.
JorieJukebox On January 29, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#9New Post! Oct 05, 2018 @ 23:37:45
When I was a kid, we watched this documentary called "Animals are Beautiful People." There was a segment where all these animals were eating the fruit that had fermented. Elephants were stumbling around, giraffes were having trouble keeping their heads up, monkeys... well monkeys act like drunken toddlers anyway, hahaha... But you get the picure...
Then it shows them all the next morning all hungover. Sitting on haunches, heads drooping in regret... monkeys sat with their heads in their hands.
It was quite amusing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs