Forums:
Business & Money

Hoover Dam Battery

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#1New Post! Jul 30, 2018 @ 17:24:29
Of course, Hoover Dam acts as a battery. Nothing new about that, but the city of Los Angeles (and maybe also Southern California Edison) want to add a new twist.

The city has added photovoltaic and wind generated energy to the point that it has excess energy that it gives away. The Department of Water and Power wants to use the excess energy to pump water back into Lake Mead, the reservoir behind Hoover Dam. They say it will cost $3 billion, but of course that means $6 billion.

New York Times
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 00:38:48
This looks like an escalation of the war on coal... I prefer coal... Why can't we all just agree that coal based energy is the best... CLEANEST ENERGY EVER... or at least since Abraham Lincoln.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 03:49:08
here is a true story:

years ago, a black marlin ran his nose into a side of a brick wall in the lake. he was a pretty close the land, never happened before the cloosest black marlin that he was in 70's. he was the baddest leory blackfish, you've see before. he was the greatest hip black cat fish against any honky white fishes any day, you ever saw in this lake.

a couple of hours, the black marlin was knock out by the impact of the wall, struck. he was really become one angry jive black turkey fish. his nose was really stuck into this wall and he was trying get his nose out of the wall and finally said:

I was here years ago, this wasn't here before. honkies, especially blowhard trumpbozo fish really want keep those jive turkey fishes down south from come in. be a dam, once I get my nose free. I writing to honky congressfish, that jive turkey, Charlie the tuna. get Charlie remove this damn wall, just like honky fish put a wall nobody need in a damn lake. be really damn, you honkies, I going kick your white honky fin asses all over this lake! you jive turkeys!
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 13:02:45
@chaski Said

This looks like an escalation of the war on coal... I prefer coal... Why can't we all just agree that coal based energy is the best... CLEANEST ENERGY EVER... or at least since Abraham Lincoln.

Oh you and your dam conspiracies.

One dam battery ain't gonna wipe out the coal industry.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 13:35:57
two fishes are swimming in hoover dam, and they saw the hoover dam battery. one fish said to other, " be damn, that what they talking about in news, we been seen on tv. big deal! "

Anaheim, California
#6New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 14:23:55
@chaski Said

The City of Los Angeles has fought on both sides. It used to get electricity from a coal fired plant in Arizona. Maybe still does?

And it acts in the skirmish on sulfur because sulfur comes mostly from burning coal. I think the sulfur mostly becomes sulfuric acid. For what use, I don't know?

Something called fly ash, another byproduct of burning coal, gets used in cement, so the city wages war on concrete.

The City of Los Angeles has waged war on Arizona because of that state's immigration policies. So much so that for a while it looked like they would move Hoover Dam to Palm Springs. Or maybe build a giant capacitor in Yuma where they would store the excess electricity.

mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 15:17:10
The other issue with this dam battery, and it's mentioned in the article - Water Wars.

I remember hearing about it years ago that downstream communities are drying up because of the consumption by growing communities and farming and climate change (drought)
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#8New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 16:00:41
@mrmhead Said

Oh you and your dam conspiracies.

One dam battery ain't gonna wipe out the coal industry.

Damn batteries!

Anaheim, California
#9New Post! Jul 31, 2018 @ 19:38:12
@mrmhead Said

The other issue with this dam battery, and it's mentioned in the article - Water Wars.

I remember hearing about it years ago that downstream communities are drying up because of the consumption by growing communities and farming and climate change (drought)

One of the members of my Red Kimono Posse says that he attended a Republican dinner in which Barry Goldwater, the Senator from Arizona and former candidate for president, made a speech.

Before speaking, the senator made a big show of pouring a glass of water, holding up for all to see, drinking it, and then holding up the empty glass. As he looked around the room he said, "That's tasty Arizona water."

Of course, he wanted to remind California that when Arizona had built the infrastructure, (I think that it was called the Central Arizona project) Arizona would want its share of Colorado River water.

I believe that Arizona has finished the Central Arizona project, but I think that here in California we fight more among ourselves than we fight with Arizona. People complain that concern for estuaries or the commercial needs of almond farmers get too much attention. That sort of thing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs