Forums:
News & Current Events

Union Square

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#1New Post! Jul 21, 2018 @ 00:53:35
Many people in my Red Kimono Posse have lived in New York City. They remember the Pretzel Lady of Union Square, who sold pretzels most of the year, but she sold chestnuts at Christmas, and they remember Union Square fondly as a place where retailers come and go.

So, with that in mind, no one should find the fact that The Coffee Shop, a tremendously popular Union Square bar and café plans to close after 28 years of high-volume business,

Management explained their decision to close on high rents, well it is New York City, and a more than doubling of labor cost dew to increased minimum wage and the Affordable Care Act’s mandate that they provide health insurance for their employees.

The Federalist
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jul 21, 2018 @ 01:51:30
@Ghyda Said

Many people in my Red Kimono Posse have lived in New York City. They remember the Pretzel Lady of Union Square, who sold pretzels most of the year, but she sold chestnuts at Christmas, and they remember Union Square fondly as a place where retailers come and go.

So, with that in mind, no one should find the fact that The Coffee Shop, a tremendously popular Union Square bar and café plans to close after 28 years of high-volume business,

Management explained their decision to close on high rents, well it is New York City, and a more than doubling of labor cost dew to increased minimum wage and the Affordable Care Act’s mandate that they provide health insurance for their employees.

The Federalist

If I understand right, the mandate kicks in at 50 full-time employees. The coffee shop has more than 50?

ACA is a quick-easy scapegoat. Healthcare and insurance costs would skyrocket regardless.

Anaheim, California
#3New Post! Jul 21, 2018 @ 03:40:32
@mrmhead Said

If I understand right, the mandate kicks in at 50 full-time employees. The coffee shop has more than 50?

ACA is a quick-easy scapegoat. Healthcare and insurance costs would skyrocket regardless.

According to the article in The Federalist, The Coffee Shop has 150 employees.

After reading the article, I get the impression that The Coffee Shop had already absorbed the cost of Obama Care and rent. The almost 100% increase in the cost of labor must have broken the camel, so to speak.

And I just realized; I used the wrong dew. I should have said due.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jul 21, 2018 @ 13:46:08
@Ghyda Said

According to the article in The Federalist, The Coffee Shop has 150 employees.

After reading the article, I get the impression that The Coffee Shop had already absorbed the cost of Obama Care and rent. The almost 100% increase in the cost of labor must have broken the camel, so to speak.

And I just realized; I used the wrong dew. I should have said due.

- I missed that part about 150 employees fist time through

And yes, I caught the "dew" - for someone with such interest in language and grammar, I figured it was just an auto-correct thing
a777pilot On July 14, 2022

, Texas
#5New Post! Jul 21, 2018 @ 15:42:14
do, dew, and due

Anaheim, California
#6New Post! Jul 21, 2018 @ 20:20:20
@a777pilot Said

do, dew, and due

My worst spelling screw up, and perhaps, favorite of all time, I spelled the plural of test with an extra letter-e: testes.

Anaheim, California
#7New Post! Jul 21, 2018 @ 20:42:20
@mrmhead Said

- I missed that part about 150 employees fist time through

And yes, I caught the "dew" - for someone with such interest in language and grammar, I figured it was just an auto-correct thing

Another article on The Federalist webpage argues that large companies favor higher minimum wage because it increases overhead for smaller competitors, which may be exempt from mandates like Obama Care. So I wonder how much that sort of thing affected The Coffee Shop.

Also, I do think that in New York City people can use minimum wage as a scapegoat. Especially in the city, businesses come and go. According to the Red Kimono posse, Gimbals occupied the building across the street from Macy's. It became Alexanders, and then another one, whose name I can never remember. That company had a store at Union Square, which has disappeared.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs