Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#31New Post! Jul 18, 2018 @ 15:39:34
@chaski Said

The reference to “forbidding the revival of nationalist militarism in Europe” was a specific reference to...

1. The nationalist scociists of Germany, aka Nazis
2. The Facists of Italy, and
3. The Franco regime in Spain...

And

4. Communism in the USSR, which was more totalitarian nationalism than true communism.

Those damn scociists
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#32New Post! Jul 18, 2018 @ 15:52:31
@mrmhead Said

Yes, there are a few regimes I can think of in Latin/South America that need changing, and at least two in the Pacific Rim. (depending on specific geographical definitions)

... is that what you mean?

Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#33New Post! Jul 19, 2018 @ 22:01:12
@chaski Said

The reference to “forbidding the revival of nationalist militarism in Europe” was a specific reference to...

1. The nationalist scociists of Germany, aka Nazis
2. The Facists of Italy, and
3. The Franco regime in Spain...

And

4. Communism in the USSR, which was more totalitarian nationalism than true communism.

I must wonder why my septuagenarian friends and relations hold so fast to the idea that the Allies founded NATO to prevent war with Germany, at least initially.

I found something called The Treaty Dunkirck, which France and the UK signed on 4 March 1947 as a Treaty of Alliance and Mutual Assistance against a possible German attack in the aftermath of World War II. The treaty entered into force on 8 September 1947 and preceded the Treaty of Brussels of 1948, which established the Western Union.

The last sentence of the first Wikipedia paragraph says, "According to Marc Trachtenberg, the German threat was a pretext for defense against the USSR."

I don't know anything about Marc Trachtenberg, but he seems to believe that the Allies spoke about war with Germany as a pretext to preparation for war against the USSR, not the other way around as my Red Kimono posse believes.

In my family, when old folks wear the Red Kimono, they may say what ever they want. Somehow we borrowed it from a Japanese tradition. Rather bizarre considering that we likely have no Japanese genes.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#34New Post! Jul 19, 2018 @ 22:57:40
@Ghyda Said

I must wonder why my septuagenarian friends and relations hold so fast to the idea that the Allies founded NATO to prevent war with Germany, at least initially.

I found something called The Treaty Dunkirck, which France and the UK signed on 4 March 1947 as a Treaty of Alliance and Mutual Assistance against a possible German attack in the aftermath of World War II. The treaty entered into force on 8 September 1947 and preceded the Treaty of Brussels of 1948, which established the Western Union.

The last sentence of the first Wikipedia paragraph says, "According to Marc Trachtenberg, the German threat was a pretext for defense against the USSR."

I don't know anything about Marc Trachtenberg, but he seems to believe that the Allies spoke about war with Germany as a pretext to preparation for war against the USSR, not the other way around as my Red Kimono posse believes.

In my family, when old folks wear the Red Kimono, they may say what ever they want. Somehow we borrowed it from a Japanese tradition. Rather bizarre considering that we likely have no Japanese genes.

It certainly seems odd that they were so concerned about a clearly defeated (and divided by the USA & USSR) Germany....

I see a 3 part answer....

1. France wanted a union against any theoretical claims of legitimacy by the Vichy French government.... aka Nazi Germany simpathizers.

2. England wanted a commitment from France to oppose any USSR effort to unite Germany as a USSR puppet state.

3. “Behiind the scenes” the UK and USA had already started working on what would later become NATO...and wanted to lock in France’s commitment, prior to the big plan.

In any case Germany was clearly borth militarily and economically vanquished AND politically divided by USA-USSR agreement... there literally was no German ability to attack either France or the UK post WW2.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs