Forums:
Music

Studio Recordings Vs Live Music Recordings

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#1New Post! Jul 14, 2018 @ 15:18:06
If it were a choice between live music and an album, I would have an easier time attending the event.

The problem comes when people want to market music recorded at a concert in front of an audience.

I don't spend much time--actually avoid--listening to live albums.

I almost have to accidentally listen to a bit of an album not knowing it was recorded live before I'll give it a listen.

This is true mostly for pop. Jazz and classical more often are recorded in front of an audience and those tend to be a better value.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Jul 15, 2018 @ 12:54:57
Depends...

Generally speaking, I agree with you. Particularly when it comes to rock and its sub genres. I have found over the years of listening to both studio and live versions of songs, that notes and drumbeats sometimes miss the mark and/or vocals sound more strained in the latter, and that, therefore, the live song doesn’t have the hook or capture that the original did.

However, that being said....

WATCHING a live performance is a whole different ballgame, as body language really adds a tremendous value in capturing the spirit of a song in rock, and that of course can only be seen. Bruce Springsteen might be a prime example of this, for me. I wasn’t much of a Springsteen fan until I happened to come across a live performance of him on cable.

Also, as you mentioned, other genres cater more to the live performance. This is true of jazz, where improvisation and extended solos occur that never really get recorded in the studio. Perhaps because the genre itself came from an era when all “studio” music were recorded live rather than mixed. This is also true of EDM (house, trance, etc), because DJs control this arena, and what they can do in 2-3 hour live mix sets simply cannot be broken down into studio recordings and have the same effect.

, Florida
#3New Post! Jul 15, 2018 @ 13:37:02
@Leon Said

Depends...

Generally speaking, I agree with you. Particularly when it comes to rock and its sub genres. I have found over the years of listening to both studio and live versions of songs, that notes and drumbeats sometimes miss the mark and/or vocals sound more strained in the latter, and that, therefore, the live song doesn’t have the hook or capture that the original did.

However, that being said....

WATCHING a live performance is a whole different ballgame, as body language really adds a tremendous value in capturing the spirit of a song in rock, and that of course can only be seen. Bruce Springsteen might be a prime example of this, for me. I wasn’t much of a Springsteen fan until I happened to come across a live performance of him on cable.

Also, as you mentioned, other genres cater more to the live performance. This is true of jazz, where improvisation and extended solos occur that never really get recorded in the studio. Perhaps because the genre itself came from an era when all “studio” music were recorded live rather than mixed. This is also true of EDM (house, trance, etc), because DJs control this arena, and what they can do in 2-3 hour live mix sets simply cannot be broken down into studio recordings and have the same effect.

Good observations Leon. My thoughts exactly about jazz music especially. The Islanders that resettled in New Jersey created a sound that probably doesn’t really translate well to album listening. Or at least something gets lost in translation. I have to put myself in a certain frame of mine to sit in a room by myself to hear what was originally intended to be heard in a different venue. It’s almost like I’m eaves dropping.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jul 15, 2018 @ 14:07:35
I like live, concert recordings when the songs are purposely arranged differently, rather than just a regurgitation of the studio cut.
What comes to mind here is the Pink Floyd live albums Pulse and The Delicate Sound of Thunder.

And the improv sections (jazz, prog, etc) can capture a unique interactions among the artists that you won't get in the studio.

And yes, there is nothing like seeing music live

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Jul 15, 2018 @ 14:15:12
Do either of you play anything?

, Florida
#6New Post! Jul 15, 2018 @ 14:31:44
@mrmhead Said

I came from a musical family. My parents both received degrees in music.

Mother tried to teach me piano. I played trumpet for a few years. I have really good pitch but my rhythm is a little dicey and I don't have quick access to the emotional framework a performer draws upon when performing.

For work reasons, I'm more or less a gypsy the last ten years of my life-- with fewer social ties and fewer opportunities to plug-in to a music/culture scene.

I'm an avid music listener; spending lots (LOTS) of time cataloging and labeling my mp3 files.

I recommend Google Play Music because it allows for more interesting instant mixes of the music I already enjoy.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Jul 15, 2018 @ 15:03:30
@mrmhead Said

Piano

I’ve also dabbled in EDM. It’s all just programming these days.
chaski On about 3 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#8New Post! Jul 17, 2018 @ 00:33:05
Alan Parsons Project should be listen to via studio album.

The Greatful Dead should be listen to live (granted that can’t happen now).

Ted Nugent should be listen to, if at all, via “live” recording.

Jimmy Buffet should be listen to in any media format available.

Etc

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Jul 17, 2018 @ 01:05:47
Steely Dan, for the longest time did not tour. I heard they toured once or twice early on, then stopped, until this latest round of "return of the aging boomer-bands"
I wanted to get a "Steely Dan In Concert" T-shirt made, for the irony .. too late now.

Some bands perform for the interaction with the live crowd, and "Being There" is as much of the experience as the music (The Dead, Phish, etc) Those are the ones that lose an element with a concert CD. I'm not one of those people - I go for the music (King Crimson) or the show (Roger Waters) and people bouncing off of me or shouting the wrong lyrics horribly just drains the experience for me.

And then there's this:

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! Jul 17, 2018 @ 01:29:31
@gakINGKONG Said

I came from a musical family. My parents both received degrees in music.

Mother tried to teach me piano. I played trumpet for a few years. I have really good pitch but my rhythm is a little dicey and I don't have quick access to the emotional framework a performer draws upon when performing.

For work reasons, I'm more or less a gypsy the last ten years of my life-- with fewer social ties and fewer opportunities to plug-in to a music/culture scene.

I'm an avid music listener; spending lots (LOTS) of time cataloging and labeling my mp3 files.

I recommend Google Play Music because it allows for more interesting instant mixes of the music I already enjoy.

@Leon Said

Piano

I’ve also dabbled in EDM. It’s all just programming these days.

Thanks-

I've played trumpet since early 70's, and picked up keyboard late 80s. I hooked up with a friend late 90s we've been on and off (me, more casually and
more off) with bands since. We did an open mic night last year, the others have done a few gigs, but just the past few months I've been able to get back more often.
And a few years ago I came across Bandhub. Check it out! (I think I've mentioned it a few times on here)
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Jul 17, 2018 @ 01:43:21
years ago, I watched a billy joel liver concert on hbo. I didn't like it all. something about it didn't sound right. it didn't look right.

on tv, mtv channel, when first started back in 80's or 90's, they started showing dvd videos of singing artists taping songs in a studios. it feel right, sound, and you want the video went it comes out.

even tape tv show's spots that singer comes on a talk shows look right and sound right.

I think film tape singing concert or an singing artist like Barbara steisands watching taping in a studio or a tv stage on tv to me is so stratified to watch on tv than being in a crowd at a live concert.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs