The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
College Life

I'm changing my Degree

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Tigerstar7 On February 03, 2024

#1New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 06:05:28
I wanted to be a high school history teacher for years. I've been going to college to get a teaching degree (BSED History). But then I took some practicums (essentially observing classrooms) and realized it wasn't for me. Why? Because somehow in the three years since I left high school, so much had changed.

My city's schools have implemented technological learning too large extents. For both practicums I had in two different school districts in my state, one rural and one city, the class was all "ok get out your laptops with the pre-loaded lesson and read it or watch the video while I awkwardly sit here if you have questions." Maybe there would occasionally be a small discussion afterwards, but usually they'd have a review with an online quiz app of some kind.

I was originally going to be a public school history teacher. But everything changed recently.

As a part of the teaching degree program, I was to do an observation of a classroom. It's not the same as student teaching, as you're just watching. But upon doing two seperate ones, I noticed something.

The whole thing just felt so...dry. It was boring. I'm the type who loves lecturing, having in depth Socratic discussions, and making things fun. But these classrooms weren't doing that. Both school systems had implemented this type of teaching for their entire staff, meaning I didn't just have two boring teachers. Technology, while it is the future and is important, is apparently now so important that all teachers have to use it in their classroom daily according to the school boards.

Even some of my favorite teachers from my own high school were having to do the same thing, with little room for compromise.

Since I just couldn't enjoy this type of teaching, didn't want to be lacking of passion with my teaching, nor want to teach elementary kids, I decided to change my degree.

Now I'm aiming for a BA in history and going for a college teaching route. (Getting masters degree, etc.) Colleges still allow for that old style of lecturing AND a healthy use of technology. So it seems more for me.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 15:18:00
In moving from high school teaching to college level, do you still need to get a Concealed Carry permit?

And a new report out, studying why IQs have steadily dropped since the 70's, suggests increased "screen time" and reduced interaction as possible causes, along with diet (fewer natural/whole, more processed foods)

I do see how on-line / home schooling can be a benefit to those kids that really do have difficulties in traditional classroom settings, but it is disappointing that "traditional classrooms" are turning into essentially on-line learning.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#3New Post! Jun 14, 2018 @ 17:47:51
That’s lazy professional leadership from the school administration or school boards that’s the problem.

Probably have people in the top making decisions that know jack s*** about teaching and actual education principles. It’s a problem all over the country.

Technology in the classroom can be awesome, if it’s used right.

Though, not to discourage anyone from working in education because we really need good people that are smart and care about the students and their experiences at all levels....
Leadership really makes it a sucky job.
Even college/university level has it suckage. If it’s a research institution, faculty jobs are going to care more about your publishing history than classroom experience. Jobs that are in the classroom a lot, tend to have s***ty pay and benefits barely above slave labor. Like sometimes they are even exempted from meeting minimum wage.
So if you’re really interested in college level, start submitting your papers for class assignments student publications. If your department has some, or if your Library has research/essay contests. Look for every opportunity you can. Talk to your professors, they might have suggestions. Your school’s writing labs might also. Even if your writing is already good it might be worth a visit to the tutors, they may have tips.

If you can have a few things published before graduation it will make the job hunt so much easier. It’s not about the content of what was published, just that something was. So even if the paper was not in education reasearch, if it’s good try it.

Good luck.

#4New Post! Jun 15, 2018 @ 03:30:45
@DiscordTiger Said
So if you’re really interested in college level, start submitting your papers for class assignments student publications. If your department has some, or if your Library has research/essay contests. Look for every opportunity you can. Talk to your professors, they might have suggestions. Your school’s writing labs might also. Even if your writing is already good it might be worth a visit to the tutors, they may have tips.

If you can have a few things published before graduation it will make the job hunt so much easier. It’s not about the content of what was published, just that something was. So even if the paper was not in education reasearch, if it’s good try it.

Good luck.

Yeah writing something does sound like a good idea.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! Jul 10, 2018 @ 16:48:05
@Tigerstar7 Said

I wanted to be a high school history teacher for years. I've been going to college to get a teaching degree (BSED History). But then I took some practicums (essentially observing classrooms) and realized it wasn't for me. Why? Because somehow in the three years since I left high school, so much had changed.

My city's schools have implemented technological learning too large extents. For both practicums I had in two different school districts in my state, one rural and one city, the class was all "ok get out your laptops with the pre-loaded lesson and read it or watch the video while I awkwardly sit here if you have questions." Maybe there would occasionally be a small discussion afterwards, but usually they'd have a review with an online quiz app of some kind.

I was originally going to be a public school history teacher. But everything changed recently.

As a part of the teaching degree program, I was to do an observation of a classroom. It's not the same as student teaching, as you're just watching. But upon doing two seperate ones, I noticed something.

The whole thing just felt so...dry. It was boring. I'm the type who loves lecturing, having in depth Socratic discussions, and making things fun. But these classrooms weren't doing that. Both school systems had implemented this type of teaching for their entire staff, meaning I didn't just have two boring teachers. Technology, while it is the future and is important, is apparently now so important that all teachers have to use it in their classroom daily according to the school boards.

Even some of my favorite teachers from my own high school were having to do the same thing, with little room for compromise.

Since I just couldn't enjoy this type of teaching, didn't want to be lacking of passion with my teaching, nor want to teach elementary kids, I decided to change my degree.

Now I'm aiming for a BA in history and going for a college teaching route. (Getting masters degree, etc.) Colleges still allow for that old style of lecturing AND a healthy use of technology. So it seems more for me.

Good luck to you. I didn’t switch the same way you did due to the route I took, but I went from pursuing Business Administration to Psychology.

#6New Post! Jan 29, 2020 @ 23:06:51
Strangely enough since this thread occurred, my YouTube and my main job have become my careers of sorts. I still plan to finish my history degree and get a masters but that'll probably be my stopping point.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs