Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
chaski On about 15 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#61New Post! May 30, 2018 @ 14:29:08
@Erimitus Said

if asked what they were fighting for the typical Southern soldier would answer their rights.

Sort of true: They we’re fighting for their right to own slaves.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#62New Post! May 30, 2018 @ 15:58:11
@Eaglebauer Said

Slaves were called "workers" in one history book that I know of. The publishers of that book were rightly called out for it and have since publicly apologized.

I'm not saying it's non-existent and I'm not condoning it, and I'm well aware of the way history books are written to favorably color the nation in which they are published, but it's also a little inaccurate to infer that widespread use of terms like "employee" and "worker" are the norm because...well...they simply aren't. I don't think any reasonable person in this country denies that slavery was a very real, huge, black mark on our history, and the vast majority of history books refer to slaves as slaves.

I'd also argue that it's not a phenomenon particular to the U.S. either. I'd wager a lot of nations color the history they teach their children, right or wrong.

I remember doing a report on China in the fourth grade and looking it up in the World Book encyclopedia we had at home (this was many years before the internet was a thing). The entire section on China was done in a different font and had extremely favorable things to say about the glorious and vibrant culture of the benevolent regime. No small surprise the encyclopedia was printed in China in 1976.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. I'm not saying it's right. I do think people think it's a much bigger thing than it really is in general and lose sight of the fact that since history started being recorded, it was recorded with the bias of the documentarian.

it's true, countries like to present a positive image to the world. my country did terrible things. two that especially make me shudder is our destruction of the Tasmanian aborigines and the monstrous punishments we meted out to them during the process ... and the disgusting way we treated the Kenyans in the 1950's ...not long after we fought a war to defeat another monster. we don't hear them mentioned much though. when I've told my countrymen about it they look absolutely shocked.

london, United Kingdom
#63New Post! May 30, 2018 @ 16:01:38
@Erimitus Said

I learned (or was taught) differently. I believe that if asked what they were fighting for the typical Southern soldier would answer their rights.

interesting isn't it that 150 years later the supposed cause of the conflict is still rather fuzzy in the minds of people.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#64New Post! May 30, 2018 @ 16:44:25
@chaski Said

Sort of true: They we’re fighting for their right to own slaves.

The war must go on till the last man of this generation falls in his tracks …unless you acknowledge our right to self-government. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for independence, and that, or extermination, we will have. >Jefferson Davis<

Only a small percentage of the population were slave owners. In some of the northern most states of the Confederacy only 3% of the population owned slaves.

Further south the percentage increases but the majority of slaves were owned by a small number of people.

As I understand it the majority of southerners were against Secession or did not care one way or the other. The average southern grunt believed he was fighting for is rights.
Stalker

#65New Post! May 30, 2018 @ 20:14:05
@Erimitus Said

The war must go on till the last man of this generation falls in his tracks …unless you acknowledge our right to self-government. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for independence, and that, or extermination, we will have. >Jefferson Davis<

Only a small percentage of the population were slave owners. In some of the northern most states of the Confederacy only 3% of the population owned slaves.

Further south the percentage increases but the majority of slaves were owned by a small number of people.

As I understand it the majority of southerners were against Secession or did not care one way or the other. The average southern grunt believed he was fighting for is rights.

I find it humorous that the right complains the the left is trying to "re-write" history... when it actually seems to me that it is the right that has been trying to "re-write" history on the topic of the Civil War. Looking at the history and information contemporaneously with the events prior to, during and just after the Civil War, it is clear that the slavery issue was the primary issue... not the exclusive issue, but the primary one.

Similarly, many (if not most) of these statues and monuments of the Confederate Generals, as I have stated numerous times, were put up as direct counter statements to the Civil Rights Movement.... thus bringing them down would not be "re-writing" (or in any way hiding) history (i.e. the Civil War) but rather correcting some racist BS the was perpetrated in the 1950' & 1960's.

But, don't get me wrong, I am not actually advocating pulling down these stupid monuments.

My personal opinion is that either:

A) if a city/county/state wants to remove them or not remove them... that is up to that city/county/state.

and/or

B) leave the stupid things where they are (I think Leon mentioned this...to a point) with some plaque noting that they were put up as racist statements in the 1950's & 1960's...etc... and are being left in place so people everywhere know that racism is promoted by the ignorant.
Stalker

#66New Post! May 30, 2018 @ 20:19:50
@Erimitus Said

The average southern grunt believed he was fighting for is rights.

The average grunt was most likely poorly informed at best.

Example statistic: In 1870 only 20 percent of all adults in the USA were literate. Granted the white population probably probably had a higher percentage of literacy than blacks. None the less information flow was limited and by no means as immediate as it is today. The south was much more rural... i.e. didn't have the information available in the cities by way of daily news papers that were sort of timely....sort of. The average grunt in the south was dependent on the wealthy land owners for his information.

So, again, yes it was about fighting for "their rights".... their rights to own slaves.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#67New Post! May 30, 2018 @ 21:28:16
The Civil War WAS about states rights. Specifically, their right to keep slavery legal. If slavery wasn’t an issue, then the issue of states rights would have been a nothingburger as well.

Same as always with any issue really. When something matters that is on the table, then a higher authority gets called into play in an attempt to justify keeping it.

And to clear up my stance on the statues, they should be on private land.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#68New Post! May 31, 2018 @ 01:13:46
Locally they finally decided to relocate some racist artwork that is currently prominently displayed in a building. People have been asking for something to be done for about 50 years so it’s not a new request. (Probably, longer but the groups being targeted were still being physically harmed for speaking out, before the activism of the seventies.) Also, sadly most people know it (and refer to it) as the “racist murals” rather than by their name or the artist.
Murals probably isn’t even the right word as they are art on canvas mounted on the wall, they just take up the whole wall and don’t have a frame. They will be moved to a museum in the area, certainly not destroyed.

They just don’t need to be where they are. Which makes it seem like the where they are condones racism, when in reality they argue they trying to send the opposite message.

It’s been an interesting conversation.

london, United Kingdom
#69New Post! May 31, 2018 @ 14:11:35
@DiscordTiger Said

Locally they finally decided to relocate some racist artwork that is currently prominently displayed in a building. People have been asking for something to be done for about 50 years so it’s not a new request. (Probably, longer but the groups being targeted were still being physically harmed for speaking out, before the activism of the seventies.) Also, sadly most people know it (and refer to it) as the “racist murals” rather than by their name or the artist.
Murals probably isn’t even the right word as they are art on canvas mounted on the wall, they just take up the whole wall and don’t have a frame. They will be moved to a museum in the area, certainly not destroyed.

They just don’t need to be where they are. Which makes it seem like the where they are condones racism, when in reality they argue they trying to send the opposite message.

It’s been an interesting conversation.

i'm slowly beginning to get a grip on the art/statue situation in the usa.are you able to mention the subject matter of the racist murals. If you'd rather not dirty your keypad with it then I get it.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#70New Post! May 31, 2018 @ 18:06:24
@offbeat Said

i'm slowly beginning to get a grip on the art/statue situation in the usa.are you able to mention the subject matter of the racist murals. If you'd rather not dirty your keypad with it then I get it.

The subject matter? Like what they are?

The supposed three peoples of the area. Only there are more than three - so it leaves out many, and it paints the Anglo white man as being smarter and better than the Hispanic and Native Americans. Like they didn’t even bother to paint faces on anyone other than the white men. They are just brown blobs bowing or looking up to them.

Is not graphically offensive, just the continued valuation of white supremacy over all others. And that was the point when the artist made it, it’s not even some bizarre interpretation. Like Hispanic people and Native Americans were live in mud homes with barely sustainable crops before that Anglos came.

I’ll totaly acknowledge the Spanish came through and the conquistadors did s***ty horrible things to the Native Americans. There were several “wars”, lots of murders, and land stealing. The Spanish empire really wasn’t much better than the English one when it came to settling the “new world”. It’s just that by the time the Anglos did venture out “west” it wasn’t the way things were depicted. Hispanic cities were thriving a hundred years before the pilgrims came over, Native American ones 600 years before that.

london, United Kingdom
#71New Post! Jun 01, 2018 @ 00:45:41
@DiscordTiger Said

The subject matter? Like what they are?

The supposed three peoples of the area. Only there are more than three - so it leaves out many, and it paints the Anglo white man as being smarter and better than the Hispanic and Native Americans. Like they didn’t even bother to paint faces on anyone other than the white men. They are just brown blobs bowing or looking up to them.

Is not graphically offensive, just the continued valuation of white supremacy over all others. And that was the point when the artist made it, it’s not even some bizarre interpretation. Like Hispanic people and Native Americans were live in mud homes with barely sustainable crops before that Anglos came.

I’ll totaly acknowledge the Spanish came through and the conquistadors did s***ty horrible things to the Native Americans. There were several “wars”, lots of murders, and land stealing. The Spanish empire really wasn’t much better than the English one when it came to settling the “new world”. It’s just that by the time the Anglos did venture out “west” it wasn’t the way things were depicted. Hispanic cities were thriving a hundred years before the pilgrims came over, Native American ones 600 years before that.

pretty bizarre set of images to have on public display.thanks for the info.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs