AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#16New Post! Jan 22, 2018 @ 19:15:10
@Erimitus Said

---------------------------

Eagle: Why is objectivity instantly of more value than subjectivity?

E: In science objectivity is important.

Eagle: …in some cases [Bias’ are] necessarily built in to the human mind for defense and should remain so.

E: I do not know. Are you saying that bias’ are inherent?

E: How are we defining bias?

Eagle: You mention vestigial biases in another post above, I'm not sure I know what you mean by those,

E: Biases change. Some biases remain after they no longer serve any purpose.

Eagle: I believe biases are at least in part a product of personal experience.

E: I do not know. I have been thinking of biases as learned and had not considered the possibility of genetic bias.

Eagle: Sometimes [Biases] lead to things like racism

E: Possibly primitive society (i.e., tribal unit) competing with another tribal unit for limited resources would be xenophobic. I am not sure what the origin of racism is but have been thinking of it as a learned cultural bias.

E: I can see that distrust of that which is foreign could be genetic but I am still skeptical.

Eagle: sometimes [biases] lead to things like a young woman avoiding a suspicious looking, much larger and stronger man who she does not know. That sort of bias is beneficial to her.

E: yes

Eage: She does not objectively know the man's character or anything about his history, but does that matter in her case if she sees him on a dark street with no one else around?
E: assessment of another’s character is subjective. Man is objective. Large is relative, based on experience and subjective. Fear of large men (as I understand it) is learned.

Eagle: Does objectivity count as much [when encountering a threat]?

E: yes

Eagle: Maybe I am taking the question in a direction you didn't intend and if so...ignore me.

E: we go where it takes us….

I need a refresher in reading comprehension. I had failed to notice this was in the science forum and have grown used to you posting in the philosophy forum. If there was a need for demonstration of biases and a lack of objectivity leading to error, at the very least I have served a useful purpose in that vein.

When I referred to an inherent bias, what I really meant was the biases we form based on our experience serving the instinct to survive. Humans are tribal animals and I believe that to be instinctual and a part of our biological nature, the same as altruism can ultimately be claimed to be based in our biology. Those tendencies toward tribalism and altruism (the sacrifice of ourselves for the sake of our progeny) can manifest in biases we have about others.

@chaski Said

With the exception of some extreme survival situations, it (IMO) is better for the adult to be rational and objective.

Subjective action based on a personal history of objective thought....once one has learned, one's response is no longer objective, but rather subjective based on the previously gathered objective data.

Or something like that.

Isn't it possible to be rational and subjective?

The woman who crosses the dark street to avoid interacting with a perceived threat (the large, suspicious looking man) is acting both out of subjective observation and in a way that many (myself included) would call rational. It is completely reasonable for her to do so. I would certainly ascribe that action to a survival instinct, but I wouldn't call it an extreme one.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#17New Post! Jan 22, 2018 @ 20:30:41
@Eaglebauer Said

Isn't it possible to be rational and subjective?

Yes.

But that subjectivity probably (I think) starts from 1st being objective.

Example: One objectively considers the options of which roads to drive between point A and point B. After obtaining the data, one make an "objective" decision... the 1st time. But, living in the area and repeatedly considering the best route between point A and point B, eventually the rational person becomes subjective in making the decision.

Example 2: Hearing a loud noise and then jumping out of the way of an oncoming train, is probably subjective...at the moment the decision is made. And it is also a rational decision.

etc

"extreme" might have been the wrong word.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#18New Post! Jan 22, 2018 @ 22:12:18
@chaski Said

With the exception of some extreme survival situations, it (IMO) is better for the adult to be rational and objective.

Subjective action based on a personal history of objective thought....once one has learned, one's response is no longer objective, but rather subjective based on the previously gathered objective data.

Or something like that.

well said

#19New Post! Jan 22, 2018 @ 22:46:02

Erimitus: There is inherent species specific perception. (a bat experiences a different world than a human). There are inherent behaviors. (a cat behaves in a different way than a dog)

I have no argument with the idea of inherent predispositions.

I label (as you do) inherent predisposition as instinct

I label learned predisposition as bias.

Inherent predisposition could be labeled [X] or [IP] and learned predisposition could be labeled [Y] or [LP].

It seems to me that we agree on the concepts but not on the symbols used to name them. I am not asking anyone to accept the labels that I use. It would, however, increase the potential for communication if the symbols I use and the symbols you use referred to the same concept.

Science investigates objects. Objects are measurable. That which is measurable is an object. The closer the measurement is to that which is the case the greater the accuracy of a conclusion based on the measurement.

There is a true story I will relate later that exemplifies but I must forage for food now or go hunger.

#20New Post! Jan 23, 2018 @ 00:26:30
I cannot cite a source but I accepted this story as true when I read it.

Up until the middle of the last century eugenics was main stream science. There were three major races (black, white, and yellow) and all other races were subsets of the three.

White people were considered by eugenicists (who happened to be white) to be a superior race.

A white scientist (with letters after his name) set out to prove that Caucasian brains were larger than Negroied brains. So he took two skulls, one from a white man and one from a black man, and proceeded to fill each skull with small seeds. When the skulls were full he counted the seeds in each one and the white man’s skull had more seeds in it proving conclusively that the white man had a larger brain.

Apparently the skulls and seeds are still existent and although I have not seen them myself a person who has seen them points out that the white man’s skull that the scientist used is clearly larger than the black man’s. And …and the seeds in the white man’s skull were packed in very tightly while the seeds in the black man’s skull were not.

It may be that the scientist had racial bias and did this unconsciously. A good scientist tests a thesis with as little bias as possible.

And so ends the story.

There are currently still white supremacists, black supremacists, and yellow supremacists. They hold vestigial biases and cannot offer any evidence in support of their claims.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs