Dirty words...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Dec 16, 2017 @ 17:25:48
Well FoxNews is reporting the story, so it must be true:

The Trump administration is prohibiting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from using seen words: “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence –based” and “science-based.”

I guess it is rational for a science based institution to not use words these words, especially “fetus,” “evidence –based” and “science-based.”

Dirty words!
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#2New Post! Dec 16, 2017 @ 21:15:03
The CDC.... "To accomplish our mission, CDC conducts critical science and provides health information that protects our nation against expensive and dangerous health threats, and responds when these arise."

But in the Republican/Conservative PC world, they shouldn't base their work on "science".
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Dec 16, 2017 @ 23:45:28
@chaski Said

Well FoxNews is reporting the story, so it must be true:

The Trump administration is prohibiting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from using seen words: “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “transgender,” “fetus,” “evidence –based” and “science-based.”

I guess it is rational for a science based institution to not use words these words, especially “fetus,” “evidence –based” and “science-based.”

Dirty words!

You beat me to it ...

George Carlin progeny's can update his skit.

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Dec 16, 2017 @ 23:53:13
Slippery Slope comes to mind ...

... Is that banned yet?

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Dec 17, 2017 @ 00:22:14
I wonder if the EPA is banned from those words too? Or is Scrubbing the website enough..
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#6New Post! Dec 17, 2017 @ 00:25:02
@mrmhead Said

I wonder if the EPA is banned from those words too? Or is Scrubbing the website enough..

Apparently they're not allowed to talk about "climate change" nor "global warming"... scrubbed from their website and at least one conference canceled.

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Dec 17, 2017 @ 01:21:18
Next up, Trump will ban the phrase "Fahrenheit 451"

And so much work for These Guys could go down the drain.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#8New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 11:42:19
The Feds will occasionally ban certain turns of phrases from official documents and processes. It might be helpful for the CDC to avoid trendy expressions when putting together a budget
. . . .

I believe a course correction is needed to de-politicize these various agencies.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 12:55:30
@mrmhead Said

You beat me to it ...

George Carlin progeny's can update his skit.

I read that too fast and thought it said "update his skirt." Then, in the gloomy, 60 watt twilight of pre-7am, it morphed in my mind to "up the skirt" which, when thinking of George Carlin, isn't sexy.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 13:36:39
@GAKingKong Said

The Feds will occasionally ban certain turns of phrases from official documents and processes. It might be helpful for the CDC to avoid trendy expressions when putting together a budget
. . . .

I believe a course correction is needed to de-politicize these various agencies.

Is what is good for the goose good for the gander though?

Either we can say that the government is right to assume such reaching power as to ban language in documents or we say that the government should step back when it comes to policing language.

What I'm getting at is...why is it okay in the minds of a lot of conservatives to ban certain verbiage if it frames things liberally, but as soon as the coin is turned we are all victims of PC thugs who want to control how we speak? I ask that question as a man who does not call himself a liberal.

1984 is okay and above board as long as it protects one agenda and not another?

No...it's not. In either case, it's not okay.

, Florida
#11New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 14:07:14
@Eaglebauer Said

Is what is good for the goose good for the gander though?

Either we can say that the government is right to assume such reaching power as to ban language in documents or we say that the government should step back when it comes to policing language.

What I'm getting at is...why is it okay in the minds of a lot of conservatives to ban certain verbiage if it frames things liberally, but as soon as the coin is turned we are all victims of PC thugs who want to control how we speak? I ask that question as a man who does not call himself a liberal.

1984 is okay and above board as long as it protects one agenda and not another?

No...it's not. In either case, it's not okay.

I would like to see the budgeting group banning certain phrases for the sake of clarity.

Example: "science-based" can't be used but perhaps a longer phrase could be put in place to get the message across without the existing political baggage.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 14:38:58
@GAKingKong Said

I would like to see the budgeting group banning certain phrases for the sake of clarity.

Example: "science-based" can't be used but perhaps a longer phrase could be put in place to get the message across without the existing political baggage.

For the sake of who's clarity? The budgeting groups? What if the reigns change next election and the budgeting group is staffed by some extreme liberals who need to "clarify" certain things you might agree with?

The word clarify there can be replaced with censor just so you get my meaning.

Or should we remove that power when it doesn't clarify things the "right way?"

, Florida
#13New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 14:56:30
@Eaglebauer Said

For the sake of who's clarity? The budgeting groups? What if the reigns change next election and the budgeting group is staffed by some extreme liberals who need to "clarify" certain things you might agree with?

The word clarify there can be replaced with censor just so you get my meaning.

Or should we remove that power when it doesn't clarify things the "right way?"

I get feedback now and again from a few GS's and was startled to learn about a few phrases that have been abandoned. They use it as a way to modify the Command Climate I guess.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#14New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 15:55:49
@GAKingKong Said

Like when the CDC is doing studies on the impact of the Zika virus on fetuses... they shouldn't say in their budget proposals that then want money for the study of the impact of the Zika virus on fetuses...

They should say they want money for the study of the impact of the Zika virus on the unborn baby (which as it turns out is called a "fetus" ).

Or when the CDC is conducting scientific studies they shouldn't in their budget request money for science-based programs even though essentially all of their work is science-based. In stead they should talk around it and say something like "we want money for our programs that are based in scientific research".

chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#15New Post! Dec 18, 2017 @ 16:09:50
If I was working for the CDC, every time I wanted to use one of these terms I would just use the entire dictionary definition of the words.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs