Religion & Philosophy

What is the worst crime/sin?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Aug 05, 2017 @ 23:17:51
At the end of the movie "The Devil's Advocate" the devil says, Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.

Maybe you believe in religion...god(s)... or maybe you do not... regardless of whether your view is religious, moral, legal, survival of the species...other...etc....

What do you think is the worst sin... worst crime... worst violation of morals...worst crime against humanity...?

Maybe "you" have more than one...?

For me... I am torn between the exploitation of children and the destruction of earth's environment.... (paraphrased... sort of) hurting the most innocent vs. threatening all.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#2New Post! Aug 06, 2017 @ 09:44:44
@chaski Said

At the end of the movie "The Devil's Advocate" the devil says, Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.

Maybe you believe in religion...god(s)... or maybe you do not... regardless of whether your view is religious, moral, legal, survival of the species...other...etc....

What do you think is the worst sin... worst crime... worst violation of morals...worst crime against humanity...?

For me... I am torn between the exploitation of children and the destruction of earth's environment.... (paraphrased... sort of) hurting the most innocent vs. threatening all.

The worst sin is intentionally causing unnecessary harm.

The worst crime is bearing false witness

The worst violation of moralsis lust

The worst crime against humanity is greed
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#3New Post! Aug 06, 2017 @ 14:20:08
@Erimitus Said

The worst sin is intentionally causing unnecessary harm.

The worst crime is bearing false witness

The worst violation of moralsis lust

The worst crime against humanity is greed

Is there a type or form of causing unnecessary harm that is the worst?

Lust... what if the "lust" is between two consenting adults...or between two married adults?

#4New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 00:24:56
@chaski Said

Is there a type or form of causing unnecessary harm that is the worst?

Lust... what if the "lust" is between two consenting adults...or between two married adults?

Intentionally causing unnecessary harm would be the worst form

I believe we use the word lust differently
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#5New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 05:08:22
@Erimitus Said

Intentionally causing unnecessary harm would be the worst form

Like smacking someone in the face because you think their shirt is ugly.... or like slowly torturing someone to death by filleting their head while boiling their feet in peanut oil...?

#6New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 08:00:43
@chaski Said

Like smacking someone in the face because you think their shirt is ugly.... or like slowly torturing someone to death by filleting their head while boiling their feet in peanut oil...?

Degrees of evil. I believe Dante would assign foot boilers to a low level of hell.

Unnecessary harm due to inaction and unnecessary harm due volitional action might be equally evil.

There are those who argue that thinking about it is as bad as doing it. I believe it was Augustine who thought that but not sure and not interested enough to look it up.

and (as usual I wander off topic) alas
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 12:22:11
@Erimitus Said

Degrees of evil. I believe Dante would assign foot boilers to a low level of hell.

Unnecessary harm due to inaction and unnecessary harm due volitional action might be equally evil.

There are those who argue that thinking about it is as bad as doing it. I believe it was Augustine who thought that but not sure and not interested enough to look it up.

and (as usual I wander off topic) alas

I don't know if it was intentional that you mentioned degrees of evil and Augustine in the same post, but it's poignant (at least to me).

I'm not sure without looking either if Augustine believed thinking of sin was as bad as committing the act, but he absolutely subscribed to the concept of differing degrees of sin, and even held that not all evil is sin.

Anyway...to address the OP...

I agree with both Chaski and Erimitus. I think that intentional harm that is not necessary or at least without reason is among the greatest transgressions and even more so when it is done to the most innocent (children).
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 13:15:27
years ago, i saw " dante's inferno " (1935). it was an excellent movie, considering it look the story more children's movie. i never knew much about the story behind the movie. it was hard to take seriously, it watching a fantasy movie like " dumbo " or something.

now, i can understand more about the movie. it make sense, the different layers of hell. the bible was described to men, how understand what hell is. god put in the bible, the fantasy and other things for examples to help man to understand things. the bible could have designed as a text book, it could be more hard to understand.

even today, if i read about the layers of hell from wilki, i don't take it serious. in many ways, the layers of hell does make sense, in describe hell. the layers of hell is more to scare people that not to sin than anything else.

dante's inferno is a good teacher's aid only.

#9New Post! Aug 07, 2017 @ 15:25:57
@twilitezone911 Said

years ago, i saw " dante's inferno " (1935). it was an excellent movie, considering it look the story more children's movie. i never knew much about the story behind the movie. it was hard to take seriously, it watching a fantasy movie like " dumbo " or something.

now, i can understand more about the movie. it make sense, the different layers of hell. the bible was described to men, how understand what hell is. god put in the bible, the fantasy and other things for examples to help man to understand things. the bible could have designed as a text book, it could be more hard to understand.

even today, if i read about the layers of hell from wilki, i don't take it serious. in many ways, the layers of hell does make sense, in describe hell. the layers of hell is more to scare people that not to sin than anything else.

dante's inferno is a good teacher's aid only.

At some point in antiquity I attempted to read the Divine comedy but never got past the Inferno. I have the books stashed in the attic somewhere.

With the exception of some recreational reading I have not read a book in years. Now when I am curious about a book I Google it and read about it.
Justpassing On February 03, 2021

Avoca Vic Australia, Australia
#10New Post! Oct 03, 2017 @ 22:32:05
@chaski Said

Matthew talks a lot about hindering children and causing them to 'sin'.

I take 'hindering' and 'to sin' meaning to turn away from God because of the actions of others.

Like forcing them to go to church, being religiously harsh and strict, and telling kids crap (untruths.

When this happens they are not responsible for their non-beliefs because of what they had been taught and experienced.

If there is such a thing as "worst sin" then this is it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs