The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

A good beating as a way of teaching people respect.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Conflict On about 3 hours ago

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#31New Post! Sep 02, 2017 @ 13:14:34
I'd like to give a real life example, using someone I know. He had a very disciplinarian father, who would beat his children with a belt if they did something wrong.

My friend told me that what would usually happen was his mother would have them all wait with her until his father came home and then tell him what happened. Then, 'never in anger' as he told me - a direct quote - he would hit them on the butt with his belt a number of times.

Now, this is a metaphorical way of 'getting your a** kicked 101' that seeks to teach punish children, with the aim of 'teaching them some respect.' How is it, though that this sort of thing is only found on street level nowadays and not in most urban households?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Sep 03, 2017 @ 07:48:55
It sounds to me like a case of severe child abuse which, in my country, is an imprisonable offence. If I ever heard of any parent doing that to their child I would be onto Social Services and the police like a rocket.

I have heard of such brutality, at first hand among my peer group, and recounted by sufferers on places such as LGBT discussion forums where young people were subjected to violence by parents or guardians in the mistaken belief that it was "teaching them a lesson", or "toughening them up for life". And in some cases, as a means of correction when the individual came out as being gay.

You cannot beat homosexuality out of somebody just as much as you can't beat good behaviour into them.

If the survivor eventually grows up to be a good, productive, well balanced person as an adult then it is more likely to be in spite of what happened to them rather than because of it.

And often, the survivor grows up with a firm resolve never to adopt those behaviours towards their own children because they don't want to become the parent that they suffered. An attitude of "I'm not going to be like him. I'm going to be better than that."

It is the rejection of what they endured as children that makes them better adults.

I note from your siggy that you say: Conflict is a vital part of our being. It makes us strong, reinforces our beliefs and gives us the power to destroy whatever tries to break our spirit.

I reject that argument. As I've already stated, the child becomes the better adult in SPITE of conflict, not because of it. They would probably have grown up to be good people if they hadn't been beaten. The only thing beating reinforces is a deeper determination to the good nature that was already there.

Where a young person is faced with adversity, the strength to overcome it can come from within..... from an ability to rationalise. It can come from education.... by listening to the words of the wise. It can come from inspiration.... the example of those who have gone before who suffered and overcame by their own efforts.

Violence is destructive and by rejecting it, we overcome it. That is the true meaning of "What does not destroy you makes you stronger".
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#33New Post! Sep 03, 2017 @ 16:02:18
the true meaning of "What does not destroy you makes you stronger

"What does not destroy you makes you stronger". "Twilight of the Idols” <<Nietzsche>>>

“That which does not kill you makes you stronger” “Dark Knight” <<The Joker>>

“That which does not kill you makes you stronger” <<Hitler>>

I heard that Julius Caesar may have said it too

It seems to me the quote has different meanings for different people.

#34New Post! Sep 05, 2017 @ 01:14:39
C: Conflict is a vital part of being.

E: I would say that conflict is the essence of being.

J: Conflict is NOT a vital part of our being.

E: We seem to have a conflict of opinion here.

C: Conflict makes us strong

J: Conflict does NOT make us strong

E: Conflict may make us stronger

E: Conflict may make us weaker

E: Conflict probably has some influence on us.

E: When there is a conflict there are choices; ignore, attack, defend, retreat… The choice depends on the situation and the situation continually changes.

C: Conflict reinforces our beliefs

E: How?

J: Conflict does NOT reinforce our beliefs

E: Why?

C: Conflict gives us the power to destroy whatever tries to break our spirit.

J: Conflict does NOT give us the power to destroy whatever tries to break our spirit.

E: Please explain
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Sep 05, 2017 @ 04:29:00
Conflict does the hokey-cokey and it turns around. That's what it's all about.

Seriously, conflict itself is a word with a number of interpretations. It does not necessarily mean violence.

If I disagree with somebody on a thread, then I am in conflict with them. If we were doing this in a room rather than on a message board, we wouldn't necessarily end up coming to blows over it.

If I had information about somebody which I should disclose to the authorities, but do not do so because it would disadvantage me as a knock on effect, that is said to be a "conflict of interests".

I do like the way you put your analytical mind to subjects, E. But I prefer plain speaking myself.

Simply put, in my opinion, conflict is OK but it doesn't have to be violent. Indeed, we'd be a much better people if it invariably wasn't.

#36New Post! Sep 05, 2017 @ 06:19:40
C: Conflict does the hokey-cokey and it turns around. That's what it's all about.

E: good analogy

E: The Hokey-Pokey is a dance performed in a circle accompanied by a song that describes the moments of the dance. And that (as you point out) is what it is all about.

E: The same ol’ song and dance.

C: conflict … is a word with a number of interpretations.

E: Conflict is a vague term at best. I suppose a particular interpretation is influenced (at least in part) by context.

C: The term conflict does not necessarily mean violence.
E: That is how I understand it.

E: Maybe we could come to some agreement on what the terms conflict and violence are describing. I will give it some thought before I post anything.

C: If I disagree with somebody on a thread, then I am in conflict with them.

E: <<Nods head in agreement>>

C: If we were doing this in a room rather than on a message board, we wouldn't necessarily end up coming to blows over it.

E: Not necessarily; not a very high probability either. Anger usually precedes violence and it is very seldom that I experience anger so intense as to interfere with reason. And …and when I am threatened my response is to flee.

C: If I had information about somebody which I should disclose to the authorities, but do not do so because it would disadvantage me as a knock on effect, that is said to be a "conflict of interests".

C: If I had information about somebody which I should disclose to the authorities, but do not do so because it would disadvantage me as a knock on effect, that is said to be a "conflict of interests".

E: Ambivalence

C: I do like the way you put your analytical mind to subjects, E. But I prefer plain speaking myself.

E: We (or at least I) tend to use (based on experience and programming) whatever works best for us.

C: …conflict is OK but it doesn't have to be violent.

E: we agree.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs