The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Gaming:
Video Games

Trading Pokemon Between Red and Yellow

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Heavenlover22 On April 19, 2024

#1New Post! May 25, 2017 @ 20:58:12
*In both Game Boy Paks and Virtual Console.

There are some Pokemon (Cubone, Mankey, Chansey, Pinsir, Eevee, etc.) in Yellow Version with movesets different from those of their counterparts in Red. For example, Charizard doesn't know Fly until Yellow, and Eevee knows Quick Attack earlier in Yellow compared to Red as well as knowing Growl in Yellow. So, if I trade a Charizard with Fly from Yellow to Red, will Pokemon Red be okay or crash?

Just a thought.
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#2New Post! Jun 04, 2017 @ 02:26:40
Maybe you'll be able to use it in battle, but not in the game? I'd like to know now lol. Good question.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#3New Post! Jun 04, 2017 @ 07:42:20
@Heavenlover22 Said

*In both Game Boy Paks and Virtual Console.

There are some Pokemon (Cubone, Mankey, Chansey, Pinsir, Eevee, etc.) in Yellow Version with movesets different from those of their counterparts in Red. For example, Charizard doesn't know Fly until Yellow, and Eevee knows Quick Attack earlier in Yellow compared to Red as well as knowing Growl in Yellow. So, if I trade a Charizard with Fly from Yellow to Red, will Pokemon Red be okay or crash?

Just a thought.

This is just a guess, but if the granddaddies (aka. gen 1) works the same as I remember then as long as there is data for the move in question in the game it should be fine. Growl, for instance is a Gen 1 move. It should, in theory, work and not crash your game if you have it on say a ditto or something. As long as the move existed in the generation which you're trading to it should work. There may be questions of whether or not a move or moveset on a pokemon is 'legal', like the aforementioned growl on ditto, but that concern only really matters if you plan on taking it into competitive. If you just want it in your game than it shouldn't be a problem as long as the data exists in that game to make that thing exist. Hence why you can create 'hacked' pokemon like a lvl 1 Dragonite. It's certainly illegal but it shouldn't really crash your game.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#4New Post! Jun 04, 2017 @ 16:43:34
Charizard would be able to use Fly.

Trading a Gen 2 Magnemite/Magneton back to Gen 1 however will f*** your files up in all kinds of ways.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs