After Two Wars, Standing Rock is the First Time I Served the American People

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Oct 31, 2016 @ 00:46:04
Quote:
After Two Wars, Standing Rock is the First Time I Served the American People

The Sioux struggle against the pipeline embraces so many other struggles in this nation. It encompasses struggles against climate catastrophe, a history of breaking treaties with Native Americans, attacks on the right to assemble, assaults on journalists, the militarization of police, and placing corporate profits over human rights.
We saw journalists being attacked and warrants issued for their arrests just for holding a microphone and interviewing people. We saw police forces using military-grade equipment that Matt and I used in combat zones overseas. We saw the infringement of constitutional rights such as the right to assemble. But most important, we saw Native Americans courageously continue to defend their land and people from a genocidal 500-year war against the state and corporations alike.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/10/30/after-two-wars-standing-rock-first-time-i-served-american-people

It is difficult to understand how the fed gov. and the cops think they can continue with this type treatment of American citizens and their rights .
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#2New Post! Oct 31, 2016 @ 12:27:54
How many months have the protesters been there? Have they always been camped on private property? Were they ever asked to leave?

When talking about all the corporate greed try to remember that it's stock owners that are the happiest. How many of the protesters have oil stocks in their retirement portfolio?

Not all Standing Rock Sioux are happy.

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Oct 31, 2016 @ 22:41:47
@Deal_With_It Said

How many months have the protesters been there? Have they always been camped on private property? Were they ever asked to leave?

When talking about all the corporate greed try to remember that it's stock owners that are the happiest. How many of the protesters have oil stocks in their retirement portfolio?

As I understand it , from reading the news reports , the main encampment is the original one and hasn't been asked or ordered to move , nor has it been attacked as of yet . It is my understanding , that it is a mile or so from the Standing Rock reservation and a mile or more away from the pipeline . I read that the encampment's 'real name ' isn't Standing Rock camp , the reservation is called the Standing Rock reservation . The camps name is in the native lanugage of the Sioux nation . The encampment that took the butt end of the violence from law enforcement this last week, was a new encampment and was set up on the site that will be the 'pipe lines ' home away from home ' for lack of any better way to explane the way I'm understanding it. I'm not up on the lingo of corporations .

Here is my opinon on the rest of your questions .
Yes, the people of the Sioux nation are indivisural humans and each are capable of having tjheir own thoughts and feelings on any number of topics. It comes as no no surprise that the thoughts and feelings of the whole are not all the same color ,size and shape.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 00:17:45
@Deal_With_It Said

Average income in Standing Rock is under $5,000. The Lakota have not taken any money from the theft of the Black Hills & they are not about to take any money for polluting Wni miconi! The usa has punished these people for way too long.

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 00:41:01
@shinobinoz Said

Average income in Standing Rock is under $5,000. The Lakota have not taken any money from the theft of the Black Hills & they are not about to take any money for polluting Wni miconi! The usa has punished these people for way too long.

I have not read the linked to site in her post yet. But going on what she asked and how it is worded plus the ' name' she gave her link , IMO it is all a trick question and not even a very good trick .

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 02:58:33
@Deal_With_It Said

okay , lets do some math .
the report says if you go to the camps you won't find many standing Rock residents. well duh, if you had a house just a mile or so away , would you move into a tent and sleep in a sleeping bag or would 'commute back and forth every day ?

So 88 people out of a total pop. of 840 voted on the requisit from the encampmaent to move the camp , now I have no idea how many of that 840 are of voting age but I'm betting it's a lot more then 1 % .

And about that growing pile of sleeping bags in the corner of that office , that bit of info alone , makes the entire white washed article worth reading . I have small pile of sleeping bags that are no longer being used on hunting trips and was wondering how to go about finding out how , who and where to get the info on where to send them . so thanks for the link .

Here's some facts to go along with this deal .

Fort Laramie Treaty 1868
the Dakota Access Pipeline violates Article II of this treaty.

Summary of Section 106 which pertains to consultation of tribes in identifying cultural sites of importance

link to what the UN has to say

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 03:10:28
I'm going to share my opinon on the way a tightly knit community of first nation treats other human beings who are not born into their community , my opinion is based on what I seen and experienced one winter when I lived in the home of members of the Jicailla Apache nation in the northern part of new Mexico. I wasn't homeless nor hungry when I was invited to winter with the family. I had met one of the daughters as a co worker on a summer job , we hit it off from the start , then I met one of the son's and ooh la la ,,,
enough history,
The ladies run the home, everyone knows this , no one questions this .. there was not one time that someone showed up at the door that they weren't brought in and offered what ever it was they needed for their comfort. warmth, food ,a visit , whatever it was that brought them to the door was theirs for the asking.
I know that sounds crazy in todays world of 4 dead bolt locks on a door with tiny peep hole and 1 in. mail slots , I could say it has nothing at all to do with respect or I could say it is all about respect . And both would be absolutely correct and totally wrong . What it really is , it's like this , In a home they are a guest in , it is second nature to behave like a guest in some ones home . And in a home that is host to a guest, it is second nature to behave like a host . It's that simply complicated.
so , in the article where the reporter made it sound as if it had been a hard ship to care for two children while their parents were incarcerated for a day or two , that's just one of many clues that this reporter took the words that she heard and put a white wash on them . Now those uninvited people found in the shed , that is a whole nother story . they would have been better off to have knocked on the door like human beings do instead of sneaking into that shed like people who have some reason to be sneaking around .
I'm not lumping all the nations into the same lump here, what i am doing is describing some thing that is universal in a first nations community.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 03:32:05
@white_swan53 Said

okay , lets do some math .
the report says if you go to the camps you won't find many standing Rock residents. well duh, if you had a house just a mile or so away , would you move into a tent and sleep in a sleeping bag or would 'commute back and forth every day ?

So 88 people out of a total pop. of 840 voted on the requisit from the encampmaent to move the camp , now I have no idea how many of that 840 are of voting age but I'm betting it's a lot more then 1 % .

And about that growing pile of sleeping bags in the corner of that office , that bit of info alone , makes the entire white washed article worth reading . I have small pile of sleeping bags that are no longer being used on hunting trips and was wondering how to go about finding out how , who and where to get the info on where to send them . so thanks for the link .

Here's some facts to go along with this deal .

Fort Laramie Treaty 1868
the Dakota Access Pipeline violates Article II of this treaty.

Summary of Section 106 which pertains to consultation of tribes in identifying cultural sites of importance

link to what the UN has to say

It of course was a CNN smear job. Find a dissenter & promote the lie that there really isn't much support. I mean 50-60% voter turnout of "eligible" american voters & you don't see CNN complaining that not all americans are supportive of america.

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 03:45:06
The headline 'Not all the Standing Rock Sioux are protesting the pipeline ' is very mis leading

The Standing Rock Sioux nation does protest what and how the pipeline is being shoved in their face . it's the disturbance and disruption in the day to day lives ,that several hundred people all showing up suddenly , can and does cause in a small town / community , then add in the law enforcement helicopters and planes and road blocks and violence . If a person isn't familiar with small town living they won't be able to grasp the effects of something like what is happening there on the Standing Rock reservation.
It's not that the people don't appreciate all the support and solidarity in their fight/ protest of the pipe line , but when you think about it a moment it has to be pretty over whelming to a people that for centuries have become accustom to standing alone in their fight against this type of deal.

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 04:22:12
Food for thought. ,, these peoples grand parents survived the black hills gold rush,, no small feat

Black Hills Gold Rush

The United States government recognized the Black Hills as belonging to the Sioux by the Treaty of Laramie in 1868. Despite being within Indian territory, and therefore off-limits, white Americans were increasingly interested in the gold-mining possibilities of the Black Hills.

The Black Hills Gold Rush began in 1874. The first arrivals were a force of one thousand men led by George Armstrong Custer ,,,,

Although all the land was claimed thousands more flocked in,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hills_Gold_Rush
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#11New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 20:21:14
@white_swan53 Said

I'm going to share my opinon on the way a tightly knit community of first nation treats other human beings who are not born into their community , my opinion is based on what I seen and experienced one winter when I lived in the home of members of the Jicailla Apache nation in the northern part of new Mexico. I wasn't homeless nor hungry when I was invited to winter with the family. I had met one of the daughters as a co worker on a summer job , we hit it off from the start , then I met one of the son's and ooh la la ,,,
enough history,
The ladies run the home, everyone knows this , no one questions this .. there was not one time that someone showed up at the door that they weren't brought in and offered what ever it was they needed for their comfort. warmth, food ,a visit , whatever it was that brought them to the door was theirs for the asking.
I know that sounds crazy in todays world of 4 dead bolt locks on a door with tiny peep hole and 1 in. mail slots , I could say it has nothing at all to do with respect or I could say it is all about respect . And both would be absolutely correct and totally wrong . What it really is , it's like this , In a home they are a guest in , it is second nature to behave like a guest in some ones home . And in a home that is host to a guest, it is second nature to behave like a host . It's that simply complicated.
so , in the article where the reporter made it sound as if it had been a hard ship to care for two children while their parents were incarcerated for a day or two , that's just one of many clues that this reporter took the words that she heard and put a white wash on them . Now those uninvited people found in the shed , that is a whole nother story . they would have been better off to have knocked on the door like human beings do instead of sneaking into that shed like people who have some reason to be sneaking around .
I'm not lumping all the nations into the same lump here, what i am doing is describing some thing that is universal in a first nations community.

It's probably a NM thing, but it always surprises me how similar and yet different our life paths are in terms of knowing people from otherwise small unknown parts of the state. My first roommate in college was a member of the Jicarilla Apache tribe. When the state fair came, it was a few weeks after school started and I was far from my home and no family, they insisted I tag along, and treated me like family because they did want me left all alone in the dorm. It was really nice and done without a second thought in a way I may not have realized as a 18yr old kid, but I look back and appreciate the welcoming and kindness.

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 20:45:59
@DiscordTiger Said

It's probably a NM thing, but it always surprises me how similar and yet different our life paths are in terms of knowing people from otherwise small unknown parts of the state. My first roommate in college was a member of the Jicarilla Apache tribe. When the state fair came, it was a few weeks after school started and I was far from my home and no family, they insisted I tag along, and treated me like family because they did want me left all alone in the dorm. It was really nice and done without a second thought in a way I may not have realized as a 18yr old kid, but I look back and appreciate the welcoming and kindness.

At the time i remember thanking my lucky stars that my grandmother had , had a hand in raising me , because she made sure I knew how to be respectful of my elders . It wasn't till later that I fully appreciated my time spent in that home that winter , the son and I are still friends , not ooh la la friends anymore ,even better friends now . The weird part is I had who brang withthem a friend who turned out to be a rude guest come in my home and that was what made remember and appreciate that time and people .

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 20:58:03
double post
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! Nov 01, 2016 @ 23:12:45
@DiscordTiger Said

I am friends with lots of Kiowa & many of the Apaches I know are Mescalero-Chiricahua including some of Geronimo's family. A family friend who was his descendant looked just like Geronimo called me son when he was still living. I miss him.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs