ACTS - The Life and Ministry of Paul

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#31New Post! Mar 24, 2016 @ 04:22:08
What do you see as the good news, and the bad news in Paul's sermon, continued here:

ACTS 13:23 From this man's descendants God has brought to Israel the Savior Jesus, as he promised. 24)Before the coming of Jesus, John preached repentance and baptism to all the people of Israel. 25)As John was completing his work, he said: 'Who do you think I am? I am not that one. No, but he is coming after me, whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.'

26)Brothers, children of Abraham, and you God-fearing gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent. 27)The people of Jerusalem and their rulers did not recognize Jesus, yet in condemning him they fulfilled the words of the prophets that are read every Sabbath. 29)Though they found no proper ground for a death sentence, they asked Pilate to have him executed. 29)When they had carried out all that was written about him, they took him down from the tree and laid him in a tomb. 30)But God raised him from the dead, 31)and for many days he was seen by those who had traveled with him from Galilee to Jerusalem. They are now his witnesses to our people. 32)We tell you the good news: What God promised our fathers, he has fulfilled for us, their children, by raising up Jesus. As it is written in the second Psalm: You are my Son; today I have become your Father.

34)The fact that God raised him from the dead, never to decay, is stated in these words: "I will give you the holy and sure blessings promised to David." 35)And so it is stated elsewhere: "You will not let your Holy One see decay."

36)For when David had served God's purpose in his own generation, he fell asleep, he was buried with his fathers and his body decayed. 37)But the one whom God raised from the dead did not see decay.
38)Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39)Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses. 40)Take care that what the prophets have said does not happen to you: "Look you scoffers, wonder and perish, for I am going to do something in your days that you would never believe even if someone told you.

What's the good news --- seems pretty easy to answer!
What's the bad news?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#32New Post! Mar 24, 2016 @ 04:36:25
Acts 13:43) When the congregation was dismissed, many of the Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who talked with them and urged them ...exhorted them... to continue in the grace of God.

__
The Jewish leaders undoubtedly brought theological arguments against Paul and Barnabas, but Luke tells us that the real reason for their hostility was that 'they were filled with jealousy'. When we see others succeeding where we haven't, or receiving the affirmation we crave, it is hard to rejoice with them. Jealousy is a natural reaction.

---
For non-christians: When our own negative thoughts/feelings/jealousy
prevents us from respecting the good works of others, it's tragic.

If a work in progress at any given time results in improvement of the lives of those involved (but not at the expense of those involved, those not 'for' it) --- be happy, or at least accept that --- no matter who is making it happen.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs