United Kingdom

UK Soldiers To Face Murder Charges For Alleged Crimes Committed In Iraq

AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
yami On September 11, 2016

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Jan 07, 2016 @ 10:59:43
^^Black Watch, which regiment did you serve in?
LordGnome On February 24, 2017

Dayn Sayth, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jan 07, 2016 @ 11:18:45
@yami Said

^^Black Watch, which regiment did you serve in?

Interesting. So unless you are still serving then you werent in them for very long seeing as they were only formed in 2006 and not only that, most people would have said 3Scots or 3rd Batallion Royal Regiment of Scotland because before 2006 they were the Royal Highlanders. Most pongos I know are pretty meticulous about their regimental links, not like us poor old booties who are pretty comfortable with just being Marines regardless of which Commando we served in. Were you in the Stan for long? I presume that in your time you would have done service out there seeing as they were deployed near Lashgar Gah.

I had to laugh at the ton of poppy seeds you blokes captured and told the press was a significant blow to the heroin trade but instead turned out to be mung beans. Sorry but we all had a laugh at that one.

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Jan 07, 2016 @ 11:24:24
I was in the Royal Highland regiment and left in 1994.
LordGnome On February 24, 2017

Dayn Sayth, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Jan 07, 2016 @ 11:31:35
@yami Said

I was in the Royal Highland regiment and left in 1994.

Thanks for clearing that up. the last lot out of hong kong. So, did you ever serve in NI? Any active service?

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Jan 07, 2016 @ 11:44:25
@LordGnome Said

Thanks for clearing that up. the last lot out of hong kong. So, did you ever serve in NI? Any active service?

No, thankfully no active service. Never made it to HK or NI either.
As for the former, one guy in the village I grew up in made it there. Married a very wealthy woman from HK and was able to leave the army and worked for her father and made a packet. Some guys have all the luck. As for me, well I was hardly a model soldier and left as soon as I could.
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#36New Post! Jan 07, 2016 @ 16:07:41
"We" (as in our countries) spend years and billions of pounds training these guys to do what they do, in order to protect "us".
They are asked and expected to fight and kill "our" enemies on a daily basis.
They do this watching their fellow officers/brothers, suffer and die in combat at the hands of "our" enemies.

These soldiers do this without question to protect "us" so we can sleep easily at night, knowing "our" loved ones/children are safe. This doesn't come without a price.

I'm not saying extreme unauthorised acts should not be investigated. They should but at the end of the day, we need to be careful we aren't punishing these guys for what "we've" trained/funded/requested them to do.

It's bad enough these guys get barely any support transitioning back to civvey street. Their often left jobless and/or homeless suffering from mental health issues because of what they've encountered in combat.

No matter whether or not we believe in why we're currently involved in warfare or whether we believe things that happen in combat are unjust, It is warfare not a day at the office. We as countries/nations/governments sanctions this action. I believe it is "us" (Countries as a whole) that should take responsibility when war crimes are committed, not an individual soldier.
but that's just my opinion....
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#37New Post! Jan 08, 2016 @ 22:59:46
Well, Jenny didn't reply, so I went and did my homework.

It seems that on average there were 46,000 UK troops in Iraq, with a low of about 6000 and a high of just over 100,000.

So, 2 out of 46,000 works out to a little less than .00043%

The city of Perth has 2.2 million people, and we can assume that roughly half of that population is women, and 2% of them are women.

That means that Perth has 22,000 lesbians.

Based on that, you're more than twice as likely to be murdered by a lesbian in Perth than by a UK soldier in Iraq.

I'm surprised that people aren't marching on city hall, demanding that the horrible lesbian element be dealt with properly.

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Jan 09, 2016 @ 19:12:21
Very telling. So….. you saw no combat service, left the army early and by your own admission weren’t very good at what you were supposed to do. And yet you feel that you’re qualified to pontificate about what happens on the battlefield.

oooooooooo the irony here is cosmic...
anyway, those of us in favor of the war won! We won the war and the decision to go to war and got rid of an evil man and an evil regime, truly that was the only moral thing to do. Iraq is a better place now. I'm sorry you lost this one Jen but it was only right, I mean, you can't win 'em all and even your hero Ghandi started wars.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Jan 09, 2016 @ 19:28:50
@yami Said

anyway, those of us in favor of the war won! We won the war and the decision to go to war and got rid of an evil man and an evil regime, truly that was the only moral thing to do. Iraq is a better place now. I'm sorry you lost this one Jen but it was only right, I mean, you can't win 'em all and even your hero Ghandi started wars.

Oh for goodness sake.... How old are you..? Twelve...? Why don't you just add "Ner, ner, ner" on the end of your post for good measure...? It wouldn't be out of place.

There is nothing to "win" here. It isn't a football match. It's meant to be a discussion about possible prosecutions for soldiers who are alleged to have committed war crimes.

Please, just GROW UP.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#41New Post! Jan 09, 2016 @ 19:29:37
@Jennifer1984 Said

Yes, only two men have been convicted. So far. As the title of the thread indicates quite clearly, charges against others could follow. Time will tell.

As for the dreadful and horrible crimes committed by those women in Perth, well, they were investigated, arrested, charged, given a fair trial and convicted by a jury of their peers. They were then sentenced to terms of imprisonment and quite rightly too. The same thing should happen to anybody who commits acts of murder. And that includes lesbians and soldiers.

Nobody, repeat, NOBODY is above the law.

I'm willing to bet that it won't go much above the two. And I'm equally willing to bet that you'll decide that it's because of a coverup and the "men taking care of their own, regardless of the moral cost".

I'm also certain that you have absolutely no idea of what it means to serve, and you get all your ideas of how people in the military act from the movies. You rush to judgment with no knowledge and limited information, yet you're completely certain that you're correct.

I'm certain that you're not. I served, so I have some idea of what happens when soldiers and sailors go rogue, break the law, and do things that are morally unjust. And I am here to tell you it's not what you know from the movies. There's a code of honor in the military and we don't take kindly when one of our own breaks it.

Honor and valor are two things you'll never comprehend, and you're much the worse for it.

Banned

grimsby, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Jan 09, 2016 @ 19:30:15
@Jennifer1984 Said

Oh for goodness sake.... How old are you..? Twelve...? Why don't you just add "Ner, ner, ner" on the end of your post for good measure...? It wouldn't be out of place.

There is nothing to "win" here. It isn't a football match. It's meant to be a discussion about possible prosecutions for soldiers who are alleged to have committed war crimes.

Please, just GROW UP.

FREEDOM! The freedom to say what you think, to vote how you think, to form trade unions, to read what you want etc, that was what was at stake and to end the vilest regime on the planet.
You lost the Iraqi people won, so ner ner ner! With knobs on!
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#43New Post! Jan 09, 2016 @ 19:32:38
@Jennifer1984 Said

I have reported a number of his posts on this thread to the moderators via the button, but they’ve done nothing about it and I no longer have any expectation that they ever will. I report him in forlorn hope rather than justifiable expectation.

You realize that calling out the Mods in a public thread is against TOS right?
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#44New Post! Jan 09, 2016 @ 19:42:50
@Jennifer1984 Said

Yes, his comments are homophobic in nature in that, rather than rail against me as a lesbian (I know he hates me and I don’t care) he rails against lesbians. …. Note the plural….. in all his posts.

Always lesbians, not “a lesbian” or “that lesbian”, which could at least be construed as “personal”. Rather, he lumps ALL lesbians in with his bile and invective. And that IS homophobic abuse. He labels us all with the most outrageous slurs and yet…..

He claims to be a gay man himself…!! Can you believe that..?

Now, whilst it is true that some gay people don’t like each other, we at least, even in enmity, empathise with our own kind because we all have to go through the same discrimination, hurt and suffering, especially those from / in less tolerant societies. In general, we understand and support each other rather than heap a vile tirade of vicious invective against our own kind. Boxer clearly has absolutely no empathy whatsoever.

Is it not therefore strange that a self proclaimed “gay man” should be so aggressively hateful towards all lesbians as he is..? Make of that what you will. The evidence is there for all to see, in his own hand.

Are you really so dense that you don't understand that I use "LESBIANS" to point out your use of the words "MEN", "MILITARY" and "AMERICANS" when you generalize about entire populations.

Are you really that dense?
Are you honestly telling me that you're so full of yourself that you don't see that I'm drawing a parody of your posts?
Are you really that dense?

I don't believe that you are. I just think you're so full of yourself that you can't imagine anyone else would notice how much you hate everyone who isn't just like you.

Don't take it from me (and I know you won't)... look around at the number of people here who leap to your aid, and when you do get the rare occurrence, look at how long they continue to do so. If you really look at it, you'll see that you're completely alone here.

As for my life, what you think has no impact. Whether you believe it or not, our married friends Donna and Sylvanie (who was raised in London) are coming over to have dinner with my husband Bill and I, and then play some board games and have a glass or two of port. You're not believing that it happens doesn't make you right.

And, not that it matters, but there are members here on TFS that can step up to prove you wrong, because they've met me in real life and know me from other sites, but I'd prefer it if they didn't because I like it when you think you're morally superior.. it's makes me chuckle.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#45New Post! Jan 10, 2016 @ 12:50:23
I am locking this thread and issuing punches.

If members cannot get along civilly with each other, they should avoid talking to each other or otherwise understand that moderators are not kindergarten teachers charged with resolving every personal dispute you have with another member. Snarky comments are not always personal attacks and personal attacks are not always snarky comments. Every report is dealt with on a case by case basis, but a snarky comment or one that you simply don't like is not necessarily grounds for anything but quarantining of the comment and sometimes a punch being issued.

We cannot physically go to someone's house and remove his or her computer or Internet access. We cannot always ban someone for inappropriate comments because there are rules that govern how we respond to someone and we are bound by them.

That being said, further intentional baiting by anyone involved in the bickering that has become out of hand in this thread WILL result in banning.
Locked<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)