The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Biology

Does anyone know what species of bacteria this is?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
secretagentmango On September 18, 2017

Deleted

Monterey Park,
#1New Post! Oct 13, 2015 @ 02:23:01
I had a bio lab last week where we swabbed various environments and incubated bacteria on pitri dishes, and two of those environments were our fingertips and scalp. Although the experiment suddenly made me a germophobe (I always knew we had bacteria everywhere, but actually seeing them with my own eyes was a completely different story), I'm also very curious to know what species I saw. Sadly, I completely forgot to take a picture. But the colony I saw was white, round, smooth, and flat. Does anyone have an idea of what species it may be?
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#2New Post! Oct 13, 2015 @ 22:12:56
@secretagentmango Said

I had a bio lab last week where we swabbed various environments and incubated bacteria on pitri dishes, and two of those environments were our fingertips and scalp. Although the experiment suddenly made me a germophobe (I always knew we had bacteria everywhere, but actually seeing them with my own eyes was a completely different story), I'm also very curious to know what species I saw. Sadly, I completely forgot to take a picture. But the colony I saw was white, round, smooth, and flat. Does anyone have an idea of what species it may be?

That could describe literally any one of billions of bacteria. Odds are if it were from your fingertip or scalp, it's one of the more common, harmless ones. Or one of the not so harmless ones. If you get the chance to see your dish again, you can probably talk to someone in the lab if you wanna specifically identify it.

Deleted

Monterey Park,
#3New Post! Oct 13, 2015 @ 22:32:06
@psycoskunk Said

That could describe literally any one of billions of bacteria. Odds are if it were from your fingertip or scalp, it's one of the more common, harmless ones. Or one of the not so harmless ones. If you get the chance to see your dish again, you can probably talk to someone in the lab if you wanna specifically identify it.

Unfortunately we had to dispose of the dishes so I won't be seeing them again I've been wanting to ask the lab instructor but we're way too busy during class so I always forget...
Funky-Footed Skunk

#4New Post! Oct 14, 2015 @ 01:50:56
@secretagentmango Said

Unfortunately we had to dispose of the dishes so I won't be seeing them again I've been wanting to ask the lab instructor but we're way too busy during class so I always forget...

Crappy. Maybe check with your instructor to see if you can redo the experiment just for the interest of science.

Deleted

Monterey Park,
#5New Post! Oct 18, 2015 @ 00:59:19
@psycoskunk Said

Crappy. Maybe check with your instructor to see if you can redo the experiment just for the interest of science.

Just imagined myself lifting up a microscope and screaming "FOR SCIENCE" at her
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Oct 18, 2015 @ 01:07:33
Well, based on the picture you provided, I think that the clear identification is not actually a bacteria but a virus...perhaps the ebola virus...or worse yet the Tvirus...!
Funky-Footed Skunk

#7New Post! Oct 18, 2015 @ 01:24:49
@secretagentmango Said

Just imagined myself lifting up a microscope and screaming "FOR SCIENCE" at her

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs