The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Gaming

To Any Super Smash Bros. Fans Out There...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#1New Post! Jun 19, 2015 @ 19:01:08
If you have the new Smash Bros. for either Wii U or 3DS, I just wanted to let you know that they released 3 new characters on Tuesday in addition to new Mii costumes and a new stage (Dream Land N64). As for the characters, they are Lucas (returning from Brawl), Roy (returning from Melee) and f***ing Ryu from Street Fighter! That's right... Ryu from Street Fighter! He can chain combos together like in Street Fighter and you can even use the same inputs to make your moves more powerful (He can do Hadoken, Soryuken and Tatsumaki Senpu-Kyaku using B, B-Up and B-Side respectively, but their SF input versions are much stronger). He also gets two Final Smashes, but to compensate for the two, they're not as powerful and serve better as combo enders. He does the non-beam Shinku Hadoken at long range and Shin-Shoryuken at close range.

Here are the trailers:

Lucas

Roy

Ryu

mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jun 19, 2015 @ 22:50:38
My son is a Nintendo/Mario/Smash fan. I'll run this by him
Thanks
Funky-Footed Skunk

#3New Post! Jun 22, 2015 @ 19:22:57
Yay! I now have 3 new favourite fighters!

Going from least favourite to most favourite, I'll start with Lucas. I didn't like him much in Brawl, mainly because he was too weak physically, yet everyone thought he was the superior version of Ness just because his Up-B can go through things without stopping so you wouldn't have to worry about someone leaping into your attack to steal your recovery and his PK Freeze is 'much easier to use than PK Flash,' which isn't accurate at all. It's faster for sure, but it doesn't go as high and it hits ground faster, so you gotta do a small hop to give it the maximum distance/damage. His Up and Down Smashes are definitely better than Ness', but his Side Smash just doesn't have the extra kick the bat does. Probably because it's a stick... But after playing as him for a bit and finding out the subtle differences between the two, I think he's got enough tricks that make him a bit more than just a "clone character."

Ryu is by far the hardest one to master, but also the most rewarding. He has Light, Medium and Heavy versions of attacks and Specials just like in Street Fighter and can even chain together combos similar to SF too. You can also use the directional inputs from SF to do powered up versions of moves. The Soryuken is exceptionally powerful at 110%. His recovery isn't as good as it could be at times, because a few times I thought he was within range to grab a ledge, he wasn't... But other than that, if you do his Side B then his Up B to recover, you should be fine. And don't forget to hold down the button to get the most distance for both.

And finally, we have Roy! My favourite Fire Emblem character in Smash. I don't know why that is... maybe it's because in Melee, Marth always seemed kind of aloof and douchey, while Roy was more intense and outgoing. Like if after a match, if you were to shake Marth's hand, he'd be all "Ugh, whatever..." and just walk away but Roy would be all like "F*ck yeah! That was a great match!" and then fist bump you. But I digress...

They definitely made Roy his own character for the most part. Most of his aerials and all of his specials are reused from Melee, which are all cloned moves from Marth, but now Roy's Side Smash, Neutral and Side A's are all unique, with him wielding the Sword of Seals with the blade facing back. And his Up B also now has a more Horizontal variation to help him cross large distances better as he doesn't jump as high as Marth. He still hits harder than Marth, especially at the base of the blade, just like Melee. So for whoever wants to know the difference between Marth, Roy and 'Female Marth' aka Lucina, Marth's blade is the strongest at the tip, Roy's is the strongest at the base and Lucina's is equal across her whole sword. So now Marth has a clone and a semi-clone version of himself.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#4New Post! Oct 11, 2015 @ 02:15:06
The Character Ballot for Smash 4 has ended, so if you wanted to suggest a new character, you missed out. I was meaning to post a link to the ballot before, but I forgot... I'm sorry.

Who do you wanna see as a new character?
fieldp12 On December 03, 2015
Troll

High Point, Connecticut
#5New Post! Dec 03, 2015 @ 19:39:38
This is awesome!
Funky-Footed Skunk

#6New Post! Dec 03, 2015 @ 20:12:04
WTF? Really?! Cloud from Final Fantasy 7 is going to be a playable character now?! Seriously?! I mean, it's not that I don't think he'll be a good fit, but....... Wow, I just wasn't expecting that. I for sure thought it was a hoax.

Smash Bros. DLC
SimonRogers On December 15, 2015
Troll

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 15, 2015 @ 12:24:35
damn this was a game and a half!
Funky-Footed Skunk

#8New Post! Dec 16, 2015 @ 00:26:48
The Final Wave of DLC Is UPON US!!!

Cloud is available for download NOW and the two new playable characters will be ready February 16th 2016. And who exactly are the new characters going to be? Well first off... Here's Cloud's trailer that I meant to put up before, but forgot to.

And now the other two. First up is a character I know nothing about and I'm not really too excited for... Introducing....

Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates/Conquest, something or other...

It's not that the character doesn't look cool or nothing, and the whole dragon powers/transformed state thing doesn't look rad as hell, but... isn't there enough Fire Emblem characters? I mean, we're up to 6 now and 3 of them are practically identical. And now poor Ike is being completely outshone. Nobody uses Ike anymore! He used to be the strong guy ever since Roy left. Well, Roy's back as DLC and he's still as fast and strong as he ever was while Ike is just strong. Robin's got that magic edge to make him/her (you can change genders) different than just another sword person and with this new character, with what looks to be a chainsaw sword, dragon powers and ridiculous reach, I'm pretty sure Ike's dropped to the very bottom of the Fire Emblem hierarchy.

I also just found out that Corrin's a character from a game that hasn't even come out yet. Da f***?! Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman would've been a better choice.

Alright. Onto a character from a game I do know that I'm actually excited about! I'm talkin' about the 'Slayer of Angels,' I'm talkin' the keeper of the Eyes of the World, I'm talkin' about the Umbra witch who pulls the 'sexy librarian' look off so well. The one, the only...

BAYONETTA!!! from... Bayonetta!

I'm pleasantly surprised. I was thinking "there's no way they'd have Bayonetta in Smash. She's too violent. Her game literally involves ripping off angel's limbs and beating them to death with them." But Nintendo was able to tone it down just enough so she could join the Brawl. And I love how it's Pit who encounters her. Fits so well with her whole 'hunting angels' thing. Her fighting style looks sick! She puts her four guns (that's right, 4! One in each hand and one strapped to the back of each heel), to perfect use and all of her attacks look to be ripped straight from one of her numerous combos in-game. And I gotta say, it's actually refreshing to see a gun-based character to contrast with the however many sword users there are now in Smash. She can use the Penumbral Arts to summon demon limbs, she can sustain weak fire at enemies that do no knockback and low damage (great for racking up percentages) and she can even use f***ing Witch Time to slow down opponents! I mean, that alone almost makes her a broken character, but I'm sure it's a counter move assigned to a certain button and not actually triggered on a perfect dodge, otherwise it'd be too cheap.

Anywho, I'm currently downloading Cloud as we speak and I'll probably be on later to tell you guys how awesome he is. This is the latest update Smash-wise. I'll probably give my next update when the other two characters come out.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#9New Post! Apr 19, 2016 @ 20:00:25
Damn. Almost forgot about this thread.

So I've gotten the chance to play as the last three DLC characters and I gotta say... Damn! They got all super-flashy with the attacks for these guys. I mean sure, Mario can conjure a fireball in his hand for his side smash and Megaman has his charged Mega Buster for his smash, but... Corrin partially transforms into a dragon and Bayonetta can conjure up large demon limbs, so... my money's on them. Anywho, here's my list from least to most favourite and a brief synopsis of each character. Starting with...

Corrin. He/she (can swap gender as well as colours, like Wii Fit Trainers and the Robins) is by far the character I give the least s*** about. For one, they're from a game that wasn't even out at the time when they were made playable, for two they're yet another Fire Emblem anime-looking biznitch, making Fire Emblem tied for 2nd for most represented characters in the roster (tied with Pokemon) at 6 despite being from a not-so widely known game series that wasn't even originally released in North America until I think the Game Boy Advance one. And three, there are so many much cooler characters from other series that they could've put in. A lot of people wanted to see Shovel Knight, or Shantae, or someone like that, but instead we got another Fire Emblem character.

Gameplay-wise, they're okay. Not only do they have a sword (not having a sword in Fire Emblem is punishable by death, apparently), but a lance as well, which works pretty well. It emphasizes hitting your opponent with the tip by virtue of being a lance and it can actually stick into things with it and then do a little thrust or spin kick. Pretty neat. Oh, and they're apparently half-dragon or something because some of their moves have them transform into a little mini-dragon that kinda looks like Arceus from Pokemon. They've got a paralyzing water projectile, wings, a dragon stomp Counter, horns and other dragon things, but they still play like most other Fire Emblem characters so, meh out of 5.

Corrin does get bonus points for being barefoot however. It's kinda a weird design choice, but I love me some feets, so yay for that.

Bayonetta!!! Bayonetta is the middle child of the three, although technically she'd be the oldest, as her game is rated M for Mature. She plays just like she does in her home game, albeit with a much smaller moveset and can rack up a lot of chip damage if your foes aren't paying attention. As I predicted, Witch Time was turned into a counter move as to not make it too cheap, but it's still insanely good. She plays a lot like Sheik and Zero Suit Samus with fast attacks, quick reflexes and strong air attacks, with the exception of her air game being that much more deadly as she can perform crazy chain attacks in the air. Her Side-A in the air is one of the best and easiest examples as it can chain into three hits if the first connects and you keep pressing A. She can also use her Up-B up to 2 times if you do the input after jumping and holding B to get the extra height, then jumping again and doing the same. Her Side-B in the air can also be used twice if you hit someone on the first one (shields count), so you can usually recover from afar if your foe pursues you off the platform. And her Final Smash... Oh my God, her Final Smash...

She activates Witch Time for the whole field, slowing all of the other competitors down and a small clock appears. It slowly fills up about halfway on its own, but you have to run around and attack people to fill up faster, with stronger attacks filling the gauge more. If you manage to fill it up fully, a cutscene triggers, affecting anyone who's been launched or stunned during Witch Time (if someone recovers from being hit before it triggers, they aren't affected). Bayonetta uses the Sinistral Arts to so summon Gomorrah, a giant demonic snake that starts chomping on the poor souls trapped in the attack. The gauge reappears and just like in Bayonetta's game, you gotta mash the attack button to pump up the power of the attack. After four bites, Gomorrah roars, doing one last hit and sending your foes flying. Well, unless they were unfortunate enough to have 100%+ before/during Gomorrah's attack. Then they get instantly KO'ed!!!

I love how well Bayonetta plays, but there's one character I love even more. And considering he's from one of my most favourite games of all time, it's no surprise. Ladies and gentlemen, all the way from Midgar, Mr. Spiky Head himself....

Cloud!!! What can I say? Cloud is simply the best DLC character out of the entire bunch. End of story. I don't mean to take away from the other characters, but it's just so unexpected that he'd be chosen to be in Smash Bros., especially considering he's from Playstation. He's probably the most famous and well-known Final Fantasy character out of anyone, but still... Damn!

All of Cloud's B moves are Limit Breaks from his original game. He can charge his own Limit Gauge to make the attacks more powerful. He's got an insanely strong, crazy fast, three hit slash for his Side Smash, but if it's countered, it's like nothing because the first hit is really weak. Ergo, you don't have to fret so much against counter spammers. He's quick on his feet, has incredible reach in air or on ground, he can Meteor Smash, he can walljump, his Stage is phenomenal, his Final Smash is the tits... but best of all... When he wins, the regular fanfare is replaced by the victory music from Final Fantasy 7! It doesn't seem like much, but it blew my mind when I first realized it. They went all out to make Cloud feel welcome and he's showing his appreciation by being one of the most played characters both online and off. It's just... wow...

So that's the last batch of characters. Nintendo made it very clear that the 6th Wave is going to be the last wave of DLC for Smash 4, but there are rumors that there could be a 'new' Smash coming out when Nintendo launches their new console. I hope they don't release a whole new one so early. It's only been about 2 years since it was released. There was a huge gap between Melee and Brawl, so there's no reason why there shouldn't be some time until a new one comes out.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Apr 20, 2016 @ 23:50:34
If Nintendo can ever get their act together on mobile gaming and release this one on that platform, I'm on board. I don't play enough anymore to make buying a console and $59.99 per game and/or peripheral worth it. Sold my PS4 because of it.
Funky-Footed Skunk

#11New Post! Jun 10, 2016 @ 05:21:16
@Leon Said

If Nintendo can ever get their act together on mobile gaming and release this one on that platform, I'm on board. I don't play enough anymore to make buying a console and $59.99 per game and/or peripheral worth it. Sold my PS4 because of it.

Yeah, the current consoles are just designed to suck up your money with their expensive games that are massive to download so if you don't buy the discs, you can have maybe 5 downloaded games if that at any given time.

You should maybe give Steam a try. They have a lot of the same console games, plus tons of crazy PC only games like Undertale, Garry's Mod, The Stanley Parable, Who's Your Daddy, Nuclear Throne, Duck Game and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes to name just a very, very small number.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs