The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Performing Arts

Is Theatre a Dying Art?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Tigerstar7 On February 03, 2024

#1New Post! Mar 22, 2015 @ 00:25:34
Do you think the Theatre is a dying art as a means of entertainment?
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#2New Post! Jun 02, 2015 @ 00:24:30
Personally i dont. Certainly theatre is not as popular as it has been in the past but from local productions in small towns to the big productions in major cities theatre is still alive. I hope this will always be the case.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#3New Post! Jun 02, 2015 @ 08:59:11
(I can only speak for Sheffield, Chesterfield and Nottingham)

I do not think that theater is dying, I just think its not as common as it once was. Especially with TV, Cinema and Youtube.

The two cities (Sheffield and Nottingham) and town (Chesterfield) that I have mentioned all have very successful Theaters, Nottingham especially. They attract pretty large crowds and seem very popular.

Secondly, on quite a few occasions in Sheffield, I have been stopped on the streets and given a flyer (pamphlet in yank speak I think), advertising a student Theater production and been asked if I am able to attend.

Finally, I do an acting class on a Tuesday Night. Whilst this is for screen acting and not Theater, when using Google to find possible classes, there were a fair few Theater classes that also appeared.
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#5New Post! Jun 02, 2015 @ 14:08:22
@NNewt84 Said

Well, you're not too far off. Last month, I saw an amateur production of Cats, and next week I'll be performing in an opera that was written just last year, which I've been rehearsing for about three months now.

Good to hear. Saw a local production last year. Quite an enjoyable night.
Robh On June 30, 2015

Exeter, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 07:12:58
Theatre will never die
It is a distillation of life, a concentration of all the best and the worst. It helps us see our dreams and confront our fears
Life without the dull bits!
chaski On about 21 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! Jun 30, 2015 @ 11:30:31
Not even close to a dying art.

Theatre is everywhere, from local schools to Broadway.

Many movie stars while seemingly taking sabbaticals from the big screen, are perform on stage.
Tigerstar7 On February 03, 2024

#8New Post! Jan 29, 2020 @ 22:50:51
Not sure why I never responded back in this thread, but having seen the rise of Hamilton, you're definitely right that it's not dead yet. That's definitely for the better too.
Mensy On April 24, 2020

, Israel
#9New Post! Apr 22, 2020 @ 16:27:52
https://dausel.co/m7kslp

Emergency call of Hungarian Performing Arts
Darkman666 On about 5 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Apr 22, 2020 @ 16:50:54
i think shakespeare is only plays that or excellent choice for movie adaptations. d***erson's christmas carol is one of the best example entertainment that nobody get tired of seen every year, weather on stage, tv, or at the movies.

live stage is something, filming on tv or a movie, never really truly capture with an audience.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#11New Post! Apr 23, 2020 @ 01:26:01
@darkman666 Said

i think shakespeare is only plays that or excellent choice for movie adaptations. d***erson's christmas carol is one of the best example entertainment that nobody get tired of seen every year, weather on stage, tv, or at the movies.

live stage is something, filming on tv or a movie, never really truly capture with an audience.

I tend to get distracted from the performance by the technical / artistic presentation of the sets.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! Apr 23, 2020 @ 03:06:46
@mrmhead Said

I tend to get distracted from the performance by the technical / artistic presentation of the sets.

most of time, i watched in the past, my mom taught me with quality, when i was teenager on tv. is with psb channel watching masterpiece theater. i normally watch live audience like plays on psb.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#13New Post! Apr 23, 2020 @ 03:09:42
@mrmhead Said

@darkman666 Said

most of time, i watched in the past, my mom taught me with quality, when i was teenager on tv. is with psb channel watching masterpiece theater. i normally watch live audience like plays on psb.

when i watch a play on tv , i do get distract by technical/ artistic performance, because live not film. there is a difference in watching the two.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs