Hair Color

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#1New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 00:08:56
I have the overwhelming urge to dye my hair some unnatural shade of red-violet again. Probably highlights rather than full color because my hair grows so fast and the roots thing bugs the heck out of me.

Life is a little crazy and I'm just wondering if I'm fascinated by because i want purple highlights or if it just a bad life decision. Also I really need to decide what I want it to look like. Like regular highlights, chunky highlights, ombre, etc.

My hair is really dark, not a black though, just really, really, dark brown that reads black. It won't accept color on top, so there has to be some bleach or lightening involved, so best case scenario is the highlights are going to mostly only show in sunlight or under direct light.

Yeah, so has anyone else done the coloring thing? Did you consider it for a long time or just do it?
chaski On about 8 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 00:34:30
I have but one thing to say...

restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#3New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 00:39:22
@DiscordTiger Said

I have the overwhelming urge to dye my hair some unnatural shade of red-violet again. Probably highlights rather than full color because my hair grows so fast and the roots thing bugs the heck out of me.

Life is a little crazy and I'm just wondering if I'm fascinated by because i want purple highlights or if it just a bad life decision. Also I really need to decide what I want it to look like. Like regular highlights, chunky highlights, ombre, etc.

My hair is dark, not a black though, just really, really, dark brown that reads black. It won't accept color on top, so there has to be some bleach or lightening involved, so best case scenario is the highlights are going to mostly only show in sunlight or under direct light.

Yeah, so has anyone else done the coloring thing? Did you consider it for a long time or just do it?

If you can dye it to these colors then I would think you can dye it back to the original colors or close to it. I say go for it.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#4New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 00:46:52
@restoreone Said

If you can dye it to these colors then I would think you can dye it back to the original colors or close to it. I say go for it.

Bwahahahahahahah

Yeah, hon, no dying back to my original color. My hair is weird. It is not a real color shade they can duplicate in a bottle and is a mix of brown and red strands, but not enough red to be like a red-head, just a strand here and there that will bleach out in the sun or chlorine. Which is not bad except I live the lifestyle of a vampire that doesn't like the water. So it all looks black, until you put it next to black.

Though it does grow fast, and I have a whole lot of it.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#5New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 00:56:44
@DiscordTiger Said

Bwahahahahahahah

Yeah, hon, no dying back to my original color. My hair is weird. It is not a real color shade they can duplicate in a bottle and is a mix of brown and red strands, but not enough red to be like a red-head, just a strand here and there that will bleach out in the sun or chlorine. Which is not bad except I live the lifestyle of a vampire that doesn't like the water. So it all looks black, until you put it next to black.

Though it does grow fast, and I have a whole lot of it.

and that is why you put this in Women talk
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#6New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 01:05:46
@restoreone Said

and that is why you put this in Women talk

possibly.

But, with the unnatural colors, sometimes gender doesn't matter so much.
essenceofjme On March 05, 2024
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#7New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 02:47:49
Colored dark hair is hard to lift without using bleach. If you dyed your hair dark you could consider lifting it with something like blueflash and a 20 or 30 volume developer,depending how much lighter you want it. After lightening I usually give my hair a rest.

When dyeing my advice would be to use the color of your choice with a 20 volume developer to deposit the color. Highlights with a 10 volume, if you want them. Again they're two separate steps, so you'd have to color, wash, dry, and then start with highlights. It's a lengthy process and I hated every minute of having undone hair.

Ofcourse, I'm not a professional this is just my advice based on what I've experienced.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#8New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 05:16:13
@essenceofjme Said

Colored dark hair is hard to lift without using bleach. If you dyed your hair dark you could consider lifting it with something like blueflash and a 20 or 30 volume developer,depending how much lighter you want it. After lightening I usually give my hair a rest.

When dyeing my advice would be to use the color of your choice with a 20 volume developer to deposit the color. Highlights with a 10 volume, if you want them. Again they're two separate steps, so you'd have to color, wash, dry, and then start with highlights. It's a lengthy process and I hated every minute of having undone hair.

Ofcourse, I'm not a professional this is just my advice based on what I've experienced.

Yeah, I've done it twice before, both times I went to a professional (different ones) The first time she bleached out highlights then re-dyed everything red. like a normal red shade though. I was not a fan in the sense that it was hard on my scalp and hair.

The second time, the other person (my usual hairstylist) mixed in some stuff with the red color and then did highlights and i had to sit under the heat lamp for what felt like forever. I'd go back to her this time, just pick a more purple color than red.

Every time I tried it at home it failed, both because my hair is dark, and because I got more dye allover the bathroom than in my hair.

I should probably switch shampoos too. I was thinking of Daddy-o by lush, since the purple/reds fade so soon. I wish that I could not wash my hair everyday, that would help, but it just icks me out to not wash and the whole irritated scalp thing.
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#9New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 05:32:41
@DiscordTiger Said

Yeah, I've done it twice before, both times I went to a professional (different ones) The first time she bleached out highlights then re-dyed everything red. like a normal red shade though. I was not a fan in the sense that it was hard on my scalp and hair.

The second time, the other person (my usual hairstylist) mixed in some stuff with the red color and then did highlights and i had to sit under the heat lamp for what felt like forever. I'd go back to her this time, just pick a more purple color than red.

Every time I tried it at home it failed, both because my hair is dark, and because I got more dye allover the bathroom than in my hair.

I should probably switch shampoos too. I was thinking of Daddy-o by lush, since the purple/reds fade so soon. I wish that I could not wash my hair everyday, that would help, but it just icks me out to not wash and the whole irritated scalp thing.

I haven't tried shampoos from Lush, although I've heard good things! I just stick to CHI as my normal shampoo and conditioner...even though it smells like dude I like the way it makes my hair feel. The s***ty part is that after bleaching I had to cut off about 3 inches because I couldn't stand my ends...so yeah, bleaching on your own comes with a risk. I went from black to deep burgundy to light brown over a span of two months and my hair is about done with me. If I could, I would have thought it over a little longer and probably decide against re-coloring so soon. But like you said, red/purple washes out fast and I disliked the color I was getting after 3 weeks.

Hair dye all over the bathroom. God. This. I stained the corner of a wooden cabinet and still haven't been able to get that sucker out.

I get the 2/3 day hair grossing you out, I'm the same and people tell me to use dry shampoo. I just tell them that it's just adding more s*** to your hair, it's not getting clean!
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#10New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 06:48:02
@essenceofjme Said

I haven't tried shampoos from Lush, although I've heard good things! I just stick to CHI as my normal shampoo and conditioner...even though it smells like dude I like the way it makes my hair feel. The s***ty part is that after bleaching I had to cut off about 3 inches because I couldn't stand my ends...so yeah, bleaching on your own comes with a risk. I went from black to deep burgundy to light brown over a span of two months and my hair is about done with me. If I could, I would have thought it over a little longer and probably decide against re-coloring so soon. But like you said, red/purple washes out fast and I disliked the color I was getting after 3 weeks.

Hair dye all over the bathroom. God. This. I stained the corner of a wooden cabinet and still haven't been able to get that sucker out.

I get the 2/3 day hair grossing you out, I'm the same and people tell me to use dry shampoo. I just tell them that it's just adding more s*** to your hair, it's not getting clean!

I know and it just looks even worse with the dry shampoo! I know everyone says your bit "supposed" to wash every day. And my mom doesn't (she was a beautician back in the day). But her hair never got as oily as mine.

I have to be careful with hair products. I'm allergic to lanolin but its supposedly one of the best things for hair. So I switched to the vegan lush stuff because it was easier than remembering all the chemical names for sheep sweat.

I'm showing roots in like 2.5 weeks so even with the highlights the most I can stretch out re-dying is 4 weeks and by then the reds were brassy.

So yeah. The colored hair is more of a hassle but at the same time it's one of the few things I'd have control over so it appealing. And I really really like purple. My hair is at the longer length so if I have to cut it, I might be able to deal. I don't like short hair on me, my mom would be giddy though she's always after me with scissors.
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#11New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 07:27:37
@DiscordTiger Said

I know and it just looks even worse with the dry shampoo! I know everyone says your bit "supposed" to wash every day. And my mom doesn't (she was a beautician back in the day). But her hair never got as oily as mine.

I have to be careful with hair products. I'm allergic to lanolin but its supposedly one of the best things for hair. So I switched to the vegan lush stuff because it was easier than remembering all the chemical names for sheep sweat.

I'm showing roots in like 2.5 weeks so even with the highlights the most I can stretch out re-dying is 4 weeks and by then the reds were brassy.

So yeah. The colored hair is more of a hassle but at the same time it's one of the few things I'd have control over so it appealing. And I really really like purple. My hair is at the longer length so if I have to cut it, I might be able to deal. I don't like short hair on me, my mom would be giddy though she's always after me with scissors.

Holy crap, your hair grows fast! If that's the case I'd probably go with ombre with more of a natural side the closer you get to your roots, that way when it does grow out it should still look good.

I was used to washing my hair every 1-2 days but when I moved the dry weather took its toll and I can go about 2 1/2 days before I feel like I could cut someone just to wash my hair.

I have to find a picture of that burgundy hair I had. I was mad it didn't develop the way I wanted...there's a picture somewhere. I was desperate enough to try anything, I bought that color-remover treatment but decided against it and just went straight to bleaching (because that was smart .)
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#12New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 07:34:42
I have curl in my hair but live in the desert so it's poofy. It poofs out instead of looking longer but I'm blinded by my bangs.

The one time I was in Florida after the rain it was like Shirley temple ringlets.

Ombré can look really nice so it's tempting. I'll probably need to decide soon since I'm getting near time for a cut and its easier to do them both at the same time.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#13New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 07:44:12
@DiscordTiger Said

My hair is really dark, not a black though, just really, really, dark brown that reads black. It won't accept color on top, so there has to be some bleach or lightening involved, so best case scenario is the highlights are going to mostly only show in sunlight or under direct light.

This is coming from a Guy that has had some schooling in hair care. Make sure your hair is clean and healthy. Check your shampoo for any chemicals that may damage your hair. Same with your conditioner. Wash/condition it everyday. Keep it cut, so low maintenance is the key. There is nothing more attractive on a Female than clean / styled hair.

J.R.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#14New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 07:50:22
bread ends

f***ing, Morocco
#15New Post! Oct 30, 2014 @ 07:51:10
@DiscordTiger Said

I have curl in my hair but live in the desert so it's poofy. It poofs out instead of looking longer but I'm blinded by my bangs.

The one time I was in Florida after the rain it was like Shirley temple ringlets.

Ombré can look really nice so it's tempting. I'll probably need to decide soon since I'm getting near time for a cut and its easier to do them both at the same time.

Agree! I've battled the poof. My hair tends to be a lot more frizzy in humid climates though and now that I am in the desert it's dry as f***. There is no winning.

Hope you get something you're happy with. Let us know what you decide!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs