Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#46New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 15:17:49
@chaski Said

2. electronic/computer scanning of networks, which (in the USA) is almost never a crime;

Im sure we have all booted up Wireshark and scanned a network out of interest. OK, maybe not all. But all those who are geekily orientated. Without intention of actually accessing the network.

Then you have things like Wi-Spy. I have done wireless site surveys for work reasons, I have picked up other networks, but Im not breaking any laws.

Quote:

3. electronic/computer probing of networks, which (in the USA) is almost never a Federal crime;

No comment

Quote:

Note: Even though governments (for example the USA's Department of Defense) frequently call #2 and #3 "attacks" they are not "attacks" and are almost never illegal.

I wouldn't call it an attack. But if I were accused of acyber attack and there was evidence of me probing out possible vulnerabilities (ie logs) then it could be used as evidence.

Quote:

4. and then there is hacking, which (in the USA) is a crime... BUT, depending on the circumstances, might not reach the threshold for prosecution.

This depends on what your definition of hacking is. Im going to stick with "unauthorised access" here, as White Hats although they hack, it is normally part of a security audit and they have permission to do so.

Quote:

5. There are many affiliated crimes (again in the USA) like collecting passwords, pin numbers, user IDs, names, etc.... these are often done by bots and are criminal in nature... depending on the exact circumstances, and where the data was obtained.

Yeah this isn't necessarily hacking but are normally techniques used by hackers.

Interesting point. Botnets and malicious software. It is only criminal once it is deployed (viruses) and used (Botnets). However to the best of my knowledge it is not illegal to actually posess a copy of the code itself. Same with a lot of tools used by Hackers. If these tools and software were made illegal, then how would we defend and test our systems against attacks??

Quote:

6. And finally, the physical theft of data that does not use the internet in anyway (like what wikileaks typically does) ... which are not hacking.

Yeah I agree Wikileaks do not technically do anything wrong. But the act of aqquiring the information is still against the law. To me its still the same as someone going to my bank getting my details and getting someone to publish them on the web, but that's my view.

I know that when donations to wikileaks was stopped, the banks in question and paypal got a lot of attacks by Anonymous. Like I have said before, I think Anonymous have talented people, but messing with peoples businesses (and therefore livlihoods) and messing with peoples banks is something I disagree with especially when it comes down to defence of publishing stolen data and what I would personally call Treason.
chaski On about 4 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#47New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 17:18:36
@Hypnotica Said

I wouldn't call it an attack. But if I were accused of acyber attack and there was evidence of me probing out possible vulnerabilities (ie logs) then it could be used as evidence.

Probing a system would not get you the logs. You would have to actually hack into the system to get is logs, OR somehow install a bot that pulled the logs for you, which would ultimately be the same thing as hacking in.

As a comparison: probing a system is somewhat like going up to a house and checking to see its the doors and windows are locked, but not actually entering the house. While you might piss someone off if you did that, it is not the same as actually breaking into the house and taking something out of the house.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#48New Post! Aug 05, 2014 @ 17:52:52
@chaski Said

Probing a system would not get you the logs. You would have to actually hack into the system to get is logs, OR somehow install a bot that pulled the logs for you, which would ultimately be the same thing as hacking in.

As a comparison: probing a system is somewhat like going up to a house and checking to see its the doors and windows are locked, but not actually entering the house. While you might piss someone off if you did that, it is not the same as actually breaking into the house and taking something out of the house.

I didnt mean get the logs off a computer. Sorry I should of been clearer. If I were to write my own probing software to check for OS and vulnerabilities. I would have it search a large range of IP addresses and then create an output log.

I know what you are saying and I agree.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#49New Post! Aug 06, 2014 @ 22:54:36
@Hypnotica Said

The truth of the matter is that it is easier said than done.
Sure Script Kiddies can probably be traced more easily, but they dont really know what they are doing, they just download files and run them, to be fair some of the software avaliable online for free is quite effective.

But if you get a Grey Hat or Black Hat who knows what they are doing

It would be impossible to stop everyone but obviously the less the better hence more of a crackdown.

@Hypnotica Said

Ironically, a lot of the skilled White Hats used to be Black Hats.

Bill Gates...

Hmm...actually he's more of a Shark Hat now.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#50New Post! Aug 06, 2014 @ 22:59:15
Aside from just simply being held back by the morals and principles of the activity the other reason I never chose to learn how to hack is that the activity is, more or less, 'Stalking.'

I would guarantee that almost all of those finding themselves hacked are being hacked by someone who has an unhealthy sexual/romantic obsession in their target.

Under your desktop wallpaper resides a shell and on the other side of that shell is someone who desperately fantasizes about what your a*****e tastes like.
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#51New Post! Apr 23, 2018 @ 04:45:35
Watch Snowdon if you want to see how bad this can be!
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Apr 23, 2018 @ 09:12:44
I have nothing to hide therefore nothing to fear. If they hack my bank account i'm sure they'd take pity and deposit some cash for me, there are homeless folk richer than me.

As for wikileaks I think if they post info that could compromise the operational security of the armed forces then they should be shut down, there are people out there risking their lives to keep us safe. Yep sure they are probably doing some shady s*** that might be illegal but chances are the people they are doing it to deserve it. If you fly with the crows you get shot with the crows.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#53New Post! Apr 23, 2018 @ 15:27:01
wilki remind of encyclopedia that give information, whether is real of not, something that take risks in reading.

whether wilki is give your wrong information, why has this website been on so long? even, wilki obtain information from the government, their fault should keep my eyes on wiki. people read the website.

even, Russia are control some information on wiki, how did they do or how they are doing? why wilki not sopping or get a profit some how?

can tell read stuff off wilki, who putting information on it. if help me , i'm ok with it.

youtube, and facebook, how much control really have over people?

facebook is letting be have a social life, and back when, Russia didn't want their people have nothing, only certain people to have social gather. even, lower than them, didn't have social gather with get arrest.

worst case scenario for facebook, people that enjoys facebook are off the streets.

youtube might more threat than anything, because propaganda would spread. could image what propaganda that hilter done in ww2, if facebook invented then?
crusty_fart On May 27, 2022

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Oct 18, 2019 @ 14:09:15
@Komentenmelodie Said

Watch Snowdon if you want to see how bad this can be!

Why the hell is that c**t made a ehero for criminal activities.

Top Secret means Top Secret not put it online and get people killed.

Dude should be hung and quartered.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs