IRS center that reviews info from illegal workers still plagued by "chaos"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#2New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 17:12:16
@white_swan53 Said

Even after being informed in Spanish ,that it is illegal to claim family members who live in other countries on their tax return to get child tax credits, many undocumented workers decided to do just that anyway. Their attitude being ''Why not? I have nothing to lose.'

It took me a bit to realize that "13 Investigates" was an entity.

It is possible that the information is contained somewhere in your links but ...

I don't understand how they were able to claim the nieces and nephews in Mexico. Don't they have to have ITINs or some identifying number to match up with the child? I have to provide my daughters SSN to get that Tax Credit.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 21:44:21
@someone_else_again Said

It took me a bit to realize that "13 Investigates" was an entity.

It is possible that the information is contained somewhere in your links but ...

I don't understand how they were able to claim the nieces and nephews in Mexico. Don't they have to have ITINs or some identifying number to match up with the child? I have to provide my daughters SSN to get that Tax Credit.

The way I understand it is that the undocumented workers didn't have to have any verifacation such as SS# or birth certificates or school records et,,, for the kids .They just put down names and how they were related , then just gave one address for everyone listed. One of the worker that the reported talked at his residence which is a RV type camp trailer had over 20 people listed as living there on his return. When he was ask about that , he said he had been told it was okay to do it. I never found any thing about who it was that had told him it was okay.

Quote:
An undocumented worker in southern Indiana told 13 Investigates just how easy it truly is.

He said four other illegal immigrants file tax returns using his address, even though none of them actually lives there. And he said this year, those four workers filed tax returns claiming 20 children live inside his small trailer home. As a result, the IRS sent the illegal immigrants tax refunds totaling more than $29,000.

But none of the 20 children listed as dependents on the tax returns lives in Indiana – or even in the United States.

"No, they don't live here," admitted the undocumented worker, who lives with his young daughter. "The other kids are in their country of origin, which is Mexico."

The IRS granted tax credits for the 20 children anyway, even though the agency's own policy states they are not eligible. (Children are eligible for additional child tax credits only if they are US citizens or minor resident aliens who live in the US with a tax filer for more than half of a calendar year.)

According to WTHR's whistleblower, cases like this one are commonplace because the IRS does little to verify the eligibility of both the undocumented workers filing for additional child tax credits and the dependents listed on their tax returns

https://www.wthr.com/story/17861738/will-lawmakers-act-to-close-tax-loophole-for-illegal-immigrants
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#4New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 21:46:35
@white_swan53 Said

The way I understand it is that the undocumented workers didn't have to have any verifacation such as SS# or birth certificates or school records et,,, for the kids .They just put down names and how they were related , then just gave one address for everyone listed. One of the worker that the reported talked at his residence which is a RV type camp trailer had over 20 people listed as living there on his return. When he was ask about that , he said he had been told it was okay to do it. I never found any thing about who it was that had told him it was okay.

https://www.wthr.com/story/17861738/will-lawmakers-act-to-close-tax-loophole-for-illegal-immigrants

Yeah...I'd read that part. It's the part where the IRS accepts it despite that part being missing that gets me I guess.

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 21:48:32
Quote:
Regardless of a worker's immigration status, ITINs are granted by the IRS to allow illegal immigrants to pay taxes on income they earn in the United States.

But 13 Investigates discovered the IRS granted ITINs to millions of undocumented workers who presented bogus identification papers for themselves and for family members who either never lived in the United States or who did not exist at all. And instead of using the identification numbers to pay taxes, many of the workers used their ITINs to fraudulently obtain tax credits for young relatives living in other countries – costing the U.S. Treasury billions of dollars each year.

Antelis and other workers at the Austin processing center told 13 Investigates they had detected massive fraud on ITIN applications for years and repeatedly complained to IRS management. But each time they complained, IRS bosses told them to look the other way.

A year after WTHR aired its original investigation, senior investigative reporter Bob Segall returned to Austin to again meet with Antelis and other IRS tax examiners who work on the front lines at the ITIN Processing Center. Most of the workers are not impressed with the changes implemented by the IRS.

"It's still a big scam going on," Antelis said from his living room. "It's still very easy to rip us off."

https://www.wthr.com/story/22906447/2013/07/23/irs-center-that-reviews-info-from-illegal-workers-still-plagued-by-chaos

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Jun 06, 2014 @ 22:05:24
@someone_else_again Said

Yeah...I'd read that part. It's the part where the IRS accepts it despite that part being missing that gets me I guess.

If I hadn't found it on www.factcheck.org I would have blown it off as just some more of the 'righty -lefty' political BS .
When my kids were home and I could claim them as dependents , I had to have SS# for each one and promise on my life that yes they were real kids and yes they living with me .
You can bet I never seen no return that would have compared to what the undocumented workers get for three of the 20 odd kids they list.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs