Politics

Mom Banned From Ranting About Kids on Facebook

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! May 20, 2014 @ 06:14:18
Quote:
In 2012, she started using a code word ("Camelot" ) to talk about her family and the judge found that she had violated her probation; she appealed, arguing that the ban violated her rights to free speech and due process.

But a state appeals court last week said that since the ban is specific and does not impose upon her blogging or posting about other issues, it is not unconstitutional

https://www.newser.com/story/187080/mom-banned-from-ranting-about-kids-on-facebook.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_lifestyle

Since when is our Freedom of Speech limited to certin subjects ?
Don't take me wrong, as a mom I totally disagree with a mom 'bad mouthing' her own childen in public, either on the web or on the corner of her street.
My question is , can a court tell her what she can or can not blog about ? Or what topics she may or may not post about on a social net work ?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! May 20, 2014 @ 10:21:03
It says a condition of her probation was that she not mention her ex-husband or children on Facebook after trying to kidnap them to Canada...which I'm guessing was added as a means of curtailing harassment. If her continual mention of them on Facebook was becoming harassing then yes, the court does have the right to tell her to stop.

I don't know that that's what actually happened but it seems so. I'd imagine the court would be pretty reluctant to intercede in her social networking if it were anything otherwise.

I think this is, on the other side of the coin, a pretty sad picture of how things like Facebook have become so prevalent in our lives. People don't just f***ing talk to each other anymore. You ask someone a question they actually know the answer to and the answer you get is "Can't you just Google it?" and suddenly you're the a*****e for wanting to have an actual conversation and learn from someone else.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! May 20, 2014 @ 13:30:18
@Eaglebauer Said

It says a condition of her probation was that she not mention her ex-husband or children on Facebook after trying to kidnap them to Canada...which I'm guessing was added as a means of curtailing harassment. If her continual mention of them on Facebook was becoming harassing then yes, the court does have the right to tell her to stop.

I don't know that that's what actually happened but it seems so. I'd imagine the court would be pretty reluctant to intercede in her social networking if it were anything otherwise.

I think this is, on the other side of the coin, a pretty sad picture of how things like Facebook have become so prevalent in our lives. People don't just f***ing talk to each other anymore. You ask someone a question they actually know the answer to and the answer you get is "Can't you just Google it?" and suddenly you're the a*****e for wanting to have an actual conversation and learn from someone else.

I am totally amazed at some of the personal information some people post on Facebook.
And , two of my nieces and a nephew are at the top of that list of 'some people' I'm talking abut. I can't count the number of times I have spoken to them about how putting photo's and private info like names ,birth dates, names of schools, etc... of their kids on there , just isn't right. They just laugh at me like I'm being an old 'stuck in a rut' auntie.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs