Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Are we in danger my ex partner has been diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
scardycat On May 17, 2014

, Australia
#1New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 07:09:14
Ive just found out my partner of 17yrs on and off has be told by his doctors he has Schizoaffective Disorder. When he has his eposides he becomes verbally violent towards me and our teenage kids.
He saids things like God has sent him on missions and freely tells others hes the Agent Of Mercy. He aslo thinks he works for the police department. There are may other things he saids and does.
Last time was the worse 12 months ago (there have been many) and I had to have him removed from the house by the police. Since then he has been diagnosed and medicated by a medical professional of mental health.
We have been seeing each other and now hes back to what I call "normal" You know before he has his episodes
He wants to move back into the family home but Im a bit afraid that he may have another episode. If I say yes will we be in danger or if he has an episode hell be ok and it will go through its motions?
Maybe you can help or explain what may happen
I dont really understand much about Schizoaffective Disorder even though Ive done some searching about it
Thanks SC
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#2New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 08:27:49
I would say, for now, don't have him move back in. Especially if you are still worried about him having another episode.

How long has he been properly/fully medicated for? What does his doctor(s) say?

I am not really familiar with Schizoaffective Disorder. In my family, there is depression and Bi-Polar(my dad, and two siblings, also my paternal grandmother was Bi-Polar), so I have some understanding of your worry.

, Australia
#3New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 08:41:26
@Dark_Tink Said

I would say, for now, don't have him move back in. Especially if you are still worried about him having another episode.

How long has he been properly/fully medicated for? What does his doctor(s) say?

I am not really familiar with Schizoaffective Disorder. In my family, there is depression and Bi-Polar(my dad, and two siblings, also my paternal grandmother was Bi-Polar), so I have some understanding of your worry.

Because of this disorder he got into trouble with the police the courts ordered him to see a psychiatrist. This is how he became diagnosed
He was beem medicated now for nearly 12 months. His doctor said he will have this for the rest of his life and if he stays on his medication he is less likely to have a relapse.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#4New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 09:30:00
@scardycat Said

Because of this disorder he got into trouble with the police the courts ordered him to see a psychiatrist. This is how he became diagnosed
He was beem medicated now for nearly 12 months. His doctor said he will have this for the rest of his life and if he stays on his medication he is less likely to have a relapse.

Well it's good that he has been diagnosed and is medicated. That is the one thing about mental diseases, they don't go away.

Is he seeing a therapist/psychiatrist? My dad goes to his psychiatrist once a month. He also keeps a journal on how he is feeling daily, that helps him keep tract of his mood changes when he needs his medication dosage upped or lowered.

I remember how it was before my dad was diagnosed. It was hell at home. Apparently, there is about 6-8months during those 2years, that I have no memory of. I guess my mind still has it blocked due to the screaming/yelling/fighting/etc that went on between Mom and Dad.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:19:57
I would take this issue up with his doctor.

I'm nuts...but I'm rationally nuts. Even when I suspect that my conspiracy notions might prove true I don't respond to the world in...like...Roddy Piper

If for some reason the Bozo Nightmare is objectively real - You really, really, need to keep your cold and cool and appreciate concepts like "tact" and "strategy".

, Australia
#6New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:29:49
@Dark_Tink Said

Well it's good that he has been diagnosed and is medicated. That is the one thing about mental diseases, they don't go away.

Is he seeing a therapist/psychiatrist? My dad goes to his psychiatrist once a month. He also keeps a journal on how he is feeling daily, that helps him keep tract of his mood changes when he needs his medication dosage upped or lowered.

I remember how it was before my dad was diagnosed. It was hell at home. Apparently, there is about 6-8months during those 2years, that I have no memory of. I guess my mind still has it blocked due to the screaming/yelling/fighting/etc that went on between Mom and Dad.

yes a therapist every fortnight and he still keeps in touch with his psychiatrist. Yeah it was hell in our house too we would fight over nothing really. He would like bait me and the kids for a fight The fights would get out of control.(lots of swearing name calling pointing the finger) Then he would just get up and leave and live alone usually too a very isolated spot and no one but the family were to know where he was. He spoke a lot about missions that he had to do but would say he couldnt go into details.

, Australia
#7New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:35:59
@Electric_Banana Said

I would take this issue up with his doctor.

I'm nuts...but I'm rationally nuts. Even when I suspect that my conspiracy notions might prove true I don't respond to the world in...like...Roddy Piper

If for some reason the Bozo Nightmare is objectively real - You really, really, need to keep your cold and cool and appreciate concepts like "tact" and "strategy".

Im not sure if he would tell me due to the paient doctor confidentiality policy but I could ask

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:36:49
One bit of advice that I can offer from my own experiences: He's running scared - He's lost the plot and scrambling to find a new one. The panic and anxiety are confusing him as well as letting him escape his new found awareness that Reality can be lost in the first place.

Sadly this is mostly result of a society that holds back critical information for the sake of marketing it or using the ignorance of public at large to take advantage of them easier.

I think if anything your partner just needs to realize that he's one of many who life has lost credibility for (hence a lot of material in stories and music (especially nowadays)).

Some start going to church while others just shrug their shoulders and use their ideas for strange science fiction stories. In the end, however, hostile words and actions will definitely not help the situation in any way what so ever.

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:37:21
@scardycat Said

Im not sure if he would tell me due to the paient doctor confidentiality policy but I could ask

I mean go into the doctor with him.

, Australia
#10New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 10:39:46
@Electric_Banana Said

I mean go into the doctor with him.

yes if he agrees
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 13:26:56
@scardycat Said

He saids things like God has sent him on missions and freely tells others hes the Agent Of Mercy.

I view this as a "red flag".

In the world of Chaski, people should always run away from "red flags".
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#12New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 16:20:26
To put it as simply as possible, think of schizoaffective disorder as someone struggling with a depressive or bipolar episode (it could be either way) IN ADDITION to symptoms of schizophrenia (e.g., delusions, hallucinations, etc.).

I agree with EB's recommendation to visit your partner's treating provider with him and ask him re: your concerns.

Otherwise, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. If he's been violent w/ you and/or your children in the past, it's definitely possible that he could be violent again. Not everyone who is schizoaffective is also violent; but if they have been violent, they are more likely to repeat it. The nature of an individual's delusions, hallucinations, etc. (and how much these are under "control" ) can also contribute to this.

Furthermore, please keep in mind that meds are not magic pills. They can HELP. They are a TOOL for someone to help cope and to get them to a better quality of life, to help them function, etc. The best course of treatment is typically a combination of therapy and meds--and, even then, there are folks who stop taking their meds, don't take them consistently, etc. It can take time for some meds to ramp up in someone's system, so (again!) they're not magic pills. Someone doesn't wave a magic wand and go VOILA! All is better w/ the world. Those who think this way tend to be sorely disappointed and then become frustrated when they (or their loved ones) continue to experience difficulties.

PLEASE DO NOT base decisions on whether or not to stay w/ him upon a bunch of strangers on the 'net. Many people talk out of their ass, provide misinformation (not necessarily intentionally), or have their own distorted views of these things. You really should be asking your partner if it's okay to accompany him to his provider's office to ask these questions. Depending on the nature of your current relationship w/ your partner, you may want to ask him if he would be willing to sign a release of information form for his treating provider. This way, he is giving the office consent for them to exchange information w/ you without his presence (he can restrict/limit this as he chooses).

G'luck.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#13New Post! Apr 25, 2014 @ 21:05:25
Schizophrenia, Schizotypal and now Schizoaffective how many more disorders that has schizo at the front of it. Hate to think to mix Aspergers with Schizoaffective that would be inner torture.

What's next from that insane lunatic, thinking he is Jesus Christ or a end time prophet, to start a new cult we have too many of those groups now, these type of lunatics is how a cult is born with a mental illness. I'll say ditch this lunatic and find a new bf, ask him if he had any visions yet.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#14New Post! Apr 26, 2014 @ 13:33:57
@woodss Said

Schizophrenia, Schizotypal and now Schizoaffective how many more disorders that has schizo at the front of it. Hate to think to mix Aspergers with Schizoaffective that would be inner torture.

What's next from that insane lunatic, thinking he is Jesus Christ or a end time prophet, to start a new cult we have too many of those groups now, these type of lunatics is how a cult is born with a mental illness. I'll say ditch this lunatic and find a new bf, ask him if he had any visions yet.

HA HA, funny isn't it??

Why be so crass?? "Insane lunatic", really?? Grow up. Nothing was ever said that he would start a cult. Good going on lumping him in with some that have went past the point of getting back to reality.

That's just as bad as calling those with Autism and Aspergers, retards.

People wonder why some suffering with depression or any other mental disease don't tell others or seek help. For fear of being thought of the way you grouped them.

Get a clue and educate yourself.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs