Manners & Etiquette

Easter Tradition at Work

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:05:58
Where I work there is a tradition for supervisors (I am one) to give their team members a gift at easter (usually a chocolate egg).

This year there has also been a request circulated to donate a chocolate egg to a local charity who will distribute the eggs to the less fortunate.

I have suggested to my team that they consider donating the egg that I was going to give them to the charity.

Most of the team have agreed, and I have donated eggs on their behalf.

But what do I do with those who didn't ask me to donate? Do I still give them an egg?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#2New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:24:19
There is a charity that gives chocolate eggs to the less fortunate? Whaaa? I don't get it... seems like an odd item to hand out.
** not that I am saying the less fortunate don't "deserve eggs". (IT'S not fish after all!) It just seems easier for a charity to take in money and do an Easter celebration but the handling of actual eggs seems...well... awkward.

And that being said, to answer the initial question, I would probably treat everyone equally in the sense that
everyone gets an egg and they give their own eggs away...
or no one gets a an egg and the charity gets all the eggs.
An all or nothing deal, and not try and track who wanted what, just to keep someone from having to say they want their egg, and then everyone else being all... "oh look that tosser is is being selfish and not giving to charity," He wants the chocolate all to himself. Then they all get to ostracize someone and that is not cool.

I have been physically corned in an area while my coworkers and minions take chocolate from me...in a feeding frenzy type situation...so I don't think I even work with a group that could consider making the initial request. Or I just have the stuff that brings all the boys to the yard...I might have to charge...

Oh god, speaking of chocolate...Actual conversation I had today.... someone just asked if they could get it in the budget for a major project if they could pay me to bring in chocolate... Like actual real meeting suggestion for a real addition to a budget. I don't even think they were joking.
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:27:02
@DiscordTiger Said

There is a charity that gives chocolate eggs to the less fortunate? Whaaa? I don't get it... seems like an odd item to hand out.
** not that I am saying the less fortunate don't "deserve eggs". (IT'S not fish after all!) It just seems easier for a charity to take in money and do an Easter celebration but the handling of actual eggs seems...well... awkward.

And that being said, to answer the initial question, I would probably treat everyone equally in the sense that
An all or nothing deal, and not try and track who wanted what, just to keep someone from having to say they want their egg, and then everyone else being all... "oh look that tosser is is being selfish and not giving to charity," He wants the chocolate all to himself. Then they all get to ostracize someone and that is not cool.

I have been physically corned in an area while my coworkers and minions take chocolate from me...in a feeding frenzy type situation...so I don't think I even work with a group that could consider making the initial request. Or I just have the stuff that brings all the boys to the yard...I might have to charge...

Oh god, speaking of chocolate...Actual conversation I had today.... someone just asked if they could get it in the budget for a major project if they could pay me to bring in chocolate... Like actual real meeting suggestion for a real addition to a budget. I don't even think they were joking.

We may very well be on different planets!
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#4New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:29:18
@GeneticAnomaly Said

We may very well be on different planets!

I have thought there was a lot that was awfully strange about my workplace! So it's possible.
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:35:41
@DiscordTiger Said

I would probably treat everyone equally in the sense that

So... Aunty... seperating those who didn't give my gift to charity and pointing at them and letting everyone else make fun of them for not being 'charitable' is not the way to go?
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#6New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 02:47:38
@GeneticAnomaly Said

So... Aunty... seperating those who didn't give my gift to charity and pointing at them and letting everyone else make fun of them for not being 'charitable' is not the way to go?

Dear Reader,
That is correct.
people need to be able to rant about that s*** privately on the internet. If you let them do it at work, you deprive someone of a good rant on-line.

Ranty-Aunty
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:15:37
Maybe I'm not picturing a chocolate egg correctly because I'm thinking...

Why donate a chocolate egg?
Why not do both?

Anyway, if they didn't specifically ask for you to donate their egg on their behalf, I would give those people an egg. Just don't make a big deal of it. Nobody needs to know who got an egg and who didn't, right?

I'm sure I'm still not picturing this correctly.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#8New Post! Mar 27, 2014 @ 20:02:36
S.E.A.(someone-else-again) once more has replied ---- pretty
much what I was thinking as I reviewed the OP and responding posts.

Before I could get to the end of the thread, and 'create'/'send',
someone-else-again got there first!

I wouldn't make a thing of it.
If they didn't specifically let you know to donate their egg, I would simply give them their egg.

***I 'get' that some people are trying to picture this, and it's not working ---- but I'm guessing it's not a big deal ---- it's an
already-wrapped chocolate easter egg, right? Noooo biggie wiggie.

@someone_else_again Said

Maybe I'm not picturing a chocolate egg correctly because I'm thinking...

Why donate a chocolate egg?
Why not do both?

Anyway, if they didn't specifically ask for you to donate their egg on their behalf, I would give those people an egg. Just don't make a big deal of it. Nobody needs to know who got an egg and who didn't, right?

I'm sure I'm still not picturing this correctly.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs