The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#61New Post! Apr 23, 2014 @ 19:49:41
@dookie Said

Just try it with Bob, and I can relax and just enjoy the spectacle.

He and I go at it all the time... pushing 4 or 5 years or so... I love disagreeing with Bob...
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#62New Post! Apr 23, 2014 @ 22:36:08
@GreatestIam2 Said

Genesis 3.

Except that's a curse placed on Eve. It doesn't say that's the natural order of things at all. In fact, since it's a curse, it gives a pretty good indication that sin causes gender inequality, not God's perfect design.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#63New Post! Apr 23, 2014 @ 22:41:12
@GreatestIam2 Said

If you are not a part of the solution then you are a part of the problem.

Christianity is a part of the problem.

Regards
DL

Well since we're using that logic, Most proponents of Women's Suffrage were Christians. The President that proposed the 19th Amendment was Christian. Most of the Congresspeople that voted in support of the 19th Amendment were Christians. Most of the State Legislatures that ratified the amendment were Christians. Therefore, if we're using the fact that some of the opponents to Women's Suffrage used Christianity to deny them the right to vote as proof Christianity is part of the problem, then we must logically declare Christianity is part of the solution too. There's no other way around it.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#64New Post! May 01, 2014 @ 19:45:47
@dookie Said

Hi, my argument was not to do with that.......though I might well have sympathy for the sentiment....

At the moment I'm dipping into some of the writings of the Perennialists. Apparently their argument is for the "transcendental unity of all religions" while at the same time upholding the revelatory integrity of each.

I'm more familiar with Merton's approach in which he puts aside doctrinal differences in favour of the "experience" of the followers of each faith.

If a Universal religion as you indicate then yes, it would be better than the divisive Christianity.

Remember though that Gnostic Christian are also Universalists and also give women and gays full equality.

Most of the Eastern traditions also deny women equality.

The Dali Lama for instance only lately has said that gays were no longer to be discriminated against.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#65New Post! May 01, 2014 @ 19:48:54
@crazylikeafox Said

Except that's a curse placed on Eve. It doesn't say that's the natural order of things at all. In fact, since it's a curse, it gives a pretty good indication that sin causes gender inequality, not God's perfect design.

Except that God in Genesis says that Adam sinned and not Eve. Eve, he says was deceived.

Adam, if your logic holds true should be subservient to Eve.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#66New Post! May 01, 2014 @ 19:53:32
@crazylikeafox Said

Well since we're using that logic, Most proponents of Women's Suffrage were Christians. The President that proposed the 19th Amendment was Christian. Most of the Congresspeople that voted in support of the 19th Amendment were Christians. Most of the State Legislatures that ratified the amendment were Christians. Therefore, if we're using the fact that some of the opponents to Women's Suffrage used Christianity to deny them the right to vote as proof Christianity is part of the problem, then we must logically declare Christianity is part of the solution too. There's no other way around it.

Point taken. They created the emancipation then relented when pressed to do so by a more intelligent and moral people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqN8EYIIR3g&feature=related

This you may not need but it is informative.

Regards
DL
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#67New Post! May 01, 2014 @ 20:34:09
@GreatestIam2 Said

If a Universal religion as you indicate then yes, it would be better than the divisive Christianity.

Remember though that Gnostic Christian are also Universalists and also give women and gays full equality.

Most of the Eastern traditions also deny women equality.

The Dali Lama for instance only lately has said that gays were no longer to be discriminated against.

Regards
DL

All traditional Faiths are tainted by Patriarchal overtones (or undertones.... ), some more than others. Certainly Buddhism, and even in the texts of my own Pure Land way.

We either seek to "justify" them by various sophistries or just recognise them for exactly what they are.

Personally I'm not an advocate of a "Universal" religion or any form of eclecticism. It may well seem so, but it is the actual teaching of the Pure Land way that the Infinite Compassion of Amida (Reality-as-is) is Universal and "works" tirelessly in and through all reality towards the enlightenment of all. Therefore it is in keeping with its specific teaching that Grace can be found in infinite ways. Sadly, many are determined to deny any such thing and seek to restrict the "working" to their own Creed.

Ottawa, Canada
#68New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 16:19:24
Yes and that helps no one.

We are all in this together, alone.

Regards
DL
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others