Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#16New Post! Feb 20, 2014 @ 18:18:30
@yami Said

Violence is ok in theory but not much fun if you are on the receiving end of it.

Hence why people need to learn to defend themselves. Instead of choosing to make themselves victims.

It took me one attempted knifing and 32 kicks to the head to realise it was my chpice in life to be a victim.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#17New Post! Feb 20, 2014 @ 21:47:38
@yami Said

Violence is ok in theory but not much fun if you are on the receiving end of it.

In agreement with Townie that taking some beatings are actually good for us psychologically as it is physically: Controlled violence might make for good exercise such as martial arts (which OP says he's taken up recently).

On the other hand picking fights in public to overcome the phobia of being brittle is imposing on others.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#18New Post! Feb 20, 2014 @ 21:54:18
@Electric_Banana Said

In agreement with Townie that taking some beatings are actually good for us psychologically as it is physically: Controlled violence might make for good exercise such as martial arts (which OP says he's taken up recently).

On the other hand picking fights in public to overcome the phobia of being brittle is imposing on others.

Totally agree. If your picking fights in public its about proving yourself to everyone else. Even if you try a fight with someone who is a bigger harder man. You have something to prove.

In dojo's and clubs its about mastering yourself. Half the time you dont even do fanxy stuff, just foot work and repetitions of the same move. But thats the aim, improvement.

Also it teaches discipline and respect.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#19New Post! Feb 20, 2014 @ 22:55:11
"If you must drown yourself please don't try and do so in a puddle on the floor of a restroom in an Adult Bookstore."

<chuckle>
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#20New Post! Feb 20, 2014 @ 23:05:34
@Hypnotica Said

Totally agree. If your picking fights in public its about proving yourself to everyone else. Even if you try a fight with someone who is a bigger harder man. You have something to prove.

In dojo's and clubs its about mastering yourself. Half the time you dont even do fanxy stuff, just foot work and repetitions of the same move. But thats the aim, improvement.

Also it teaches discipline and respect.

As the old saw goes, a built in function of marital art is to teach one's self to avoid using it.

As with properly earned respect, once you gain it you won't need it.

#21New Post! Feb 21, 2014 @ 00:34:57
Your thesis seems correct. (here comes the but) ...but I would use the word strength instead of violence. Violence (intense injurous physical force) has the negative connotation of unwarranted exertion of power.

The strong prey on the weak. That is the natural order of things. We seldom (if ever) hear about a profesional football player of boxer getting mugged. Muggers prey on the weak old man on his way home from the library not on someone who is strong.

Contesion and competition is the norm. It has always been, it is now, and it always will be. If attacked there are choices to make as to how to respond; the choice might be to counter attack, or to defend, or to retreat or to surrender. If threatened there are choices to be made; attack, counter the threat, ignore the threat, or yield.

Choices are based on available knowledge.

The potential for making the correct choice increases when things are seen as they really are. Know your self, know your enemy, know the terrain. If weaker than your enemy attacking may not be the best option. If on unfreindly grournd retreat might be the correct choice. So I agree that strenght is improtant but I would add knowledge to the formula too.

#22New Post! Feb 21, 2014 @ 00:36:23
@Eaglebauer Said

As the old saw goes, a built in function of marital art is to teach one's self to avoid using it.

As with properly earned respect, once you gain it you won't need it.

Once you have the power there is always the temptation to abuse it.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#23New Post! Feb 21, 2014 @ 00:45:31
@Erimitus Said

Once you have the power there is always the temptation to abuse it.

Unless the power itself is resistance to temptation.

#24New Post! Feb 21, 2014 @ 00:48:28
@Eaglebauer Said

Unless the power itself is resistance to temptation.

A good power to have. I have heard tell of it but have never experienced it myself.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#25New Post! Feb 21, 2014 @ 01:02:02
@Erimitus Said

A good power to have. I have heard tell of it but have never experienced it myself.

I also have heard of it in myth. As I understand, it is classically an easier power to exercise when the temptation belongs to someone other than yourself.

#26New Post! Feb 21, 2014 @ 01:13:52
The use of force is sometimes necessary but it should be avoided when possible.

A fight should be swift with two hits maximum. You hit your opponent, your opponent hits the ground. End of fight. If that is not going to happen reconsider the fight.

Use only enough force to defeat or subdue your opponent.

Do not use excessive force; destroy an enemy only if there is no other option. If someone is trying to kill you that may be a justification to kill them first but if you can subdue them the end result may be better for everyone. (e.g. Zimmerman)

#27New Post! Feb 21, 2014 @ 01:16:19
@Eaglebauer Said

I also have heard of it in myth. As I understand, it is classically an easier power to exercise when the temptation belongs to someone other than yourself.

true
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs