Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...17 18 19
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#271New Post! Feb 14, 2014 @ 22:37:17
@shinobinoz Said

That is different. This about power over others.

It is different but it's still power and that's all Hypnotica is saying, I think. Like Deitrich Bonhoffer said, "Not to act, is to act. Not to speak, is to speak."

Lack of action makes you an unwitting player. Action on "your" part keeps "them" from "winning" the power game.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#272New Post! Feb 15, 2014 @ 05:15:15
@someone_else_again Said

It is different but it's still power and that's all Hypnotica is saying, I think. Like Deitrich Bonhoffer said, "Not to act, is to act. Not to speak, is to speak."

Lack of action makes you an unwitting player. Action on "your" part keeps "them" from "winning" the power game.

Well hypnotica did say that power was trying to control so go figure.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#273New Post! Feb 15, 2014 @ 17:05:19
@Hypnotica Said

Everyone is a player in the game of power, there are only effective and ineffective players, effective and ineffective strategies.

@shinobinoz Said

Not totally.

@someone_else_again Said

In a way, yes. People may not be trying for POWER but they at least want power over their own lives. That makes them a "player" so to speak.

@shinobinoz Said

That is different. This about power over others.

@Hypnotica Said

Isnt that what POWER is?

Control of others?

@shinobinoz Said

Not really. You can be a powerful leader & not control others. Mandela, Mother Teresa come to mind.

@shinobinoz Said

Well hypnotica did say that power was trying to control so go figure.

Not to be nit-picky but he didn't say anything about trying. Do you honestly believe that Mother Teresa didn't control anybody? She didn't demand it, she didn't do it by force but she still did control people.

How is a completely different issue.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#274New Post! Feb 15, 2014 @ 19:53:33
It seems an attempt to denigrate the power of privilege is all. Anyone trying to say that?
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#275New Post! Feb 15, 2014 @ 19:57:05
@shinobinoz Said

It seems an attempt to denigrate the power of privilege is all. Anyone trying to say that?

Can you rephrase that?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#276New Post! Feb 15, 2014 @ 20:01:15
@someone_else_again Said

Can you rephrase that?

If the statements were made with the intent the power ranges from nil to excessive we could all agree with that & the statements to that fact are pretty much useless. If the statements made are that everyone has power & is doing it- seems to belittle the preface that "privilege" is indeed power.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#277New Post! Feb 15, 2014 @ 20:21:33
@shinobinoz Said

If the statements were made with the intent the power ranges from nil to excessive we could all agree with that & the statements to that fact are pretty much useless. If the statements made are that everyone has power & is doing it- seems to belittle the preface that "privilege" is indeed power.

I think, at least from my standpoint, that the issue is somewhere in the middle. Those whose power is nil are still struggling to gain some power, not necessarily over a lot of people but at least their own family. Not to dominate them but to be able to speak and act on their behalf.

And thus Hypnotica's statement that everybody is a player with different strategies would basically be true.

Your people want power. They don't want to rule over other people but they want to govern themselves. That is power, is it not?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#278New Post! Feb 15, 2014 @ 22:18:27
@someone_else_again Said

I think, at least from my standpoint, that the issue is somewhere in the middle. Those whose power is nil are still struggling to gain some power, not necessarily over a lot of people but at least their own family. Not to dominate them but to be able to speak and act on their behalf.

And thus Hypnotica's statement that everybody is a player with different strategies would basically be true.

Your people want power. They don't want to rule over other people but they want to govern themselves. That is power, is it not?

We agree. I still find that hypnotica seems to feel that power & control are the same thing. I do not find that to be true. Can be, not generally.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...17 18 19

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs