Forums: Technology & Internet:
Software

Windows 7 activation

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Conflict On about 13 hours ago

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Jan 20, 2014 @ 18:22:41
Next month, as stated I plan to buy a new computer. I've finally decided to purchase Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit along with it. The bulk of my current games and programs, including Microsoft Office 2010, Home and Student, were tested on Windows 7 and the best new games need at least twice the memory my measly 512 GB card can muster, not to mention a faster CPU, too.

Now, when I first turned on my last computer, I had to go through a registration process. I entered my name, my email, my language preference and created a username and password for my on-board copy of Windows 8 and then activated it on-line.

As I read, Windows 7 needs to be activated on-line as well. Do I have to create a username and password like I did for Windows 8 or not? Can I use the same email and password or not?
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#2New Post! Jan 20, 2014 @ 20:12:08
I think you only need to enter your serial for Windows 7 when installing 8.....but in order for you to have been legitimately using Win OS's prior to 8 you would've had to activate them online.

Even hacked copies would have to have a purchased key associated.

So what I'm thinking is that you went through the activation process prior and have forgotten about it. If you need your old username and password it should be the same one you use for other MS apps like Outlook, Live Mail & Games for Windows Live.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Jan 20, 2014 @ 22:51:20
You don't need a Microsoft account for Windows 7 the way you do for Windows 8. You will enter the key and, assuming your PC has an internet connection, it will register and activate your copy of Windows.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#4New Post! Jan 21, 2014 @ 19:51:38
Thank you both for the feedback. Now, the model I want to order does not come with Windows 7 preinstalled. I have bought four computers before this one, but their operating systems were all ready to go. I just had to register my name and configure my preferences.

Now, I'm going to have to insert the CD ROM at the startup. Do I get a message notifying me that the OS is not available and instructions to install it? Who's bought a computer here without the OS already on-board?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Jan 22, 2014 @ 02:59:26
The DVD will lead you through the installation process. You'll want to make sure to do a fresh installation (delete the existing partitions).

It's likely there are Windows 7 drivers for all your hardware, but it's not guaranteed. It's conceivable you will have to hunt down drivers for the network adapter, video card, etc.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#6New Post! Jan 22, 2014 @ 18:08:21
I wrote to PCcomponentes, the supplier and manufacturer of the model I want. They told me that the drivers would be installed with Windows, but it was recommended to get them updated from the developers.

Can I do this with Windows 7? Would it accept the modern drivers that Windows 8.1 uses?
woodss On February 26, 2024

#7New Post! Mar 31, 2014 @ 21:16:39
Activation is a licensing component, its rather important to Microsoft however there is a lot around it, most of them attract security breaches and retarded performance.

Its there of enforcement to the software license agreement, Microsoft can blacklist a license if used by more than one PC, if you change the motherboard or the hard drive even done by the same manufacturer, it is near impossible in normal circumstances to clone a component such as a motherboard and hard drive to have the share the same serial number, it might even read the serial number of the processor as well.

Because I upgraded my laptop and transferred the 750GB HDD that has Windows 8 Pro installed from the previous laptop to my current laptop which are both Lenovo's my old laptop was a T500 and my new one W530, and I needed to reactivate Windows 8 via phone activation, as long there is no previous installation you can transfer a license "key" between PCs, all needs to be done is telephone activation.
woodss On February 26, 2024

#8New Post! Mar 31, 2014 @ 21:19:53
@Conflict Said

I wrote to PCcomponentes, the supplier and manufacturer of the model I want. They told me that the drivers would be installed with Windows, but it was recommended to get them updated from the developers.

Can I do this with Windows 7? Would it accept the modern drivers that Windows 8.1 uses?

As long the driver is 32 or 64 bit it will work just fine.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#9New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 16:28:11
Well, Windows 7 has thus far been my chariot, my faithful companion. I have installed many fine programs on my PC and it executes them all very well. May Windows 7 continue to thrive until 2020.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs