AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#16New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 12:48:53
@Sweet_Merry Said

Hi

Yes, it feels true.

It's strange how we grow up thinking Police are here to protect each and everyone of us- individually. They're not, they're here to protect the common good- which changes from person to person and is different in all situations.
They also must protect themselves...

I quite agree. Police base their interpretation of right and wrong strictly on ethics, not on morality. Rules and regulations and the secular idea of conduct, are their purview. Problems and issues between people have to be dealt with in the ways they see fit, or they get involved.

So, really, the police are dog owners, who pull their leashes when they feel the dogs could get out of control. This is a fault, more than a virtue, because it means that people will only behave as much as they are expected to, not as well as they naturally would.

@Eaglebauer Said

First, you really ought to stop using scripts from movies as the basis of your life philosophies. They are written to entertain not to speak with educated authority on how you should live your life, and sometimes the lines are written for characters you really wouldn't want to emulate in real life anyway (like Nicholson's character in The Departed).

As for what the difference is, I am kind of sad that I have to point this out, but it's the motivation behind the action. When a policeman draws a gun it is to protect him or herself against an aggressor or to try to stop someone from intentionally harming another person. When a criminal draws a gun and points it at someone it is usually only for selfish purposes, sometimes material ones that have nothing to do with the preservation of life.

Really, if you can't understand that I don't know how to help you.

If I wanted help, I would talk to a friend, I certainly wouldn't ask you. Your view is much more human than mine. I believe more in animal principle, separate from human civilization, because we are still mammals. We may be more subtle, but we are still wolves in sheep´s clothing and only lobotomies or torture can change that for good.

As for your latest feedback, we're ultimately the ones to decide what to do with our lives and with other people. We make decisions that affect them and us. No one forces our hand. It's our will to power that makes life work or doesn't. A police officer fights for what he believes in, no one asked him to join the police force, he joined it of his own free will, so he cast the die, with his own hand. His self-interest motivated him to take his job. He could have just as easily chosen something else to do.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#17New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 13:31:11
@Conflict Said

I quite agree. Police base their interpretation of right and wrong strictly on ethics, not on morality.

eth·ics (ˈeTHiks)
noun
plural noun: ethics; noun: ethics
moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior.
"Judeo-Christian ethics"
synonyms: moral code, morals, morality, values, rights and wrongs, principles, ideals, standards (of behavior), value system, virtues, dictates of conscience More
the moral correctness of specified conduct.
"the ethics of euthanasia"
the branch of knowledge that deals with moral principles.

Ethics is morality.

@Conflict Said

Rules and regulations and the secular idea of conduct, are their purview.

This is also what quite a lot of people consider to be morality.

@Conflict Said

If I wanted help, I would talk to a friend, I certainly wouldn't ask you. Your view is much more human than mine. I believe more in animal principle, separate from human civilization, because we are still mammals. We may be more subtle, but we are still wolves in sheep´s clothing and only lobotomies or torture can change that for good.

My view is more "human." Hm. I thought we were talking about humans.

Anyway, you seem to have a limited view of what a human being is. And by posting your questions you are, in essence, asking anyone who answers for help. However, you ask for answers but seem to not want to listen to them if they don't look favorably on what you believe. When was the last time you admitted to being wrong about something? Being wrong is also something that is very human and there is no shame in it.

@Conflict Said

As for your latest feedback, we're ultimately the ones to decide what to do with our lives and with other people. We make decisions that affect them and us. No one forces our hand. It's our will to power that makes life work or doesn't. A police officer fights for what he believes in, no one asked him to join the police force, he joined it of his own free will, so he cast the die, with his own hand. His self-interest motivated him to take his job. He could have just as easily chosen something else to do.

You contradict yourself. What "making decisions affecting our lives" is an ingredient of is humanity, which is what actually does separate us from other animals. And your question wasn't "what prompted a police officer to choose his profession," it was basically "what is the difference between a police officer pointing a gun at someone and a criminal pointing a gun at someone" and I only can really repeat my answer, that it is the motivation behind the act that differentiates the two. I could just as easily ask you what motivates a criminal to become a criminal, and the answer varies just as it does for police officers.

You can't just change the question if you don't like the answer I give, but my answer is not actually an opinion. It is a fact that one of the large differences between a police officer pointing a weapon and a criminal pointing a weapon is motivation.

Do you disagree? Imagine an officer stepping into the line of fire and drawing his weapon against a criminal who is trying to shoot someone else that the officer has never even met, but that the criminal is trying to rob and kill. Is the difference more clear? One is protective, the other is acquisitive of something the criminal has done nothing to earn.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#18New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 13:46:45
@Eaglebauer Said

If you aren't going to listen to answers why do you ask for them?

Some people like to share the crazy, he's not the first to do that on this site
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#19New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 13:48:46
@floydgirrl Said

I know.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 14:18:43
@floydgirrl Said

No, he sure isn't. Although I can't decide if he's actual a complete idiot and weirdo or a troll.
Conflict On April 03, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#21New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 22:47:46
For the moment I will not update this thread. I don't appear to be establishing a proper rhythm. I will come back to it later, when my ability to relate to the topic is better.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#22New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 23:35:01
@floydgirrl Said

@Eaglebauer Said

I know.

Is that a zucchini in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#23New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 23:35:41
@Silver_Lining Said

No, he sure isn't. Although I can't decide if he's actual a complete idiot and weirdo or a troll.

He's not a troll.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs