The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is needlessly sacrificing your child, as God did, child abuse and murder?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#76New Post! Dec 16, 2013 @ 16:33:02
@NVIIIX1 Said

He would then be Rightly jealous.

I have to say that this is a prime example of ascribing human emotions to the Divine in a way that distorts. One could understand that Love, seeking the very best for us, and knowing that Love itself is that very best, would suffer when we sought elsewhere, but.........

@NVIIIX1 Said

The Creator and Sustainer of all things does what He does.

Agreed. (Though perhaps the constant "He" really needs to be looked at given the full depth and breadth of the Christian Faith.) And one thing "He" does is to reveal "Himself" as the servant of all.

@NVIIIX1 Said

Satan often tries to destroy us by affirming and then distorting Scripture-

Given the sheer number of denominations that have sprung up since the declaration of sola scriptura by Martin Luther, each interpreting Scripture in their own way, one must surely think Satan is having a field day. Of course, we can always assume that the distortion refers to that of others.

@NVIIIX1 Said

Here he would have us question Exodus 20:3 accurately quoted: "You shall have no other gods before me."

I repeat my first response here.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#77New Post! Dec 16, 2013 @ 19:10:43
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#78New Post! Dec 16, 2013 @ 20:35:25
@NVIIIX1 Said

He would then be Rightly jealous. The Creator and Sustainer of all things does what He does. Satan often tries to destroy us by affirming and then distorting Scripture--Here he would have us question Exodus 20:3 accurately quoted: "You shall have no other gods before me."

No deflection please. We are not talking accuracy as the Bible is definitely not that.

We are talking whether that is egotistical or not and it definitely is.

In moral terms, that first commandment is enough to show that God's morals are inferior to man's.

We tend to center ours on others while with God, it is all about his pathetic ass.

Regards
DL
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#79New Post! Dec 16, 2013 @ 21:17:26
@GreatestIam2 Said

No deflection please. We are not talking accuracy as the Bible is definitely not that.

Then chose another target because all of the characters in your little puppet show come directly from those pages.

God questions the vapor of a man who dares to raise his fist to heaven. This from Job:

“Who is this that obscures my plans with words without knowledge?
Brace yourself like a man. I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone—while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?"

Amazing poetry which speaks to our petulant hearts.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#80New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 08:43:25
@GreenAppleKing Said

Then chose another target because all of the characters in your little puppet show come directly from those pages.

God questions the vapor of a man who dares to raise his fist to heaven. This from Job:

Brace yourself like a man. I will question you, and you shall answer me. Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone—while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?"

Hi, the words you quote point towards a Reality that is ineffable and ultimately beyond words. The trouble is, out of fear, we build a system, a thelogy of salvation, seeking to domesticate the ineffable.

Once again I quote Merton.......from his "Raids on the Unspeakable"

But the magicians keep turning the Cross to their own purpose. Yes, it is for them too a sign of contradiction: the awful blasphemy of the religious magician who makes the Cross contradict mercy. This of course is the ultimate temptation of Christianity. To say that Christ has locked all doors, has given one answer, settled everything and departed, leaving all life enclosed in the frightful consistency of a system outside of which there is seriousness and damnation, inside of which there is the intolerable flippancy of the saved - while nowhere is there any place left for the mystery of the freedom of divine mercy which alone is truly serious, and worthy of being taken seriously.

Ottawa, Canada
#81New Post! Dec 17, 2013 @ 19:43:56
@GreenAppleKing Said

Did you have an opinion to share on the O P?

Regards
DL
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#82New Post! Dec 31, 2013 @ 18:15:51
@NVIIIX1 Said

Are you sure Joseph lied about being the Father of Jesus?

I stand corrected.

Quote:
The consequences of his taking Mary as his wife were great. From the world’s standpoint, she was an adulteress. It does not take a lot of research to see that Joseph was not recognized as Jesus’ father. Throughout scripture, a man is referred to as the son of his father. David, the son of Jesse; Joseph, the son of Jacob; etc. When Jesus is described by people, His is called, not the Son of Joseph, but the “Son of Mary.” Today's modern culture may see this as a beautiful description of the nativity. In reality it is a grievous insult, a constant reminder that Jesus is an illegitimate child, a child without inheritance, a reminder that the man who calls himself his father is, in reality, only an illegitimate step-father. Today's culture is characterized by broken homes and mixed marriages, so there is very little distain for children born out of wedlock. However, these were despised in the legalistic and highly charged traditional society of the Jews.

It must have required a great amount of courage for Joseph to take Mary as his wife. We see that he will be resigning the rest of his days to the whispers of the hypocritical and self-righteous, and a future with little opportunity for attaining any position of respect. He would not be able to pursue any career that would be respected by the people. Even as a lowly carpenter, he would be the last one to be considered for a job by most of the potential customers.

https://www.biblicaltheology.com/mat/42_01_18.html
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#83New Post! Dec 31, 2013 @ 22:48:48
@GreatestIam2 Said

But, but.
Regards
DL

All this convoluted use of biblical quotations demonstrates, to me, is that wisdom is far more than knowledge. To me, again, what is said and done is far more important than the ability to quote biblical experts. From one of Jihasista's threads: https://www.cato.org/blog/scientific-breakthroughs-year-2013?utm_content=bufferca6ac&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
This is where I put my faith.

Ottawa, Canada
#84New Post! Jan 01, 2014 @ 18:44:17
Wisdom is the application of knowledge. Knowledge is the tool. Wisdom is the product of the knowledge.

Regards
DL
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs