Manners & Etiquette

Rules of engagement

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Dec 04, 2013 @ 19:30:32
Years ago when I still had a Myspace....when ANYONE still used Myspace...I was a member of a group there called Left vs Right. Being one of those horrid creatures referred to as a centrist, I would sometimes be on the left side of a discussion and sometimes on the right and while emotions would run high sometimes, as they tend to in any political discussion, the majority of the other members kept things rather civil and on point.

If there were stragglers who would twist words, change subject with no serious intent, take defensive postures where none were warranted, and/or start making superfluous ad hominem attacks, even those on that member's "side" would step away from him or her and leave him/her to look like an a** on his or her own.

There was a user who was a strong proponent of communism who I debated with regularly and we never allowed ourselves to become angry or take criticisms of each other personally...and it was actually enjoyable to argue with him. He said the same of me several times and we would provide very illuminating information to each other to educate each other on our respective opinions. We did all this while staunchly disagreeing with each other.

I wish more of this mentality existed here on TFS. All too often we tend to take things that are critical of our beliefs and turn them into personal battles, or treat them with disdain and dismissive contempt rather than with any ounce of respect as the opinions of someone other than ourselves. I have seen several of us be unfair to each other, both people I have agreed with in a discussion and disagreed with.

Some of us seem to feel that if we are asked questions about our beliefs or if another posts something contrary to them that we are under attack. Direct questions that are on topic and non adversarial have produced nothing but opposition, insult, and side stepping in some cases.

Perhaps there is no solution and things will always be this way, but I hope that a lot of us can try to keep in mind that often our discussions are sincerely meant to be educational. That the voicing of a question or contrary belief, or even just a concern, doesn't have to be taken as an attack.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#2New Post! Dec 04, 2013 @ 21:02:59
I disagree entirely with you and therefore, you are an idiot...

/jk

I have to admit that TFS is a bastion of the ad hominem attack. I would like to say my hands are clean, but they probably aren't. I think that sometimes people can not distinguish between disagreeing with an idea held by a person, and disliking that person.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#3New Post! Dec 04, 2013 @ 21:49:40
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I disagree entirely with you and therefore, you are an idiot...

/jk

Your full of crap.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#4New Post! Dec 04, 2013 @ 22:01:30
@Hypnotica Said

Your full of crap.

damned image won't work
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#5New Post! Dec 05, 2013 @ 02:57:43
@Eaglebauer Said

Some of us seem to feel that if we are asked questions about our beliefs or if another posts something contrary to them that we are under attack. Direct questions that are on topic and non adversarial have produced nothing but opposition, insult, and side stepping in some cases.

This is pretty much why I don't post my religious beliefs here. I have some different (from typical posters on TFS) beliefs and I don't come here to be called stupid or idiotic because of them.

I keep these beliefs pretty close and only a very few people know what they are. and by very few, probably less than 5 and maybe only one of them is on TFS.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Dec 05, 2013 @ 03:18:44
I've always thought that political and religious discussion can take place with respect and friendship intact. It's how I grew up involved in it anyways. I agree that it's a rarity here though, and probably in the real world as well.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Dec 05, 2013 @ 03:22:38
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I have to admit that TFS is a bastion of the ad hominem attack.

You mean how I post a debate in the religious section, someone will address that I'm lazy and do not work - I'll reply in defense and derail my own topic only for someone to end it with 'Banana has to always make this about him.'

They're doing that s*** to be funny.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Dec 05, 2013 @ 03:35:10
@Electric_Banana Said

You mean how I post a debate in the religious section, someone will address that I'm lazy and do not work - I'll reply in defense and derail my own topic only for someone to end it with 'Banana has to always make this about him.'

They're doing that s*** to be funny.

Why do you always have to make this about you?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs