Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#61New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 00:08:47
@shinobinoz Said

They are all colors for sure. As a biologist there is a need for more realistic descriptors. Color is what we see- right in front of us. It should not make a difference in outcomes or preferences but I think it a joke to think we can be colored blind.

Yes.

For example: I once knew a "black" Puerto Rican Orthodox Jew and also later in life a "White" Jew from the Dominican Republic.

(I have also know many other people from Puerto Rico and from the Dominican Republic.)

In each case, the "color" of their skin (I think) had far less to do with who they were culturally/ethnically/socially than that fact that they were "hispanic jews".

I supposed that while they were "black" and "white" in terms of skin, they were "colored" culturally/ethnically/socially.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#62New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 00:12:47
@chaski Said

Yes.

For example: I once knew a "black" Puerto Rican Orthodox Jew and also later in life a "White" Jew from the Dominican Republic.

(I have also know many other people from Puerto Rico and from the Dominican Republic.)

In each case, the "color" of their skin (I think) had far less to do with who they were culturally/ethnically/socially than that fact that they were "hispanic jews".

I supposed that while they were "black" and "white" in terms of skin, they were "colored" culturally/ethnically/socially.

Or just different! I like different!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#63New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 00:13:49
@someone_else_again Said

Oh sure ...when you're providing a physical description. I don't use skin color much to describe people though. Don't see a reason to when there are so many other much more distinguishing features.

Of course. And if you know the person you have a different set of descriptors as well.
puzZles On November 13, 2020

Inside my mind's mind, United
#64New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 04:13:39
@someone_else_again Said

Oh sure ...when you're providing a physical description. I don't use skin color much to describe people though. Don't see a reason to when there are so many other much more distinguishing features.

Yeah, like "that guy with the big d***".
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#65New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 04:23:48
@puzZles Said

Yeah, like "that guy with the big d***".

I have always wanted a bigger d***. When men have sex change operations what do they do with their junk? Is a transplant possible. I would not care if it was black.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#66New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 04:31:52
@Erimitus Said

I have always wanted a bigger d***. When men have sex change operations what do they do with their junk? Is a transplant possible. I would not care if it was black.

Yes. The procedure is called an Addadictomy.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#67New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 15:31:26
@Erimitus Said

As I understand it the term n****r/nigra (from the Spanish Negro meaning black) was a non-pejorative word used in reference to slaves whose origin was sub-Saharan Africa. In the beginning of the 20th century n****r came to be considered a slur and the term colored was adopted. (e.g. NAACP). Colored was used until the mid 20th century when the civil rights movement started and the term black became the accepted term. By the end of the 20th century the term African American, although cumbersome, became the accepted term. This is an appropriate description in that the majority of Americans of African decent tend to be genetically different from the African that they descended from.

If, in fact, the human race originated in Africa we are all, technically, African Americans. Personally I do not see my self as a European American; just an American.

(Note: Apparently the word black and n****r were use interchangeably as far back as the 18th century)

(Note: In a recent census document I filled out after the question about my race I was given choices such as white, African American, Hispanic (I don’t even think that is a race) etc. I checked the box labeled ‘other’ and wrote in human. They actually sent someone to my house to determine my race; as if that is somehow important. Anyway I have been officially declared white.)

(Note: I wonder if there are people in Europe who call themselves African Europeans.)

Aren't we ALL part of the Human Race?

P.S. I redacted the offensive N word for my post reply because I refuse to promote a word that can be harmful to some people.

J.R.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#68New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 15:38:21
The NAACP doesn't seem to think it is offensive.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#69New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 17:21:47
@Eaglebauer Said

Yes. The procedure is called an Addadictomy.

Attaboy!
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#70New Post! Aug 31, 2013 @ 18:05:06
Term "colored" is just not politically correct these days.
It's like calling an Asian Oriental.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#71New Post! Sep 04, 2013 @ 17:24:18
@Leon Said

The NAACP doesn't seem to think it is offensive.

I wasn't talking to them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs