Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 09:32:30
@ninozara Said

You probably know, but I feel I always need to mention it - anything that is out of copyright you can usually find for free (either on Amazon, or sites like Project Gutenberg - I found quite a few of my uni texts that way ).

Also, if you go on Amazon Local UK (it is like a voucher/deal site along the lines of wowcha) there are often free vouchers to get books - they are usually limited to certain ones but you can get some good ones. You just need an amazon account.

In keeping with your above theme, and free, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie are adapting Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost - it's a short story, but quite amusing, and it can be free.

I've just read a selection of books by Jasper Fforde - he is absolutely wonderful. The Thursday Next series is great, she's a literary detective in an alternate 1985 - there is time travel, mystery, action and romance. Plus Classic characters popping out of books!

Thanks for all the hints, I'll definitely check out that Amazon Local site.

Also, the Thursday Next series sound good. I get a lot of my books from the charity shop so I'll definitely keep my eyes open.
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 14:42:58
@Silver_Lining Said

What do you think of 50 Shades so far?

So far I like it, good story but I've not read it in months
RIP Boobie

#33New Post! Aug 28, 2013 @ 15:14:39
@Sparklegirl Said

So far I like it, good story but I've not read it in months

I rather enjoyed it but I got rather bored by book 3.
JamieP On June 27, 2018

, Massachusetts
#34New Post! Aug 29, 2013 @ 13:17:43
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I am currently reading a Thousand Splendid Sons by Khaled Hosseini. Just started it. Hoping I like it as much as Kite Runner.
RIP Boobie

#35New Post! Aug 29, 2013 @ 13:20:24
@JamieP Said

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

I've seen Kite Runner listed in top book lists. I shall keep an eye out for both of them, thanks.
JamieP On June 27, 2018

, Massachusetts
#36New Post! Aug 29, 2013 @ 13:25:38
@Silver_Lining Said

I've seen Kite Runner listed in top book lists. I shall keep an eye out for both of them, thanks.

Both also movies, in keeping with your theme
RIP Boobie

#37New Post! Aug 29, 2013 @ 13:36:13
@JamieP Said

Both also movies, in keeping with your theme

Yeah, and I've not seen either film
Sparklegirl On December 13, 2019
LL.M

Cumbria, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Aug 29, 2013 @ 20:43:17
@ninozara Said

You probably know, but I feel I always need to mention it - anything that is out of copyright you can usually find for free (either on Amazon, or sites like Project Gutenberg - I found quite a few of my uni texts that way ).

Also, if you go on Amazon Local UK (it is like a voucher/deal site along the lines of wowcha) there are often free vouchers to get books - they are usually limited to certain ones but you can get some good ones. You just need an amazon account.

In keeping with your above theme, and free, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie are adapting Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost - it's a short story, but quite amusing, and it can be free.

I've just read a selection of books by Jasper Fforde - he is absolutely wonderful. The Thursday Next series is great, she's a literary detective in an alternate 1985 - there is time travel, mystery, action and romance. Plus Classic characters popping out of books!

He sounds like a fab author, I will check that out thanks for the tip
Judas On September 02, 2015

, Canada
#39New Post! Aug 30, 2013 @ 15:10:28
@Silver_Lining Said

I had that at some point and now can't remember if I actually finished it.

I lent it to someone else and they didn't finish it either. I guess it's not for everyone, I just find that odd because I love it. lol
Moloch On September 17, 2013

#40New Post! Sep 01, 2013 @ 03:56:26
"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, "The Damnation Game" by Clive Barker, "The Matrix" by Johnathan Aycliffe.

Those are just the first three that come to mind and I loved every one of them. I could seriously make a long list, but this will be a nice start.

Oh, That last one, The Matrix, is not a book to take lightly or read at night. Do not underestimate Aycliffe. Oh, and it has nothing to do with the trash movie from Hollywood of the same name.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs