Pages: << · 1 2 3
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#31New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 13:05:42
@white_swan53 Said

ir·re·gard·less adverb \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

It's "nonstandard." It's not a real word. It's someone trying to use the word "regardless" without knowing any better.
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#32New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 16:23:33
@white_swan53 Said

ir·re·gard·less adverb \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\

Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Seriously?
You are arguing that because there is a social history of grammatical abuse it is acceptable to continue speaking like uneducated hicks.

Take the correction for what it's worth and learn something.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#33New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 16:49:40
Well that took a weird turn.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#34New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 17:22:19
@someone_else_again Said

Well that took a weird turn.

You should have seen the time I did not use a comma in one of my posts. The backlash that followed was if I said "Go Russia" on Canadian soil during an olympic gold medal hockey game. I thought there would be a riot and pitch forks or me tied to a bumper to be dragged down the streets.

Then there was the time I saw the word football and made the innocent mistake of thinking they meant what we call football but it was really le soccer they were referring to. I got a bit taken off my skin that day.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#35New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 17:25:51
@DorkySupergirl Said

You should have seen the time I did not use a comma in one of my posts. The backlash that followed was if I said "Go Russia" on Canadian soil during an olympic gold medal hockey game. I thought there would be a riot and pitch forks or me tied to a bumper to be dragged down the streets.

Then there was the time I saw the word football and made the innocent mistake of thinking they meant what we call football but it was really le soccer they were referring to. I got a bit taken off my skin that day.

Every now and then, punctuation does make a huge difference. Why, I remember an Encyclopedia Brown story where that was the reason some kid got beaten up.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#36New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 17:58:07
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs