Illegal Ownership vs. Gun Control Laws

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Electric_Banana On April 20, 2024

, New Zealand
#16New Post! Jul 26, 2013 @ 23:50:11
@someone_else_again Said

While I can agree with that about some people, that is in no way an absolute statement.

Not an absolute statement but I do tend to find myself a very rare breed indeed...keeps me smug all them times others try and tell me I'ma doin' it wrong.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#17New Post! Jul 27, 2013 @ 02:21:01
Here's the thing. I recently had a family member shot and killed by his wife, a convicted felon. It took months of the family pointing out to prosecution that legally she shouldn't have had a gun in the first place before they finally added the charge of illegal possession of a gun. She has done a fairly good job of creating reasonable doubt about her being the shooter despite the fact that she originally confessed to the murder (there is some suspicion she was covering for her 20 year old son also in the house at the time). Regardless, she is bats*** crazy and had threatened him for years. Even if she gets off, we don't want her released. We believe she either shot him or put her son up to shooting him, or conspired in some way with her son to shoot him. She might get off of the murder charges, but she was fully in possession of a gun she had no legal right to possess. If nothing else we want her convicted of illegal possession of a firearm. Without laws that prevent her from legally owning a gun, that can't happen. It isn't necessarily about preventing the crimes, but it is about being able to do something about it once the event happens.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#18New Post! Jul 27, 2013 @ 06:16:54
@white_swan53 Said

I'm wondering where you have come up with this idea that gun owners assume any of the things you posted about.

Who is this that is assuming that if gun control laws were loosened or removed that people not already gun owners would go out and buy one or more ?
That's just ridiculous .
Gun owners do not assume anything about these new stiffer gun control laws.

The issues gun owners have with these 'new stiffer' gun control laws have nothing what so ever to do with more people going out and becoming first time gun owners.

The majority of 'law abiding citizens' who are legal gun owners knew the basic gun safety tips and have the respect for firearms that is needed to be a responsible law abiding
owner of a legal firearm. Now this is an assumption on my part, the percentage of law abiding citizens in the US that never have and probably never will own a gun ,that knows the basic safety rules for fire arms is probably close to nil.
It's just plain not good logic or common sense to assume that arming people will reduce the number and intensity of incidents involving guns. You can't start passing out firearms to just everyone and expect anything good to come out of it.
The only people I know of that make wild and totally ridiculous assumptions about the issues legal gun owners has with the new gun control laws are those people that do not have a clue about what legal gun owners take issue with .

These same people read about a 'Blood bath' happening, like the one in Brooklyn and start jumping up and down screaming for new stiffer gun control laws , never stopping to think about the fact that the those criminals causing the 'Blood Baths' like the one in Brooklyn don't give two s***s for any laws past ,present or future and have no inclination to ever own a legal firearm.
What makes people assume that if I'm banned from owning a legal firearm or more more more stiffer stiffer gun control control laws are passed that criminal will stop going out and causing a 'blood bath' whenever they feel like it?
What makes people assume that my owning a legal firearm is what causes school shootings and if my firearms are taken or better controlled by the politician that things like armed robbery ,school shootings and blood baths will become a thing of the past ?

Look at Europe, firearms have been banned from law abiding citizens for centuries and yet there is still gun violence happening.

Yes I realize that there isn't as much gun violence over there as we have here. But when the math is done and the fact that it has been literally centuries that the ban has been in affect , that a lot of crimes involving guns over there.
Please don't assume that I'm trying to excuse ours here in the US or that I'm trying to distract attention by pointing fingers to theirs over there.
My point is even after hundreds of years of guns being banned to law abiding citizens , there is still crimes involving guns happening. in Europe. If pro gun control people would just stop and use their heads for something besides a hat rack , and if every one would put the focus on the criminal element that is causing the violence . there might be a chance for real change.
But, I know that is just 'pie in the shy' fantasy and has a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

Your OP implies almost the exact opposite to every point I've made and you've said regarding those points here.

Also, your issue here seems to be that gun laws don't work because SOME incidents still occur even with strict restriction and that this is grounds for a restructuring of how gun laws work. Never mind the fact that the complete removal of gun related incidents in any country is virtually impossible to achieve as long as guns exist in the world.

How would this be achieved? You yourself openly stated that criminal elements do not care about the laws at all so what would the point be to creating different laws and what would they be specifically? How would they be enforced? How would this work, specifically in our enshrined 'rights' of 'innocent until proven guilty'?

How do you create preventative laws in a society which believes that people are innocent until proven guilty?

And I know that the counterargument to this is that legal gun owners are treated like criminals, but are they really? Are they ostracized from communities for purchasing a firearm? Are they given weird and scandalized looks from the general population when they talk about owning a firearm? Does legally owning a firearm make it more difficult to get a job? Do they have to serve time in a state city or federal prison for owning a firearm?

Saying that having to register a gun and be put on a list is akin to being treated like a criminal is like saying being required to register and pass a test to get a drivers license is akin to being a criminal.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#19New Post! Jul 27, 2013 @ 06:38:41
@white_swan53 Said

Look at Europe, firearms have been banned from law abiding citizens for centuries and yet there is still gun violence happening.

Yes I realize that there isn't as much gun violence over there as we have here. But when the math is done and the fact that it has been literally centuries that the ban has been in affect , that a lot of crimes involving guns over there.
Please don't assume that I'm trying to excuse ours here in the US or that I'm trying to distract attention by pointing fingers to theirs over there.
My point is even after hundreds of years of guns being banned to law abiding citizens , there is still crimes involving guns happening. in Europe. If pro gun control people would just stop and use their heads for something besides a hat rack , and if every one would put the focus on the criminal element that is causing the violence . there might be a chance for real change.
But, I know that is just 'pie in the shy' fantasy and has a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

Look at japan. Their weapons bans span back almost 400 years and their current incidence rate is one of the lowest in the world. If you're looking for 100% effectiveness rate than I think you're looking for something that cannot exist. To condemn gun control laws because they don't achieve perfect incidence rates is folly. To make the market more inclusive with less restrictions for personal preference reasons is to play a very dangerous game with first time offenders for little to no actual societal gain.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#20New Post! Jul 30, 2013 @ 09:15:04
@nooneinparticular Said

Your OP implies almost the exact opposite to every point I've made and you've said regarding those points here.

Also, your issue here seems to be that gun laws don't work because SOME incidents still occur even with strict restriction and that this is grounds for a restructuring of how gun laws work. Never mind the fact that the complete removal of gun related incidents in any country is virtually impossible to achieve as long as guns exist in the world.

How would this be achieved? You yourself openly stated that criminal elements do not care about the laws at all so what would the point be to creating different laws and what would they be specifically? How would they be enforced? How would this work, specifically in our enshrined 'rights' of 'innocent until proven guilty'?

How do you create preventative laws in a society which believes that people are innocent until proven guilty?

And I know that the counterargument to this is that legal gun owners are treated like criminals, but are they really? Are they ostracized from communities for purchasing a firearm? Are they given weird and scandalized looks from the general population when they talk about owning a firearm? Does legally owning a firearm make it more difficult to get a job? Do they have to serve time in a state city or federal prison for owning a firearm?

Saying that having to register a gun and be put on a list is akin to being treated like a criminal is like saying being required to register and pass a test to get a drivers license is akin to being a criminal.

I have re read my OP and can't find where it implies any of the assumptions you posted .

What if anything has changed as far as the amount or the violence of gun crime since these 'new stiffer' laws have been passed? Has there been any lessening in the numbers of violent gun crimes or has there been any noticeable difference in the way the courts treat criminals caught with illegal firearms ?
I want to point out that the the only reference to criminals I have made is about criminals and not anything about any counter arguments.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs