Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

No More Therapy!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
carelt1985 On June 25, 2016

Chesterfield, Missouri
#1New Post! Jun 19, 2013 @ 05:06:09
I'll never go to a psychologist, again. It's a waste of my time and others. All I got was being labeled and being known as "crazy." I rather keep my problems to myself, take my supplements and medication, and make money (money's more important to me). I don't care if I look unfriendly. I wanna be left alone, anyway.
Corey On January 25, 2022

Sacramento, California
#2New Post! Jun 19, 2013 @ 07:22:45
@carelt1985 Said

I'll never go to a psychologist, again. It's a waste of my time and others. All I got was being labeled and being known as "crazy." I rather keep my problems to myself, take my supplements and medication, and make money (money's more important to me). I don't care if I look unfriendly. I wanna be left alone, anyway.

Yes, I can understand. One good friend is worth a hand full of therapists. Get good vitamins, sleep, nutrition, and exercise. Take care of your self. Do good at work. Maybe write in a journal. Look for ways to be strong.

Corey.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#3New Post! Jun 19, 2013 @ 09:14:57
@carelt1985 Said

Depending on what problems you have, perhaps you could talk things over with a close friend. Keeping them locked up inside with wear you out.

J.R.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#4New Post! Jun 20, 2013 @ 01:01:15
Some psychologists are better/worse than others. And there are *some* issues for which keeping to oneself or talking to a friend is not the solution. G'luck.

EDIT: Typo.
magicgoat On July 05, 2013

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#5New Post! Jun 20, 2013 @ 01:04:34
I'm not in counseling but I know it can help. Be well and keep in touch.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#6New Post! Jun 20, 2013 @ 01:20:09
Only do what you are comfortable doing whether it's friends, people on the net, family, counsellors, psychologists etc...

When/if you are comfortable and only then will you be able to actually reap benefits from what you're talking about.

If you're not comfortable with the person/people you are getting help from you will never be open to receiving any advice from said person.

Whatever works best for you is of the utmost importance in these situations.
LBwilliam On July 11, 2013

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 01, 2013 @ 06:57:45
Has anybody heard about the Buteyko breathing method? I was sent this link about https://learnbuteykoireland.eu/buteyko-for-depression-and-mental-conditions/ also check out the introduction video any comments or suggestions would be appreciated - many thanks Bill
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Jul 01, 2013 @ 10:53:41
@carelt1985 Said

Depends what kind of 'crazy' you're experiencing.

At first I thought that 'Paranoid Schizophrenia' was the most dreadfully horrible disease a person could ever have and then later I learned that everyone else regards it as their source for creativity, recreation and even lively hood.

I stopped concerning myself with and worrying about everything and nowadays enjoy being the best nuts that I can be.
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#9New Post! Jul 16, 2013 @ 22:53:56
Psychotherapy works for some people and some people it doesn't.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#10New Post! Jul 17, 2013 @ 01:45:18
@MainerMikeBrown Said

Psychotherapy works for some people and some people it doesn't.

That is dependent on a few things. I personally think if the problem is organic in nature, than a person needs to address the organic issue (whether it is diet, exposure to something creating the problem, an imbalance the requires medication, etc.) All of those are possible and no amount of talking will fix them.

However, if the problem is not organic, then an organic solution will only go so far to mask the symptoms. The emotional and/or cognitive aspects will need to be addressed, but even then the outcome depends a great deal on how much the client believes that counseling will work, and how willing they are to work through the hard stuff and to hear some things they probably don't want to hear. A lot of people think counselors are all touchy feely make you feel good people and that's not exactly how it works. They are empathetic, but they care enough to take you through the tough stuff to get to the other side. There really isn't a way around that part of the process usually.

It is helpful however to find a therapist that matches your theory of what counseling should be and matches your personality pretty well. I truly believe that it is essential to have a positive therapeutic relationship between counselor and client in order for there to be good progress.

So yes, counseling can and often does work very well, but it is not some magic thing that counselors do to clients to make it all better.
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#11New Post! Jul 17, 2013 @ 15:02:49
@alk1975 Said

That is dependent on a few things. I personally think if the problem is organic in nature, than a person needs to address the organic issue (whether it is diet, exposure to something creating the problem, an imbalance the requires medication, etc.) All of those are possible and no amount of talking will fix them.

However, if the problem is not organic, then an organic solution will only go so far to mask the symptoms. The emotional and/or cognitive aspects will need to be addressed, but even then the outcome depends a great deal on how much the client believes that counseling will work, and how willing they are to work through the hard stuff and to hear some things they probably don't want to hear. A lot of people think counselors are all touchy feely make you feel good people and that's not exactly how it works. They are empathetic, but they care enough to take you through the tough stuff to get to the other side. There really isn't a way around that part of the process usually.

It is helpful however to find a therapist that matches your theory of what counseling should be and matches your personality pretty well. I truly believe that it is essential to have a positive therapeutic relationship between counselor and client in order for there to be good progress.

So yes, counseling can and often does work very well, but it is not some magic thing that counselors do to clients to make it all better.

The moral is to realize the world as the problem for the way the public relates in their wishful ideas. That way they are applying Hope, and the results do not necessarily depend upon any exactly correct theoretical psycho-analytical view. The results are to morally realize their feelings of competition for brotherhood and freedom. Thus the attitude for a good physical feeling for oneself; as long as the thought continues.

But does the world care for your thoughts vainly or competitively? That again turns out to be a matter of opinion and not morals. Free thinking is generally not afforded.
carelt1985 On June 25, 2016

Chesterfield, Missouri
#12New Post! Jul 18, 2013 @ 15:23:21
Despite, the initial post, I realized I need help. After breaking down, yesterday, I impulsively drove to downtown STL to seek a hospital for treatment. I didn't wanna be suicidal, again.
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#13New Post! Jul 19, 2013 @ 00:38:54
Some people are not emotionally ready for psychotherapy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs