Sports

Howzat - The Cricket Forum

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...237 238 239
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#3571New Post! Mar 05, 2022 @ 12:56:20
The cricket world has paid tribute to former Australia wicketkeeper Rod Marsh after the 74-year-old died on Friday morning.

Marsh leaves an indelible impact on the sport of cricket, both on and off the field.

On it, Marsh was a genuine gamechanger, becoming the first Australian keeper to hit a century when he put up 118 in the first Test against Pakistan in Adelaide in December 1972.

The legendary wicketkeeper also formed a lethal partnership with Dennis Lillee, with 95 of his Test wickets caught by Marsh.

It saw the term “caught Marsh, bowled Lillee” become commonplace in cricket folklore.

In 2005 he was inducted into Cricket Australia’s Hall of Fame.

Marsh made his impact felt on the younger generations too, becoming head coach of the Australian Cricket Academy in Adelaide in the 1990s and early 2000s.

He also later served as a national selector until 2016.

Speaking on SEN Radio on Friday morning, Australian cricket great Brett Lee said the news of Marsh’s death “rocked everyone”.

“The last couple of minutes, people are just finding out now... it’s taken everyone by surprise,” he said.

“74 years young. The guy that played 96 Test matches, nearly 4000 runs... an absolute legend of the game, a legend of a bloke. A typical Aussie bloke who played his cricket hard, enjoyed a beer.”

Adam Gilchrist was also left “shocked” by the news of Marsh’s passing, paying his respects to “my absolute hero” on SEN WA Breakfast.

“Shocked, I’m absolutely shattered,” Gilchrist said.

“I can’t quite believe it, I just thought he was invincible.

“He was my absolute hero and I guess inspiration to all I set out to achieve and have a crack out. It really was him, he was just an idol, he helped me pursue what I wanted to do.

“To have him come into my life and have such a profound impact on my sporting life and then personal life as a mate. I still can’t believe that he was in my group of friends, in my friendship circle. I can’t believe it, he seemed unreal, one of those guys that was on TV, they just didn’t seem like they were real people, like superheroes.

“It’s going to be an emotional time.”

Speaking of Marsh’s role at the Australian Cricket Academy, Lee paid tribute to his ability to get the best out of the country’s emerging talent.

“I got to know Rod very well down at the Cricket Academy back in ‘94 and ‘95. Just a terrific guy,” he said.

“Obviously a big fan growing up, you think about Lillee and Thommo [Jeff Thomson] steaming in and the great Rod Marsh behind the stumps taking speccys left and right. A wonderful keeper behind the stumps to spinners.

“Being a kid in the backyard with two brothers, one older and one younger, we were always Allan Border, Rod Marsh, Ian Chappell, whoever it was.

“For me to then go down as an 18 or 17-year-old to Adelaide, to the Cricket Academy, to meet Rod Marsh for the first time, to be under his guidance for a number of years. I just thought this guy is so normal, he’s such a great fella. Harsh but fair.

“He wanted the best out of the players which was why he was so respected as a player, person and coach. Everyone is rocked and so saddened.”

Mark Waugh echoed similar sentiments, describing Marsh as a “straight-shooter” with “such a great heart”.

“You know where you stand with Rod,” he told foxsports.com.au.

“He was such a straight-shooter and I think that’s the trademark, he doesn’t beat around the bush but he’s got such a great heart. He was such a great judge of a cricketer too. Obviously a tremendous player.

“He was good fun. We had a good time together as selectors, we’d have a glass of red and all those sorts of things. He was a bubbly sort of person.”

The Australian public looks back fondly on the Marsh-Lillee days and it is no different for Waugh, who called his time watching the partnership as “iconic”.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#3572New Post! Mar 05, 2022 @ 13:05:41

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#3573New Post! Mar 05, 2022 @ 13:08:40

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#3574New Post! Mar 05, 2022 @ 13:14:25

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#3575New Post! Mar 05, 2022 @ 13:20:02

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#3576New Post! Dec 08, 2023 @ 04:51:59
Well done to the boys on winning their 6th world cup. After a pretty poor warm up and start to the tournament they slowly got better and better. Aided by some individual brilliance from the likes of Maxwell and Head. They certainly saved their best for last.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...237 238 239

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs