The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

A quote from one of my favorite books that I'm about to reread...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ShivanTech On June 13, 2013

Stevens, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Apr 28, 2013 @ 02:23:11
"A philosophic system is an integrated view of existence. As a human being, you have no choice about the fact that you need a philosophy. Your only choice is whether you define your philosophy by a conscious, rational, disciplined process of thought... or let your subconscious accumulate a junk heap of unwarranted conclusions..."

Can you guess who said this?

Here's another!

"The nature of your actions-and of your ambition- will be different, according to which set of answers you come to accept. These answers are the province of metaphysics-the study of existence as such or, in Aristotle's words, of "being qua being"- the basic branch of philosophy."

I absolutely love this person's works and the message often conveyed.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Apr 28, 2013 @ 07:09:14
Who needs guesses when we have Google?

Ayn Rand.

I would give Søren Kierkegaard a try for alternatives, a man who had little time for "integrated views of existence" (as a guide to life), which he saw as tending towards the denial of our existential reality.

Do we "need" a philosophy?

Personally I'm always a bit wary of those who tell us what our "only choice" may or may not be, living as they do in a world of "Either/or" rather than "both/and".

But then, if you tend towards seeking to live by an integrated philosophy , the idea of "both/and" would be a no no.

Far better to justify the deaths of people in trains who were no more than cattle because they did not share one's own "integrated views".

Yes, I have read "Atlas Shrugged".
ShivanTech On June 13, 2013

Stevens, Pennsylvania
#3New Post! Apr 28, 2013 @ 18:14:50
@dookie Said

Who needs guesses when we have Google?

Ayn Rand.

I would give Søren Kierkegaard a try for alternatives, a man who had little time for "integrated views of existence" (as a guide to life), which he saw as tending towards the denial of our existential reality.

Do we "need" a philosophy?

Personally I'm always a bit wary of those who tell us what our "only choice" may or may not be, living as they do in a world of "Either/or" rather than "both/and".

But then, if you tend towards seeking to live by an integrated philosophy , the idea of "both/and" would be a no no.

Far better to justify the deaths of people in trains who were no more than cattle because they did not share one's own "integrated views".

Yes, I have read "Atlas Shrugged".

I should have known better then to throw out a guess who with a quote; someone would 90% of the time google it

BUT ANYWAYS, yes I still struggle with the idea that everyone needs a philosophy, but I absolutely cannot stand when someone tells me I do not have a choice in any matter. There is always something that can be done. You can either go through with what society expects you to do, or you can think about it, logically, with your own will, and make a decision for yourself, by yourself.

Maybe I just contradicted myself, hmmm... I think I should have said that everyone may HAVE a philosophy instead of saying NEED. It is ultimately up to the individual to make the decision to recognize their own, already made philosophy. Those who choose to not make that decision in self-recognition, would probably claim they do not have a philosophy.

Yes, I was quoting Ayn Rand. The books was Philosophy: Who Needs It?
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 28, 2013 @ 18:44:41
@ShivanTech Said

I should have known better then to throw out a guess who with a quote; someone would 90% of the time google it

BUT ANYWAYS, yes I still struggle with the idea that everyone needs a philosophy, but I absolutely cannot stand when someone tells me I do not have a choice in any matter. There is always something that can be done. You can either go through with what society expects you to do, or you can think about it, logically, with your own will, and make a decision for yourself, by yourself.

Maybe I just contradicted myself, hmmm... I think I should have said that everyone may HAVE a philosophy instead of saying NEED. It is ultimately up to the individual to make the decision to recognize their own, already made philosophy. Those who choose to not make that decision in self-recognition, would probably claim they do not have a philosophy.

Yes, I was quoting Ayn Rand. The books was Philosophy: Who Needs It?

Really, I have no particular argument with you. I would prefer expressing it as "an unexamined life is not worth living" (look it up on google.......... - if you need to!) But even here, as I see it, there are many who have lived "unexamined lives", and who have no "philosophy" as such, who nevertheless have known love, self-sacrifice and have expressed it in empathy towards others. I don't think we need to exalt the "noble savage" - or believe in any such thing - to recognise this. And their lives have been well worth living.

And just referencing.......or let your subconscious accumulate a junk heap of unwarranted conclusions as an "either/or" alternative to having a fixed philosophy. As I see it, this is by no means the only alternative. Such a "junk heap" has been very revealing to many, like Jung and Joseph Campbell among others. I don't think "unwarranted conclusions" have to follow, or even be made.
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#5New Post! Apr 28, 2013 @ 19:07:59
@ShivanTech Said

"A philosophic system is an integrated view of existence. As a human being, you have no choice about the fact that you need a philosophy. Your only choice is whether you define your philosophy by a conscious, rational, disciplined process of thought... or let your subconscious accumulate a junk heap of unwarranted conclusions..."

Can you guess who said this?

Here's another!

"The nature of your actions-and of your ambition- will be different, according to which set of answers you come to accept. These answers are the province of metaphysics-the study of existence as such or, in Aristotle's words, of "being qua being"- the basic branch of philosophy."

I absolutely love this person's works and the message often conveyed.

Oh well, I understand how subjective that was and inadequate to much of any point. We'd like to have a philosophy for living up the opportunities for a life time. Human nature hid mine for the feeling that I wasn't free . She' the moral head isn't she?

Got to be free once the morals are so natural to question.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs