The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Should we accept all of the bible? (replacement for "No Subject", lol.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 23:27:03
I take the bible as 100% accurate in essence, if not literally word for word. I also believe that it interprets itself if you let it and don;t go at it with pre-conceived ideas.

Why do I say that? and how do you let scripture interpret itself?

There are reporting differences typical to any duplicated reports from different eye witnesses.

There are also some scriptures which, whether due to translation or other reasons are somewhat ambiguous. However all such ambiguities can be resolved by searching out other scriptures on the same topic and comparing them to narrow down the possible meanings.

One of my favourite examples of that is John 17:21-23 link [wol.jw.org] "in order that they may all be one,*+ just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you,+ that they also may be in union with us,+ in order that the world may believe that you sent me forth.+ 22 Also, I have given them the glory that you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are one.+ 23 I in union with them and you in union with me, in order that they may be perfected into one,+ that the world may have the knowledge that you sent me forth and that you loved them just as you loved me."

This helps explain the meaning of John 10:30 link [wol.jw.org] "I and the Father are one.", as meaning that Jesus and his Father are united, not literally one. After all if Jesus, his Father and Jesus followers are all to be one it cannot be literal.

That is how scripture interprets scripture.

Anyone who takes one part of scripture and rejects another is, in effect, calling God and Christ liars. After all, Christ himself said, in prayer to his Father "your word is truth", and he always taught from it. I am sure they will ignore that tacit accusation, lol, NOT!
kbit On February 08, 2013

Belleville, Canada
#2New Post! Feb 07, 2013 @ 04:36:51
The bible was written by men and that alone makes it full of mistakes. For example lets take a quick look at the last book , Revelations. Between stealing the beast from Daniel and changing God to the Devil { from Isaiah} I would conclude quite fast that whoever wrote Revelations was simply a man with a head full of images from reading old {even then} writings, perhaps too much wine? No folks , the bible is not accurate at all, and then one has to take in account all the bad translations and phrases taken out of context that people cling to and one is left feeling numb by the enormity of the misunderstanding.Another example of misunderstanding is this whole devil , satan , lucifer thing, from Isaiah again { only place where lucifer is mentioned }while satan is from the jewish traditions and the truth is simply the prophet talking about the king of babylon!Early christians simply demonized middle eastern gods and it has snowballed from there. The narrow gate is simply the truth and it is very hard to discover.So go ahead , believe what you will but ask yourselves , how much truth do I really know??

Banned

#3New Post! Feb 07, 2013 @ 10:15:12
@kbit Said

The bible was written by men and that alone makes it full of mistakes. For example lets take a quick look at the last book , Revelations. Between stealing the beast from Daniel and changing God to the Devil { from Isaiah} I would conclude quite fast that whoever wrote Revelations was simply a man with a head full of images from reading old {even then} writings, perhaps too much wine? No folks , the bible is not accurate at all, and then one has to take in account all the bad translations and phrases taken out of context that people cling to and one is left feeling numb by the enormity of the misunderstanding.Another example of misunderstanding is this whole devil , satan , lucifer thing, from Isaiah again { only place where lucifer is mentioned }while satan is from the jewish traditions and the truth is simply the prophet talking about the king of babylon!Early christians simply demonized middle eastern gods and it has snowballed from there. The narrow gate is simply the truth and it is very hard to discover.So go ahead , believe what you will but ask yourselves , how much truth do I really know??

Your years of reading it haven't actually done you all that much good have they.

The bible is, as Jesus said in prayer to his Father, truth.

It is all inspired of God. Some directly, some like an editor telling his reporters "get out there and cover it".

Isaiah is not the only place where Lucifer is mentioned, it is the only place where Satan is given that name, for the purposes of illustrating a point. But then his names of Satan and the Devil are also for illustrative purposes, since they are really titles not names. The one describes him as a resistor, the other as a slanderer. What his actual name is we re never told. He is also described as a serpent and a dragon.

Revelations is actually a distillation from a number of other prophecies in Isaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel and others and is an accurate prophecy of what has happened in recent centuries and is happening now. Do you not understand Revelation The basics of it are now clearly well known, if not the detail.

Do you underestimate God's power to communicate as much as you do His power to part the Red Sea? How about His power to make the sun appear to stand still for "almost a whole day"? Do you doubt that also.

You cannot pick scripture apart like that..

Despite the reporting differences in some eye witness accounts, none of which affect the overall story, the bible is true, from Genesis to Revelation.

If you deny that you are in effect calling God and Christ liars because both have sworn that it is.

Reporting differences?

Yes, for instance, the counting of Solomon's stables.

Critics leap on that with glee, but in their eagerness to appear clever are they missing something?

Yes the accounts are vastly different, but is that because one was counting the stable buildings and the other the individual stalls? That could easily account for the difference, especially if the one who was counting the stalls was onyl estimating, lol.

People just don;t think past finding what they want, or what suits them. They don't look at all the possibilities first and then decide. A bad mistake.

Even some of those who believe, like yourself, try to reduce things to what they can accept rather than take all factors into account (like the size of the Israelite party at the Red sea).
kbit On February 08, 2013

Belleville, Canada
#4New Post! Feb 08, 2013 @ 03:36:19
Simply believing that the bible is all true is no different from any other religion in the world with its believers. Saying that just because I can't accept some fantastical story from the bible at face value and then accuse me of calling God a liar , is in my opinion a cheap way to defend your beliefs, which makes you no better than those islanders from PNG who beat and murdered a woman because they BELIEVED she was a witch.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21363894

I have a thick skin but you have no idea what I do and don't understand about the bible and as such you come across as a bit desperate in your haste to justify your beliefs/doctrine. I approached the bible in adulthood and took the approach that if there was any truth in it ,that I would find it. Well thirty odd years later I have found some truths that has caused me to believe in the God of Israel WITHOUT accepting that the bible is true. The bible is a collection of documents written by men {some by Gods' inspiration} and as such cannot help but be full of crap. The bible is like a goldmine , not all is gold but gold is there if one works at it.

Banned

#5New Post! Feb 08, 2013 @ 10:24:55
Where did Kbit's reply, of 7 hours or so ago, vanish to? lol.
Freyathehippy On April 03, 2013

Deleted

The bumhole of nowhere, United
#6New Post! Feb 14, 2013 @ 21:41:58
@MadCornishBiker Said

Where did Kbit's reply, of 7 hours or so ago, vanish to? lol.

Maybe he got fed up with you.

Banned

#7New Post! Feb 14, 2013 @ 22:17:40
@Freyathehippy Said

Maybe he got fed up with you.

He wouldn't be the first, lol, but that doesn't explain why his reply disappeared.

If you hadn't noticed there are quite a few on here who have me on block.

If they want to hide from truth that's their choice. It doesn't worry me, I do what I do out of obedience to God and Christ, no-one else.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#8New Post! Feb 14, 2013 @ 22:18:49
@MadCornishBiker Said

He wouldn't be the first, lol, but that doesn't explain why his reply disappeared.

If you hadn't noticed there are quite a few on here who have me on block.

If they want to hide from truth that's their choice. It doesn't worry me, I do what I do out of obedience to God and Christ, no-one else.

DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#9New Post! Feb 14, 2013 @ 22:19:59
There is no grand conspiracy, the new guy included a link, the system automatically removes posts from new people with links because 99% of the time it is spam.

You should be able to see it now.

Banned

#10New Post! Feb 14, 2013 @ 22:21:27
@DiscordTiger Said

There is no grand conspiracy, the new guy included a link, the system automatically removes posts from new people with links because 99% of the time it is spam.

You should be able to see it now.

Oh I didn't think there was conspiracy, lol, just couldn't understand it.

Yeah it looks like it is there now. Thanks for explaining.

Banned

#11New Post! Feb 14, 2013 @ 22:22:41

If he is doing that, up there in Heaven it isn't at me, lol, more likely at people's reaction to his message which I carry.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs