Retail hub to culture hub - could we potentially change city centers

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
davidpmartin On February 17, 2013

Liverpool/London, United Kingd
#46New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 22:47:47
@Grrrl Said

Again, this sounds good, I do believe that things like museums, libraries and galleries do need to find ways to make themselves more approachable to people who are not currently using them. Putting themselves on the high street might be a good first step- but I wonder how you'd stop it from becoming a gimmick or one off?

I think the easiest way to introduce it is could actually be through novelty

For example there was once an art project in scotland that was essentially a library of artwork, people could go in rent the works and people would drive to there house and install it and pick it up two days later

i cant remember the name of the work all i know is it was in an art festival last year

but things like that could be the gateway to this.

Another example, maybe you could get a council to let you have a unit where you orgonise free public lectures / debates. i mean most streets are even pedestrian now you could even organise a platform there.

Everything i am saying all sounds very ancient greek so maybe i just need a time machine
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 22:48:24
@someone_else_again Said

What I meant (and townie_guy is addressing) is Grrrl's idea to turn shops into residences. In my town, you cannot do that in certain areas as they are intended solely for commercial and light industrial purposes.

Oh wait! I'm a bit of an idiot. People live above shops all the time (as in in upstairs flats), so if there's a rule, it wouldn't relate to the area of town, it'd have to be some other grounds.

#48New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 22:49:12
@someone_else_again Said

Okay, I'm not really sure you followed the rabbit trail of conversation though.

What I meant (and townie_guy is addressing) is Grrrl's idea to turn shops into residences. In my town, you cannot do that in certain areas as they are intended solely for commercial and light industrial purposes.

ahhh yeah i lost that but i did comment on that before as well,

apologies for the confusion
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 22:49:37
@Grrrl Said

Oh wait! I'm a bit of an idiot. People live above shops all the time (as in in upstairs flats), so if there's a rule, it wouldn't relate to the area of town, it'd have to be some other grounds.

Yeah I think you can live anywhere you just cant build shops or industry anywhere. That has to be approved.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#50New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 22:54:46
@townie_guy Said

Yeah I think you can live anywhere you just cant build shops or industry anywhere. That has to be approved.

You can't live on an industrial estate. When a place becomes a home it then gets a whole different set of rights.

Having said that it has been possible when enough people want to put in residences in an industrial area and legislation is approved for people to convert industrial units into homes.

You have to take into consideration that people may well turn around and start complaining about lorries, noise and air pollution which is no use to the industries.

In areas like docklands they have managed to turn it around into residences because of the lack of industry there now. They have even turned cargo containers into self contained flats.

So its possible but unusual.
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#51New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 22:56:11
@davidpmartin Said

I think the easiest way to introduce it is could actually be through novelty

For example there was once an art project in scotland that was essentially a library of artwork, people could go in rent the works and people would drive to there house and install it and pick it up two days later

i cant remember the name of the work all i know is it was in an art festival last year

but things like that could be the gateway to this.

Another example, maybe you could get a council to let you have a unit where you orgonise free public lectures / debates. i mean most streets are even pedestrian now you could even organise a platform there.

Everything i am saying all sounds very ancient greek so maybe i just need a time machine

I remember seeing a segment about that project on TV, it seemed quite interesting.
I'm not convinced that novelty always builds habit though. (I'm not saying don't try by any means!) I think you need to think about who the target audience is for these projects too. You can already go to lectures and fine art projects if you live in a large enough town. Those kinds of events are likely to only draw the same people already taking part of them, rather than reach new audiences.
(I'm sorry, I'm coming off really negative, I do think there's something to what you're saying honestly!)
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#52New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 23:01:53
@Grrrl Said

I remember seeing a segment about that project on TV, it seemed quite interesting.
I'm not convinced that novelty always builds habit though. (I'm not saying don't try by any means!) I think you need to think about who the target audience is for these projects too. You can already go to lectures and fine art projects if you live in a large enough town. Those kinds of events are likely to only draw the same people already taking part of them, rather than reach new audiences.
(I'm sorry, I'm coming off really negative, I do think there's something to what you're saying honestly!)

We have a couple of "retail hubs" in my town. They're generally messy and filled with teenagers who have nothing better to do, causing trouble, fighting and robbing people..

As a result, we've seen a resurgence of small shops in our neighborhoods where you know the people who run them and they know you.. and they're really quite popular. Yes... the smaller shops are a little more expensive, but the convenience and community makes it worth it.

#53New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 23:02:01
@Grrrl Said

No i agree with you there but maybe if you start it as an open air summer project in a place people could stumble upon?
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Feb 06, 2013 @ 23:06:48
@davidpmartin Said

No i agree with you there but maybe if you start it as an open air summer project in a place people could stumble upon?

It's as good a starting point as any, but I think it's that middle piece between temporary events and longterm established cultural hubs that's missing. Perhaps public interest would allow it to grow organically? I don't know.

#55New Post! Feb 07, 2013 @ 11:19:33
@Grrrl Said

It's as good a starting point as any, but I think it's that middle piece between temporary events and longterm established cultural hubs that's missing. Perhaps public interest would allow it to grow organically? I don't know.

I think it could be one of those things where you have to convince people threw other mediums that it is a good thing otherwise there would be a lack of understanding\
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Feb 08, 2013 @ 00:54:18
@davidpmartin Said

I think it could be one of those things where you have to convince people threw other mediums that it is a good thing otherwise there would be a lack of understanding\

Such as?

#57New Post! Feb 08, 2013 @ 11:11:13
@Grrrl Said

Such as?

Well imagine anytime we enter a war or a conflict, newspapers television and the internet sort of push the reason why we are going into it. somtimes we back it and sometimes we protest. for example after 9/11it seemed like america could of literally decided whoever they want to attack if they used propaganda to say someone else did it.
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#58New Post! Feb 09, 2013 @ 01:08:08
@davidpmartin Said

Well imagine anytime we enter a war or a conflict, newspapers television and the internet sort of push the reason why we are going into it. somtimes we back it and sometimes we protest. for example after 9/11it seemed like america could of literally decided whoever they want to attack if they used propaganda to say someone else did it.

You have jumped a million miles away from what I thought we were talking about. I have literally no idea what your point is anymore.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#59New Post! Feb 09, 2013 @ 14:48:04
Interestingly Nottingham had some arty farty displays in the centre last night showing, about midnightish. Some of it was wierd, but in an interesting way.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs