The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Do you love Satan and demons as scriptures say you should?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#46New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 21:46:08
@MadCornishBiker Said

Lol.

Ezekiel 6:4-6
4 And YOUR altars must be made desolate+ and YOUR incense stands must be broken, and I will cause YOUR slain ones to fall before YOUR dungy idols.+ 5 And I will put the carcasses of the sons of Israel before their dungy idols, and I will scatter YOUR bones all around YOUR altars.+ 6 In all YOUR dwelling places+ the very cities will become devastated+ and the high places themselves will become desolated, in order that they may lie devastated+ and YOUR altars may lie desolated and be actually broken+ and YOUR dungy idols may be actually made to cease+ and YOUR incense stands cut down+ and YOUR works wiped out.

Okay, I have to chuckle at that one. What in the world is "dungy?" Is that to say "made of dung?"
magicgoat On July 05, 2013

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#47New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 21:55:39
@chaski Said

The bible says: "Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." ---Exodus 34:14

The quote says nothing about idols. It specifically says "any other god".

Why is god jealous of a god that do not exist?

Stop avoiding and answer my question.
It doesn't say. Especially with the account of Moses, the issue was about statues and what those statues symbolized to those who kept them.

It was the apostle Paul who much later asserted that the statues made to false gods where the gods which did not exist.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#48New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 21:57:04
@magicgoat Said

It doesn't say. Especially with the account of Moses, the issue was about statues and what those statues symbolized to those who kept them.

It was the apostle Paul who much later asserted that the statues made to false gods where the gods which did not exist.

A truthful answer. Thank you.
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 22:15:56
@someone_else_again Said

Okay, I have to chuckle at that one. What in the world is "dungy?" Is that to say "made of dung?"

More like Dungy in the sense of like dung.The meaning is similar to how we use the equivalents today.

Filthy, disgusting, rubbish.

Basically Jehovah was showing his contempt for idol worship in any form.

If you think if the example of the Golden Calf that the Israelites badgered Aaron into making for them, which is declared as "your God who led you up out of Israel", to try to link it with Jehovah, and How Jehovah reacted to that. He feels exactly the same about any image intended to represent Him.

The Golden Calf https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101978090?q=%22golden+calf%22&p=par (From "My Book of Bible Stories" )

"OH, OH! What are the people doing now? They are praying to a calf! Why are they doing this?
When Moses stays up on the mountain for a long time, the people say: ‘We do not know what has happened to Moses. So let’s make a god to lead us out of this land.’
‘All right,’ Moses’ brother Aaron says. ‘Take off your gold earrings, and bring them to me.’ When the people do so, Aaron melts them down and makes a golden calf. And the people say: ‘This is our God, who led us out of Egypt!’ Then the Israelites have a big party, and worship the golden calf.
When Jehovah sees this, he is very angry. So he says to Moses: ‘Hurry and go down. The people are acting very badly. They have forgotten my laws and are bowing down to a golden calf.’
Moses hurries down the mountain. And when he gets close, this is what he sees. The people are singing and dancing around the golden calf! Moses is so angry that he throws down the two flat stones with the laws on them, and they break into many, many pieces. He then takes the golden calf and melts it down. Then he grinds it into powder.
The people have done a very bad thing. So Moses tells some of the men to take their swords. ‘The bad people who worshipped the golden calf must die,’ Moses says. And so the men strike dead 3,000 people! Doesn’t this show that we need to be careful to worship only Jehovah, and not any false gods?"

Exodus 32:1-35. "Meanwhile the people got to see that Moses was taking a long time about coming down from the mountain.+ So the people congregated themselves about Aaron and said to him: “Get up, make for us a god* who will go ahead of us,+ because as regards this Moses, the man who led us up out of the land of Egypt,+ we certainly do not know what has happened to him.” 2 At this Aaron said to them: “Tear off the gold earrings+ that are in the ears of YOUR wives, of YOUR sons and of YOUR daughters and bring them to me.” 3 And all the people began tearing off the gold earrings that were in their ears and bringing them to Aaron. 4 Then he took [the gold]* from their hands, and he formed it+ with a graving tool and proceeded to make it into a molten statue of a calf.+ And they* began to say: “This is your God,* O Israel, who led you up out of the land of Egypt.”+
5 When Aaron got to see this, he went to building an altar before it. Finally Aaron called out and said: “There is a festival to Jehovah tomorrow.” 6 So on the next day they were early in rising, and they began offering up burnt offerings and presenting communion sacrifices. After that the people sat down to eat and drink. Then they got up to have a good time.+
7 Jehovah now said to Moses: “Go, descend, because your people whom you led up out of the land of Egypt have acted ruinously.+ 8 They have turned aside in a hurry from the way I have commanded them to go.+ They have made a molten statue of a calf for themselves and keep bowing down to it and sacrificing to it and saying, ‘This is your God,* O Israel, who led you up out of the land of Egypt.’”+ 9 And Jehovah went on to say to Moses: “I have looked at this people and here it is a stiff-necked people.+ 10 So now let me be, that my anger may blaze against them and I may exterminate them,+ and let me make you into a great nation.”+
11 And Moses proceeded to soften the face of Jehovah his God+ and to say: “Why, O Jehovah, should your anger+ blaze against your people whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and with a strong hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians+ say, ‘With evil intent he brought them out in order to kill them among the mountains and to exterminate them from the surface of the ground’?+ Turn from your burning anger+ and feel regret+ over the evil against your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac and Israel your servants, to whom you swore by yourself,+ in that you said to them, ‘I shall multiply YOUR seed* like the stars of the heavens,+ and all this land that I have designated I shall give to YOUR seed,+ that they may indeed take possession of it to time indefinite.’”+
14 And Jehovah began to feel regret over the evil that he had spoken of doing to his people.+
15 After that Moses turned and went down from the mountain+ with the two tablets of the Testimony+ in his hand, tablets written upon on both their sides. On this side and on that they were written upon. 16 And the tablets were the workmanship of God, and the writing was the writing of God engraved upon the tablets.+ 17 And Joshua* began to hear the noise of the people because of their shouting, and he proceeded to say to Moses: “There is a noise of battle+ in the camp.” 18 But he said:
“It is not the sound of the singing over mighty performance,+
And it is not the sound of the singing of defeat;
It is the sound of other singing that I am hearing.”
19 So it came about that as soon as he got near the camp and could see the calf+ and the dances, Moses’ anger began to blaze, and he at once threw the tablets from his hands and shattered them at the foot of the mountain.+ 20 Then he took the calf that they had made and he burnt it with fire and crushed it till it was fine,+ after which he scattered it upon the surface of the waters+ and made the sons of Israel drink it.+ 21 After that Moses said to Aaron: “What did this people do to you that you have brought a great sin upon it?” 22 To this Aaron said: “Do not let the anger of my lord blaze. You yourself well know the people, that they are evil-inclined.+ 23 So they said to me, ‘Make for us a god* who will go ahead of us,+ because as regards this Moses, the man who led us up out of the land of Egypt, we certainly do not know what has happened to him.’ 24 Hence I said to them, ‘Who have any gold? They must tear it off themselves that they may give it to me.’ And I proceeded to throw it into the fire and this calf came on out.”
25 And Moses got to see that the people went unrestrained, because Aaron had let them go unrestrained+ for a disgrace among their opposers.+ 26 Then Moses took his stand in the gate of the camp and said: “Who is on Jehovah’s side?* To me!”+ And all the sons of Le′vi began gathering themselves to him. 27 He now said to them: “This is what Jehovah the God of Israel has said, ‘Put each one of YOU his sword on his side. Pass through and return from gate to gate in the camp and kill each one his brother and each one his fellow and each one his intimate acquaintance.’”+ 28 And the sons of Le′vi+ proceeded to do as Moses had said, so that there fell of the people on that day about three* thousand men. 29 And Moses went on to say: “Fill YOUR hand today with power* for Jehovah,+ because each one of YOU is against his own son and his own brother,+ and that he may confer a blessing upon YOU today.”+
30 And it came about on the very next day that Moses proceeded to say to the people: “YOU—YOU have sinned with a great sin,+ and now I shall go up to Jehovah. Perhaps I can make amends for YOUR sin.”+ 31 So Moses returned to Jehovah and said: “Ah, but this people has sinned with a great sin, in that they made a god* of gold for themselves!+ 32 But now if you will pardon their sin,+—and if not, wipe me out,+ please, from your book+ that you have written.” 33 However, Jehovah said to Moses: “Whoever has sinned against me, I shall wipe him out of my book.+ 34 And now, come, lead the people to where I have spoken to you of. Look! My angel will go ahead of you,+ and on the day of my bringing punishment I shall certainly bring punishment upon them for their sin.”+ 35 And Jehovah began plaguing the people because they had made the calf, which Aaron had made.+"
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#50New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 22:20:39
@MadCornishBiker Said

More like Dungy in the sense of like dung.The meaning is similar to how we use the equivalents today.

Filthy, disgusting, rubbish.

*snip*

Maybe you're not understanding. I am not familiar with any such word as "dungy." How is it pronounced?

Banned

#51New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 22:38:09
@someone_else_again Said

Maybe you're not understanding. I am not familiar with any such word as "dungy." How is it pronounced?

Really? You surprise me. As it is spelt.

It is simply dung with a Y on the end, as in cow dung, sheeps dung etc. (apparently camel dung burns well if yu need a fire, lol bet it smells a bit though).

dung [duhng] https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Dungy?s=t
noun
1. excrement, especially of animals; manure.
verb (used with object)
2. to manure (ground) with or as if with dung.

Origin:
before 1000; Middle English, Old English; cognate with Low German, German dung; compare Icelandic dyngja heap, dung, Swedish dynga dung, muck, Old High German tunga manuring

Related forms
dung·y, adjective.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#52New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 22:45:51
@MadCornishBiker Said

Really? You surprise me. As it is spelt.

It is simply dung with a Y on the end, as in cow dung, sheeps dung etc. (apparently camel dung burns well if yu need a fire, lol bet it smells a bit though).

dung [duhng] https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Dungy?s=t
noun
1. excrement, especially of animals; manure.
verb (used with object)
2. to manure (ground) with or as if with dung.

Origin:
before 1000; Middle English, Old English; cognate with Low German, German dung; compare Icelandic dyngja heap, dung, Swedish dynga dung, muck, Old High German tunga manuring

Related forms
dung·y, adjective.

Thank you. Perhaps you are not familiar with former Indianapolis Colts' coach, Tony Dungy. That is the only time I've ever seen that word and it is pronounced "Dun-je."

Banned

#53New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 22:53:24
@someone_else_again Said

Thank you. Perhaps you are not familiar with former Indianapolis Colts' coach, Tony Dungy. That is the only time I've ever seen that word and it is pronounced "Dun-je."

No I'm not, what an unfortunate name, I am sure have must have had a few jokes around that thrown at him.

I can see why it amused you so much now, lol.

Banned

#54New Post! Jan 16, 2013 @ 23:11:20
@chaski Said

A truthful answer. Thank you.

Truthful maybe, but not exactly accurate.

Idols and Idolatry are mentioned quite a lot.

Psalm 106:36
36 And they kept serving* their idols,+
And these came to be a snare to them.+

Jonah 2:8
8 As for those who are observing the idols of untruth, they leave their own loving-kindness.+

Acts 15:20
20 but to write them to abstain* from things polluted by idols+ and from fornication*+ and from what is strangled*+ and from blood.*+

1 Corinthians 8:4
4 Now concerning the eating+ of foods offered to idols, we know that an idol is nothing+ in the world,* and that there is no God but one.+

1 Corinthians 6:16
16 What! Do YOU not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body? For, “The two,” says he,* “will be one flesh.”+

1 John 5:21
21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols.+

Psalm 115:4
4 Their idols are silver and gold,+
The work of the hands of earthling man.*+

Isaiah 48:5
5 I also kept telling you from that time. Before it could come in, I caused you to hear [it],+ that you might not say, ‘My own idol has done them, and my own carved image and my own molten image have commanded them.’+

Micah 1:7
7 And her graven images will all be crushed to pieces,+ and all the gifts [made] to her as her hire will be burned in the fire;+ and all her idols I shall make a desolate waste. For from the things given as the hire of a prostitute she collected [them], and to the thing given as the hire of a prostitute they will return.”+

Acts 7:41
41 So they made a calf in those days+ and brought up a sacrifice to the idol and began to enjoy themselves in the works of their hands.+

1 Corinthians 5:11
11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company+ with* anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy+ person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard+ or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man.

1 Corinthians 5:10
10 not [meaning] entirely with the fornicators+ of this world+ or the greedy persons and extortioners or idolaters. Otherwise, YOU would actually have to get out of the world.+

1 Corinthians 6:9
9 What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom?+ Do not be misled. Neither fornicators,+ nor idolaters,+ nor adulterers,*+ nor men kept for unnatural purposes,+ nor men who lie with men,*+

1 Corinthians 10:7
7 Neither become idolaters, as some of them did;+ just as it is written: “The people sat down to eat and drink, and they got up to have a good time.”+

Ephesians 5:5
5 For YOU know this, recognizing it for yourselves, that no fornicator+ or unclean person or greedy person+—which means being an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of the Christ and of God.*+

1 Corinthians 10:14
14 Therefore, my beloved ones, flee+ from idolatry.+

Colossians 3:5
5 Deaden,+ therefore, YOUR body members+ that are upon the earth as respects fornication,* uncleanness,* sexual appetite,*+ hurtful desire, and covetousness,+ which is idolatry.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs