News & Current Events

Theater mass shooting.... almost.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
vekta On November 18, 2013

#16New Post! Dec 31, 2012 @ 08:04:40
@El_Tino Said

Just imagine how many suicides could be prevented if guns were harder to come by.

Unfortunately, that isn't the whole story and it's not as easy as that. It wouldn't prevent suicides and it would actually increase attempts at suicide. This has been discussed several times in the various required classes for my psych major.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#17New Post! Dec 31, 2012 @ 08:08:07
@vekta Said

Unfortunately, that isn't the whole story and it's not as easy as that. It wouldn't prevent suicides and it would actually increase attempts at suicide. This has been discussed several times in the various required classes for my psych major.

It increases attempts because more people are unsuccessful the first time. If you blow your head off you can't exactly attempt suicide again the next year. I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

Also, the pro-gun folks in congress have gone so far that they don't even allow the government to collect statistics on gun violence. How is anyone supposed to have a reasoned discussion when the congress is supressing the basic facts from being determined?
vekta On November 18, 2013

#18New Post! Dec 31, 2012 @ 11:41:09
@El_Tino Said

It increases attempts because more people are unsuccessful the first time. If you blow your head off you can't exactly attempt suicide again the next year. I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

Also, the pro-gun folks in congress have gone so far that they don't even allow the government to collect statistics on gun violence. How is anyone supposed to have a reasoned discussion when the congress is supressing the basic facts from being determined?

If the reasons for committing suicide in the first place are addressed better you could probably address the gun issue people are so overly focused on to. Root problem identification...revolutionary.

The Anti-rights folks in congress, the media and the local governments are suppressing basic facts to. You're going to cry foul all the sudden?

Didn't hear much about this now did you...

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs