Ready to eat: the first GM fish for the dinner table

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Alkaia On February 05, 2013

Deleted
Banned

naples, Florida
#1New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 13:24:49
US decision after 17-year battle over fast-growing salmon could pave way for same step in Britain

A GM salmon which grows twice as fast as ordinary fish could become the first genetically-modified animal in the world to be declared officially safe to eat, after America's powerful food-safety watchdog ruled it posed no major health or environmental risks.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said it could not find any valid scientific reasons to ban the production of GM Atlantic salmon engineered with extra genes from two other fish species – a decision that could soon lead to its commercial production
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/ready-to-eat-the-first-gm-fish-for-the-dinner-table-8430639.html

I wonder what they debated on for 17 years that held it up?

Look at those other interesting GM creations. hmmmm
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 14:28:14
As long as it tastes good I'm all for it. I love salmon but it is bloody expensive, so would be nice if this led to it being a bit cheaper.
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#3New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 14:43:10
@Alkaia Said

US decision after 17-year battle over fast-growing salmon could pave way for same step in Britain

A GM salmon which grows twice as fast as ordinary fish could become the first genetically-modified animal in the world to be declared officially safe to eat, after America's powerful food-safety watchdog ruled it posed no major health or environmental risks.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said it could not find any valid scientific reasons to ban the production of GM Atlantic salmon engineered with extra genes from two other fish species – a decision that could soon lead to its commercial production
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/ready-to-eat-the-first-gm-fish-for-the-dinner-table-8430639.html

I wonder what they debated on for 17 years that held it up?

Look at those other interesting GM creations. hmmmm

And from a human point of view NOW it's all for the sports fisherman to be equally respected as the environmentalist for obeying the law. In the same regions where there is GM salmon there is also gamed fish salmon. Is this the best of all possible worlds though.

Of course, in the un-engineered days there was the mutant and lamppray attacked salmon.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 15:09:01
when i was growing up, we had locks ( smoked salmon ) & bagels, something that jews like to eat for breakfast occasionally or at party. salmon is expensive to buy. in my family, we had a few times a year. when my father was alive. he loved have locks & bagels on sunday, when we can afford it. with this fish, and the fish make salmon cheaper, i can afford. scientists is calling this fish " frankenfish ", it can be call that yet. it is only officially, if syfs make a tv movie out of the fish.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs