The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Same Sex Couples Start Taking Wedding Vows!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#181New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 13:47:09
@boxerdc Said

If Glen got that out of my post, when I clearly stated CIVIL marriage and clearly stated that it had nothing to do with god or the church, then Glenn obviously has trouble with reading.

If this thread was in politics instead of news and current events, I could have said that in 4 words.

You know and I know you aint talking about Christian Marraige. Same as your not talking about Islam Marraige. Or a Wiccan Marraige(Im sure they exist).

And I think the church need to learn the seperation as well. As I said earlier I think its this little point where all the tension lies.

There is actually someone mentioning on this thread about Churches being forced by law to perform Civil Marraiges in a church, if they dont they will be shut for discrimination.

If someones belief dosnt agree with something, it cant really be changed. I know that the CHurch break other christian values however that is THERE business.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#182New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 13:52:41
Christians don't own marriage. Atheists and Jews and Muslims get marriesqall the time and somehow it hasn't stolen marriage from Christians.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#183New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 13:57:38
@townie_guy Said

You know and I know you aint talking about Christian Marraige. Same as your not talking about Islam Marraige. Or a Wiccan Marraige(Im sure they exist).

And I think the church need to learn the seperation as well. As I said earlier I think its this little point where all the tension lies.

There is actually someone mentioning on this thread about Churches being forced by law to perform Civil Marraiges in a church, if they dont they will be shut for discrimination.

If someones belief dosnt agree with something, it cant really be changed. I know that the CHurch break other christian values however that is THERE business.

If you walk into a church that you're not a member of, and it's a different denomination than yours, and the minister, or preacher, or priest has never met you and the woman you've got on your arm, does he have to marry you?

Of course not. Churches deny marriage all the time, and it's perfectly legal for them to do it. In order to have a ceremony in a church you have to abide by the rules of the church, and if you don't, they won't perform the ceremony.

So, if a church doesn't recognize same sex marriage as valid, then they're not going to marry same sex couples. s***.. churches here can still refuse to perform interracial marriages if they want.. They can refuse to perform a ceremony simply because they don't get a good "vibe" from the couple.

All this "Gays are going to sue the church and put them out of business" is bulls***, because it won't and CAN'T happen.. The people who say things like that simply don't have a big enough pair of balls to say what they really mean, which is "Gay can't get married because I don't like the thought of it".

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#184New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 13:59:54
@jonnythan Said

Christians don't own marriage. Atheists and Jews and Muslims get marriesqall the time and somehow it hasn't stolen marriage from Christians.

Different marraige ceremonies. Im sure you have to be ordained to do a christian ceremony.

Deleted

#185New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:02:12
@townie_guy Said

Different marraige ceremonies. Im sure you have to be ordained to do a christian ceremony.

So, are atheists allowed to marry?

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#186New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:07:43
@boxerdc Said

So, are atheists allowed to marry?

What sort of marraige do you refer to?

Islamic?
Jewish?
Wiccan?
Christian?

All religions have different rules on their ceremonies.

I reckon even the church of Satan will have its own ceremony.
Rini On January 16, 2014

, Georgia
#187New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:12:46
Great to see this is finally happening WOOO!!!

Deleted

#188New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:13:46
@townie_guy Said

What sort of marraige do you refer to?

Islamic?
Jewish?
Wiccan?
Christian?

All religions have different rules on their ceremonies.

I reckon even the church of Satan will have its own ceremony.

I would expect that an atheist couple would have a civil ceremony. The same sort of ceremony that same sex couples want..

Is a heterosexual atheist civil ceremony against god?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#189New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:27:41
@boxerdc Said

I would expect that an atheist couple would have a civil ceremony. The same sort of ceremony that same sex couples want..

Both hubby and I are Atheists. We were married by a minister(I think he is Presbyterian), who we told that we were Atheists. He had no issue preforming the ceremony. He asked us what version we wanted him to read, we told him one that just talks about marriage with no mention of God. He was fine with that.

The only reason that we didn't have it preformed in a civil way was because it would have cost us $600 for a Justice of the Peace instead of $200 for the minister.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#190New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:31:14
@boxerdc Said

A civil ceremony has no religious elemnts. It matters not. Its only when you start asking religious people to do something against there own beliefs, I believe a line should be drawn. As a respect to religious mans beliefs (suicidal extremist types not included). However in return the religious types should keep there religion within church and not out of it.

However a licence to marry should be provided to anyone. The ceremony type should not dictate who can and cant get married. Just who can have that ceremony. IE if I was a Christian and I wanted to get an Islamic marraige in a mosque, it would not happen.

But the ceremony is not the legal side. The religious bit is between the two partners and the church.

However the licence or certificate whould not be ealt with by the religion.

In my eyes that keeps all parties happy.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#191New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:33:36
@townie_guy Said
Its only when you start asking religious people to do something against there own beliefs

What if your beliefs are that racial segregation is mandatory and black people therefore cannot come to your church?

The law respects religious beliefs, but it's not absolute.

Deleted

#192New Post! Dec 12, 2012 @ 14:40:55
@jonnythan Said

What if your beliefs are that racial segregation is mandatory and black people therefore cannot come to your church?

The law respects religious beliefs, but it's not absolute.

When it comes to marriage, a preacher can refuse to marry an interracial couple if he believes it's not in the best interest of his religion..

Doesn't mean that they can't get married.. just that particular preacher won't perform the ceremony.

And honestly, the ceremony is just that... a ceremony. It has no meaning other than putting on a show in front of friends and family so you can get presents.. I'm sure that people like Glenn believe that god didn't consider him married until a preacher said he was, but consider the source there..

The ceremony isn't the important part.. the MARRIAGE is what's important, and that's for the rest of your life.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs