The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Was Jesus, as Paul suggests, truly in subjection to his Father?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:02:18
The second question to follow on from that is does Jesus really have a God as both Paul and Peter say.

Where do those questions arise?

(1 Corinthians 11:3) But I want YOU to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.

There Paul suggests that Christ is the "head" of man in precisely the same way that God is his "head".

(Ephesians 1:3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for he has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in union with Christ

(1 Peter 1:3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for according to his great mercy he gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead

Here both Paul and Peter clam that Jesus does indeed have a God.

Does that argue with, or fit in with, the bulk of scripture?

Well you decide, but here is just some of it.

Subjection to God

John 6:38 because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me"

John 8:42 Jesus said to them: “If God were YOUR Father, YOU would love me, for from God I came forth and am here. Neither have I come of my own initiative at all, but that One sent me forth

Revelation 1:1 A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent forth his angel and presented [it] in signs through him to his slave John

Had a beginning

John 1:1 In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. 2 This one was in [the] beginning with God. (though many would disagree with this rendition of John 1:1 an examination of the original Greek and certain ancient manuscripts shows that it is in fact the original meaning)

Joh 1:1—“and the Word was a god (godlike; divine)” Gr., (original language characters did not survive copy and paste, sorry) (kai the·os' en ho lo'gos)

1808 “and the word was a god” The New Testament, in An Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome’s New Translation: With a Corrected Text, London.

1864 “and a god was the Word” The Emphatic Diaglott (J21, in the interlinear reading), by Benjamin Wilson, New York and London.

1935 “and the Word was divine” The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed, Chicago.

1950 “and the Word was a god” New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures, Brooklyn.

1975 “and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word” Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz,Göttingen, Germany.

1978 “and godlike sort was the Logos” Das Evangelium nach Johannes,by Johannes Schneider,Berlin.

1979 “and a god was the Logos” Das Evangelium nach Johannes,by Jürgen Becker, Würzburg, Germany.

Since Jesus was there "in the beginning, this can be taken to demonstrate that Jesus had a beginning, because it does not say he was there before the beginning, and God had no beginning so that word can only mean the beginning of creation and the he was not there before it.

Revelation 3:14 “And to the angel of the congregation in Laodicea write: These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God

Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains themselves were born,
Or you proceeded to bring forth as with labour pains the earth and the productive land,
Even from time indefinite to time indefinite you are God

(An interesting application of the word "born" )
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#2New Post! Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:08:42
But scientists you are saying have a very different reception of the connecting words people read for their explanations of the moments of physical and human experience. A scientific explanation has positively a different expulsion of transcendence into the realm of immediate experience than imaginative wording.

Banned

#3New Post! Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:36:55
@Reviso Said

But scientists you are saying have a very different reception of the connecting words people read for their explanations of the moments of physical and human experience. A scientific explanation has positively a different expulsion of transcendence into the realm of immediate experience than imaginative wording.

If you are saying what I think you are saying you are right, so that means we have to choose whose version we accept, and realise that our lives may well rest on our decision.

Banned

#4New Post! Oct 14, 2012 @ 18:31:02
What happened to the reply by Johnoneone?
burnick On December 02, 2012

, Philippines
#5New Post! Oct 15, 2012 @ 11:34:05
amen
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs