Forums: Art & Literature:
Photography

Historic Flight Foundation 2012

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#1New Post! Sep 06, 2012 @ 02:24:37
When I walked away at the end of the event last year I started thinking about this years. Unfortunately it ended up to be quite disappointing from a photographic perspective. Besides fighting lousy light I used a CPL when it ended up that I shouldn't have. Of course I didn't know that until I looked at my shots when I got home and getting to re-shoot them is out of the question..... until next year. Yes I'm as excited now just thinking about it because it's a great aviation event imo but until then these will have to do.

One other thing... I used my new 70 - 200 and in the future I will use my 100 - 400 providing it's a sunny day. With the 70 - 200 I ended up having to do really, really big crops and even though I love the lens imo it isn't an airshow lens. It's great for my spotting though because I can get physically close to the active runways at the airports that I frequent.

Spitfire...........

Spitfire again.............

P-51D " Mustang ".... as you can see the light was shining on it's tail which is pretty much how the day went. If they would have been flying from left to right everything would have been great.

A AT-6 " Harvard " or for the USA a " Texan " and a nice 1937 Waco

1952 Cessna 195B

And if you get a real crappy shot you convert it to B & W to try and save it....

If you want to kill some time by looking at some lousy shots here's where I'm hiding them...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guypambrun/sets/72157631413439486/

Thanks for looking....
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 06, 2012 @ 10:30:10
Great stuff! The light never seems to be where you want it at airshows. Most of the airshows in the UK seem to have a south-facing crowd line so you're shooting into the sun all the time.

I do like those big old tail-dragging radial Cessnas.

And on the subject of Wacos, here's a 1941 Waco UPF-7 from a few days ago.

This was taken at Little Gransden airshow, which has a Canadian link as a few yards away is Gransden Lodge airfield which is now a gliding club, but during WW2 was a base for 405 squadron RCAF who flew, amongst other things, Lancasters, so this appearance by the RAF BBMF Lancaster was very apporopriate.

At least the light was almost in the right place for that one, I've been trying to get a reasonable topside shot of the Lanc forever.

Last year 405 sqn RCAF sent over a CP-140 Aurora for the airshow, but the weather was rubbish so my photos of the grey aeroplane against the grey sky are pretty poor.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 06, 2012 @ 10:35:32
@ClickBoom Said

When I walked away at the end of the event last year I started thinking about this years. Unfortunately it ended up to be quite disappointing from a photographic perspective. Besides fighting lousy light I used a CPL when it ended up that I shouldn't have. Of course I didn't know that until I looked at my shots when I got home and getting to re-shoot them is out of the question..... until next year. Yes I'm as excited now just thinking about it because it's a great aviation event imo but until then these will have to do.

One other thing... I used my new 70 - 200 and in the future I will use my 100 - 400 providing it's a sunny day. With the 70 - 200 I ended up having to do really, really big crops and even though I love the lens imo it isn't an airshow lens. It's great for my spotting though because I can get physically close to the active runways at the airports that I frequent.

Spitfire...........

Spitfire again.............

P-51D " Mustang ".... as you can see the light was shining on it's tail which is pretty much how the day went. If they would have been flying from left to right everything would have been great.

A AT-6 " Harvard " or for the USA a " Texan " and a nice 1937 Waco

1952 Cessna 195B

And if you get a real crappy shot you convert it to B & W to try and save it....

If you want to kill some time by looking at some lousy shots here's where I'm hiding them...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/guypambrun/sets/72157631413439486/

Thanks for looking....

absolutely stunning photos
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 06, 2012 @ 10:37:00
@TheMightyOz Said

Great stuff! The light never seems to be where you want it at airshows. Most of the airshows in the UK seem to have a south-facing crowd line so you're shooting into the sun all the time.

I do like those big old tail-dragging radial Cessnas.

And on the subject of Wacos, here's a 1941 Waco UPF-7 from a few days ago.

This was taken at Little Gransden airshow, which has a Canadian link as a few yards away is Gransden Lodge airfield which is now a gliding club, but during WW2 was a base for 405 squadron RCAF who flew, amongst other things, Lancasters, so this appearance by the RAF BBMF Lancaster was very apporopriate.

At least the light was almost in the right place for that one, I've been trying to get a reasonable topside shot of the Lanc forever.

Last year 405 sqn RCAF sent over a CP-140 Aurora for the airshow, but the weather was rubbish so my photos of the grey aeroplane against the grey sky are pretty poor.

that is a sensational photo of a lancaster ... one flew over two weeks ago ... just as i was putting for par
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#5New Post! Sep 08, 2012 @ 00:01:30
Thanks and I'm glad you liked 'em.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs